Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 23:25   #31
BHPian
 
jawabiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashik
Posts: 144
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ranjit - thanks for your reply. Sadly, I now work 205 kms away from my "ex" (office!). . I have located a guy near my office here, let me see.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Sir is it MH 12 / 14 or MH 20 where are you located now.

If MH 20 then the job will be more reasonable and effective.

If MH 12 / 14 then rates will be like gold plating...

If you still wish to do in nashik prasad and i can close this for you.


Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:24   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,659 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Dear Ranjit - it is MH14, and I cannot afford "gold plating". Let me check nevertheless. I don't mind taking the bumpers to MH20 if the guy is really good and also reasonable.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 12:34   #33
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Update as on 21.06.2012

The progress on MVC 382 has some how suddenly taken a stop. It is now moving ahead slower than Anna Hazare's Lokpal bill.

Painting, chrome plating, buffing and almost everything is in place. But somehow my mechanic is completely tied up with some or the other "urgent" work and is just not touching the bike.

We have now decided as this saturday to be the day when we start the assembly. My mechanic says he needs to be in a "good mood" and will finish off maximum work on the same day.

Hoping that this saturday is the day.

Will update on the progress.
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 13:07   #34
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Nice restoration job. Looking forward for the final pix. However, I would have suggested a post rain restoration to enjoy the bike everyday.

Please ensure that you clean all the crome parts with diesel every fortnight and if you happend to ride in rain then immediately after reaching home to avoid rusting problems.
Thank you Sir for the appreciation.

I too had planned to finish off the bike before monsoons but some how it got delayed for some or the other reason.

I will keep in mind your point on cleaning the chrome parts on a regular basis to avoid the rusting problem.

Thanks n regards,
Prasad.
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:56   #35
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Update as on 28.06.2012

The speed of work on MVC 382 has now changed the speed !!

Till now it was slow and now it is even slower.

My mechanic has fired the only help that he had in his shop and is now working all alone !!

Anyways, I am visiting the garage EVERYDAY to push him to start the work on my bike. Slowly I have realized that depending on him is becoming frustrating day by day and therefore have decided to work on my bike myself along with him.

Today, I got the rims fitted with the spokes and the alignment done from another shop. The bearings had gone bad and therefore had to replace some.

We will be starting the assembly work from this Saturday.

Posting the current pics of the bike and the rims that I got today.
Attached Thumbnails
Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00538201206281151.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00539201206281151.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00522201206261508.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00523201206261508.jpg  

350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:31   #36
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

350biker, atleast the painting has been finished before the downpours start! I'm still stuck at the painting phase!! I think my tinker and painter have conspired to NEVER touch my bike

Did you obtain new rims? These look to be the Delhi-made ones, not the original Mantap rims. New spokes also, obviously?

Hoping to see her finsihed soon, its so close now!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:37   #37
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
350biker, atleast the painting has been finished before the downpours start! I'm still stuck at the painting phase!! I think my tinker and painter have conspired to NEVER touch my bike

Did you obtain new rims? These look to be the Delhi-made ones, not the original Mantap rims. New spokes also, obviously?

Hoping to see her finsihed soon, its so close now!

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul,

All I can say is do not depend on your mechanic / painter. I too had the same problem, but i kept visiting their shops EVERYDAY to ensure that they start the work. Take them out for a cup of chai and thoda maska maaro

Regarding the rims, these are the original Mandap rims that i got chrome plated. The plating has been done extremely well and therefore they look new but are the original 1986 rims.

however, the spokes have been bought new.

All the best for your restoration. Sorry if i have missed out, but do you have a thread for your restoration ??
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:45   #38
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 913
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
Update as on 28.06.2012

The speed of work on MVC 382 has now changed the speed !!

Till now it was slow and now it is even slower.

My mechanic has fired the only help that he had in his shop and is now working all alone !!

Anyways, I am visiting the garage EVERYDAY to push him to start the work on my bike. Slowly I have realized that depending on him is becoming frustrating day by day and therefore have decided to work on my bike myself along with him.

Today, I got the rims fitted with the spokes and the alignment done from another shop. The bearings had gone bad and therefore had to replace some.

We will be starting the assembly work from this Saturday.

Posting the current pics of the bike and the rims that I got today.
These all are an inveitable part of a restoration job. Most of the mechanics are interested in the quick bucks that they can make for their quarter at the end of the day. In my opinion, Doing things by yourself adds more fun and a satisfactory restoration of the vehicle. You only need the right tools and some key details like Ign timing, some shim settings, etc. All the best dude.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:54   #39
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
...In my opinion, Doing things by yourself adds more fun and a satisfactory restoration of the vehicle. You only need the right tools and some key details like Ign timing, some shim settings, etc. All the best dude.
Ilango, although I've managed by doing most jobs myself for my Jawa restoration, tinkering and painting unfortunately are best left to the experts, no? So thats where the bottleneck occurs. Now they're unwilling to work because of rains. is the only thing left for me to do. The more you nag them, the more resentful and shoddy they get. I think I'll be left with excellent mechanicals but a really crap paint job at the end of the Ramayana.

@ 350biker, no i haven't started a thread on my Jawa, because there aren't any pictorial updates I can give. Most of my work involved greasy hands and lots of (mis)adventures with an angle grinder on the chassis. However, I will write a short description of all the work done when I finally ride home.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 19:20   #40
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
These all are an inveitable part of a restoration job. Most of the mechanics are interested in the quick bucks that they can make for their quarter at the end of the day. In my opinion, Doing things by yourself adds more fun and a satisfactory restoration of the vehicle. You only need the right tools and some key details like Ign timing, some shim settings, etc. All the best dude.
Ilango, I completely agree with you that DIY is the best way. However, my limited knowledge does not allow me this freedom. I have therefore become the "helping hand" to my mechanic and am trying to learn while working on my bike. His knowledge - my hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Ilango, although I've managed by doing most jobs myself for my Jawa restoration, tinkering and painting unfortunately are best left to the experts, no? So thats where the bottleneck occurs. Now they're unwilling to work because of rains. is the only thing left for me to do. The more you nag them, the more resentful and shoddy they get. I think I'll be left with excellent mechanicals but a really crap paint job at the end of the Ramayana.



@ 350biker, no i haven't started a thread on my Jawa, because there aren't any pictorial updates I can give. Most of my work involved greasy hands and lots of (mis)adventures with an angle grinder on the chassis. However, I will write a short description of all the work done when I finally ride home.

Cheers,
Rahul
I can understand what it must be for you. I am spending sleepless nights right from the day i started restoring my bike. I somehow managed to get it done juuussst before the monsoons. However, I am now stuck in the crucial part where all my chrome plated parts and coloured parts are lying at the mercy of my mechanic.

By the way, we all would love to read the complete experience that you have had. Try and post whatever before / after pics that you can.
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 21:46   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 208
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

The bike options were restricted to Yezdi, Bullet and Rajdoot when I bought my first bike in 1977. I chose the Yezdi because it cost only Rs 7000, compared to the Bullet which was around 9K. The Rajdoot was too ugly to deserve any attention.

The Yezdi was good to drive, but I had to replace the staypin on the rear wheel once a year and had to replace piston rings within the first two years, and the piston at regular intervals. The mileage was about 25 to 30km/liter. Petrol cost Rs 4 in '77, but affordability was an issue as I was a student those days. The bike traveled with me from Kerala to IIT Roorkee, IIT Delhi and then to Ahmedabad and I had it till 1985. By then the repairs were too frequent and reliability became and issue and I sold it off. By then the 100cc bikes, IndSuzuki and Hero Honda were on the rise and Yezdi slowly went on to become extinct.

Recently, my son bought a Yamaha FZ and he was astonished to hear that the Yezdi had a 250cc engine, but the power was miniscule compared to present generation bikes.

Have a great time with the Yezdi, 350biker, and do keep it as long as you can, as soon it will become a collector's item.

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 22:30   #42
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Update as on 29.06.2012

Actually this is a small update but the excitement is building up day by day and therefore I am posting whatever little work is progressing.

The small update today is that I took both the rims and got the tyres fitted. As of now the bike still has the old worn out tyres. I will be replacing them with the new ones at a later stage mostly after the bike is completely restored.

Today also, the mechanic had no time to touch the bike and therefore I only took the rims and got them fitted.

The plan is now to get the shocks and tyres fitted and to get the chassis on centre stand. Once the chassis stands, then the other parts slowly start getting fitted.
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 23:14   #43
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
The bike options were restricted to Yezdi, Bullet and Rajdoot when I bought my first bike in 1977. I chose the Yezdi because it cost only Rs 7000, compared to the Bullet which was around 9K. The Rajdoot was too ugly to deserve any attention.

The Yezdi was good to drive, but I had to replace the staypin on the rear wheel once a year and had to replace piston rings within the first two years, and the piston at regular intervals. The mileage was about 25 to 30km/liter. Petrol cost Rs 4 in '77, but affordability was an issue as I was a student those days. The bike traveled with me from Kerala to IIT Roorkee, IIT Delhi and then to Ahmedabad and I had it till 1985. By then the repairs were too frequent and reliability became and issue and I sold it off. By then the 100cc bikes, IndSuzuki and Hero Honda were on the rise and Yezdi slowly went on to become extinct.

Recently, my son bought a Yamaha FZ and he was astonished to hear that the Yezdi had a 250cc engine, but the power was miniscule compared to present generation bikes.

Have a great time with the Yezdi, 350biker, and do keep it as long as you can, as soon it will become a collector's item.

Saji

Right !! I guess there were a few options at that time for buying bikes.
The other day we were having discussion among some of our friends and we realized that 5 out of 10 kid's dads wither had a Jawa or Yezdi at some point of time
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 10:35   #44
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Update as on 17.07.2012

As mentioned earlier, my mechanic is a one man army these days

For some or the other reason he was just not touching my bike at all !!!

Finally after waiting and waiting and waiting and having some arguments with my mechanic, finally I have offered to help out my mechanic everyday so that the bike gets completed sooner.

So after finishing office yesterday i have now joined the mechanic part time during evening to work on my bike. I now have a part time job at the garrage from 7 - 10 pm

Jobs done yesterday:

The shock absorbers needed to be fitted back after painting and chroming so we got it done yesterday itself.

After finishing small jobs like fitting the front forks, the rear shock absorbers, the rear mudguard and side pannels, we called it a day.

We plan to put the tyres and mount the engine today.

Once the engine is mounted, then the rest follows.

Posting the pics of the work done yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00674201207161936.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00675201207161936.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00676201207161937.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00677201207161937.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00679201207162113.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00680201207162113.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00682201207162114.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00684201207162126.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00685201207162137.jpg  

Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382-img00686201207162137.jpg  

350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 15:35   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Bringing a Yezdi CL II back to life - MVC 382

Good progress and good update bro, hope the work goes on well.
I've noticed that you are replacing the CL-II headlights with the older Classics'. Wouldnt the end result be a hybrid sortta bike considering you are going in for the Cl-II trademark red-black paint job?
Countless people are of the opinion the CL-II is the most symmetrical, best looking Yezdi, you wouldn't want to attempt a 'crossover' with the Classic and the CL-II, IMO.
That said, a Y is always a Y.

Ride long and ride safe.
mahesh.kolary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Camry - Bringing the Powered Seats back to life (after floods) vigsom Technical Stuff 0 5th February 2016 12:36
Audi recalls 382 units of Q7 over faulty brakes Aditya The Indian Car Scene 1 30th October 2014 22:42
Bringing a Rajdoot 175 back to life. MXR 3842 350biker Motorbikes 19 6th November 2013 19:10
Bringing Back to Life : BSA M20 - 500cc SV 350biker Post-War 17 18th May 2013 04:03
How about bringing back India muscle cars? devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 89 15th July 2008 15:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks