Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 16th April 2012, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Default Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle

A friend of mine who owns a single owner Beetle which was used by his father when he was working in the UK as a doctor. The car has been lying idle for more than six to seven years . All trim and fittings are intact , removed from the car for safe storage .The car is in Patna . Can any one suggest a reliable place in Calcutta or Patna for doing up this car to its original condition. Please help as friend is desperate to have it running again .Few pictures attached for reference
Cheers !!

Peeve
Attached Images

peeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 21:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle

What year is the car ? Looks neat and clean. Hardly any rust

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeve View Post
A friend of mine who owns a single owner Beetle which was used by his father when he was working in the UK as a doctor. The car has been lying idle for more than six to seven years . All trim and fittings are intact , removed from the car for safe storage .The car is in Patna . Can any one suggest a reliable place in Calcutta or Patna for doing up this car to its original condition. Please help as friend is desperate to have it running again .Few pictures attached for reference
Cheers !!

Peeve

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2012 at 14:22. Reason: Correcting typos. Please proof-read before posting. Thanks
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 22:06   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Cheers !!

Peeve
Looks like a Fantastic car, As per me this should be a 1964.

I wish your friend the very best with finding a restorer, sorry could not help you with leads of a restorer at that part of the country

Calcutta..! can try, give me time, i shall get back to you on this.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 22:54   #4
BHPian

I was told it is 1964. Will get back more info from him .
Thank you

Peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
What year is the car ? Loos neat and clean. Hardly ay rust

Cheers
Old 17th April 2012, 10:58   #5
BHPian

Got more details from the owner . It is indeed a 1964 car , the engine has never been opened so far . It was running till about 6 years back , stopped using it after the brakes developed some issues . The original paint is the shade of blue what you see in the picture . The dry climate of Bihar has prevented it from rusting , overall an unmolested well preserved car .

Calcutta BHPians please I need your help on this

Cheers ,

Peeve

Quote:
I was told it is 1964. Will get back more info from him .
Thank you

Peeve
Old 17th April 2012, 13:30   #6
BHPian

Just some random musings here...

From the looks of it, from here, it doesn't look like this car needs much work. It'd be best to look for an old/experienced mechanic locally who's worked on old cars in general, and as a bonus possibly also on aluminium Boxer-engines. This is basically for getting someone with the correct mindset required for these cars. A Beetle is very easy to work on if the mechanic has his basics right, and is able to adapt that with the manufacturer's specifications!

Although, if the engine is unopened and was in good running shape six years ago when she was last driven, chances are she'd still do well with a bit of TLC. I'd suggest not to attempt starting the engine straight away, but to first remove all the plugs and turn the engine manually (by either tugging on the fan-belt, or by turning the crank pulley) to free it. Squirting some engine oil through the spark-plug holes while doing this may help a bit also. Check the old engine oil, and if it's not too scary start the engine with it and drain after warming up, or else replace at the outset. When changing the oil see if a detergent-based oil can be procured for flushing the engine with for a short while, and then replace with a second round of fresh oil. Removing the cover plate around the oil drain nut at the bottom of the chamber and checking the oil filter ('jaali') for sludge might be a good idea. It can be rinsed clean if required. If the plug-wires were not marked while unplugging remember the Beetle's firing order is 1-4-3-2 (unlike 1-3-4-2 of most other 4-cylinder engines) and the two engine tin plates on either bank are usually stamped with the cylinder number in front of the respective plug holes, so take it from the first plug-point on the distributor accordingly, clockwise. Start after cleaning the fuel tank and refilling with fresh petrol, or feeding from an external can/bottle. Get rid of the old fuel if it's been standing all these years, the gum in it will cause havoc otherwise.

Someday later, the oil-cooler may also be unbolted and pressure cleaned - it can be accessed by removing the fan shroud and technically can be done with the engine mounted. But since it's so easy to drop a Beetle's engine, it's easier doing it with the engine off the car.

Ask your friend to invest in a good set of tools, so that he has the entire range of sockets and Allen-keys to give the mechanic to work with, and take back in safe custody for ever. Forcing it with the wrong tool has caused the early demise of many of these engines. Using pliers to open nuts, or a screw-driver like a chisel is an absolute no-no. Also, ask your friend to get hold of a Haynes workshop manual before starting any work, if he hasn't got one already. And follow it to the letter, maybe after giving it a good read before, once or twice over.

Is she still running 6-volts or modified to 12V sometime along the way. The battery has to be accordingly, although 9V 'jugaads' are also commissioned, but that's another matter. If modified to 12V, your friend may have a competent electrician give it a thorough check once for everyday reliability because bad jobs have been known to cause headaches. Remember to always keep the battery terminals under the rear bench well insulated from the seat springs - it's not pleasant to have a little spark ignite a flame in the region! Check also for leaks/ overflow at the carburetor, because the distributor is close at hand, as also the dynamo (talking of the dynamo it comes with a cover over the check-window that is lost along the way, replace with a patti locally cut until a proper one can be sourced). Try to retain the mechanical fuel-pumping system with a new pump, in case the old one is not working well, avoid the local electric pumps as far as possible.

The mechanic can address other mechanical issues once she's running on the road on her own steam. Brakes, external suspension are quite straightforward - the concealed suspension system has some complications, but I don't think that'd be required to be fiddled with. Shock absorbers can be easily susbstituted with local alternatives - I think either the Amby or Matador ones are suitable.

The body can be easily attended to locally. Bihar has skilled painters, dent-beaters. They'll be cheaper and can be motivated to do a good job. But, your friend will have to invest his own time also, if he takes this route!

I hope I haven't lost my train of thoughts while writing the above - done in the middle of numerous phone calls simultaneously!
Prabal is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 14:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post

From the looks of it, from here, it doesn't look like this car needs much work. It'd be best to look for an old/experienced mechanic locally who's worked on old cars in general, and as a bonus possibly also on aluminium Boxer-engines. This is basically for getting someone with the correct mindset required for these cars. A Beetle is very easy to work on if the mechanic has his basics right, and is able to adapt that with the manufacturer's specifications!
Whew ! What an exhaustive set of guidelines .This should serve as reference to any beginner before he starts to meddle with his newly acquired classic, especially a Bug. Excellent compilation of the all the things to do. Thanks Prabhal.

Peeve

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th April 2012 at 14:29. Reason: Removing entire quote
peeve is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 19:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post

The mechanic can address other mechanical issues once she's running on the road on her own steam. Brakes, external suspension are quite straightforward - the concealed suspension system has some complications, but I don't think that'd be required to be fiddled with. Shock absorbers can be easily susbstituted with local alternatives - I think either the Amby or Matador ones are suitable.
I agree fully with Prabalji on all points except the shock absorbers.It is not advisable to fit Ambassador shocks for the front. If he is resourceful he should opt for the FICHTEL SACHS shock assembly or at least the cheaper COFAP shocks

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th April 2012 at 19:07. Reason: Removing entire quote
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
reference to any beginner before he starts to meddle with his newly acquired classic, especially a Bug. Peeve
Thank you for the appreciation, Peeve!

Personally I'm not in favour of giving one's car to the 'restorers' especially when it's a car that's in a good shape already like your friend's car is, but I understand his time-constraints necessitating it. Still, maybe he could yet have an experienced local mechanic come and do it at his place under supervision - the watchful eye could be that of any other family member/relative/friend/employee who's relatively freer, and little automotively-inclined...

However, some of the better-known names amongst the restoration fraternity of Calcutta are Messrs Sanjoy Ghosh, Gautam Mukherkee, Bumpu Sircar, Harshvardhan Kanoria, etc.

Infact, Mr. Bumpu Sircar's son is on the forum too, by the id @indrojitsircar, if I haven't jumped a letter or two there, and then there's our young Prithvi Tagore, whose id if I'm not mistaken is @mbz180, who too has been helping people with their restorations, as I've been reading; why don't you write to them? Maybe they can help. Even Mr. Kanoria is on the forum, but he is understandably a little peeved (pun intended!) with some folks here, so isn't interactive much these days. But you could seek him out through other avenues. And there's also the venerable Mr. John E Milne on the forum, I think his id is @his actual name, who could point you on the right path as well.

All the best in seeking an amenable Bug-Bong connection for your friend's VeeDub!

Heil!

Prabal

Edit: Sorry Mr. John A Milne, not E, my aplogies!

Last edited by Prabal : 23rd April 2012 at 15:36.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 01:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Car seems to be in pretty good nick from a few beetles i have seen lately. I guess some minor tinkering on the body, a coat of paint, suspension, brakes, wiring should make the car run in top notch. Ask your friend to check where there any oil spils under the car where it was parked for this time?
The engines usually do not need to be touched on bugs. But then it depends from case to case.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 08:38   #11
BHPian

At the risk of hijacking a thread, may I submit a few pics of a 1963 Bug a dear friend of mine acquired a few days ago. The car was sitting in a garden of another beetle afficionado and now that he is too old to take care of it, sold it to my friend. He also gave away two engines the 1200 cc and 1400 cc, while the car itself is 1600. It needs a lot of work but I would like a few pointers as there are no restorers in Srinagar. He also has a fastback up for sale but we didnt want that. Pavan Kadam, are you listening?
Attached Thumbnails
Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0337.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0338.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0339.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0340.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0341.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0342.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0344.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0345.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0346.jpg  

Help Needed to Restore this '64 Beetle-photo0347.jpg  

superlux is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 08:56   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlux View Post
At the risk of hijacking a thread, may I submit a few pics of a 1963 Bug a dear friend of mine acquired a few days ago. The car was sitting in a garden of another beetle afficionado and now that he is too old to take care of it, sold it to my friend. He also gave away two engines the 1200 cc and 1400 cc, while the car itself is 1600. It needs a lot of work but I would like a few pointers as there are no restorers in Srinagar. He also has a fastback up for sale but we didnt want that. Pavan Kadam, are you listening?

Well, i would suggest you to take off that 1600 Badge as this model never came with 1600 engines, This car looks more of a 1966 with a 1300 engine.

About restorers at Srinagar, i will not be able to help you with that, maybe Chandigarh would be the Best option to get it restored, there are 2 well known restorers i can refer you to. Do let me know if you need their contact details.

Certainly, i would love to adopt an Ailing VW, do let me know the details.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th December 2012 at 09:00.
Old 10th December 2012, 13:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Peeve - location of restoring a beetle in India is a no-brainer. Pavan Kadam is the best. Just put it in a truck and send it to Bangalore, then see him spread his magic. Right Pavan? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 19:01   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Peeve - location of restoring a beetle in India is a no-brainer. Pavan Kadam is the best. Just put it in a truck and send it to Bangalore, then see him spread his magic. Right Pavan? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thoroughly honoured to get this from a person of your stature Thank you very much sir. Well, i am trying my level best to do some sort of selfless justice to the VW clan in the country. Hope i am successful at this.
Old 11th December 2012, 09:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Thoroughly honoured to get this from a person of your stature Thank you very much sir. Well, i am trying my level best to do some sort of selfless justice to the VW clan in the country. Hope i am successful at this.
Dear Pavan - you deserve it because I have seen how you did the blue Topolino. I would have done it the same way. There is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way. Also remember, you are providing a unique output, so the time has come to brand yourself. A small caution though, please do not compromise on your quality and your commitment, no matter what commercial considerations come your way, then you will always win. I wish you all the best!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote