Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 19:03   #46
BHPian
 
jawabiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashik
Posts: 144
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Behram Sir,

Can take BMC 8903 to Britannia cafe sometime on sundays you will surely get parking there and enjoy it parked on the roadside and taking a dig at Dhansak .

Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 21:29   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 1,892 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Behram Sir,

Can take BMC 8903 to Britannia cafe sometime on sundays you will surely get parking there and enjoy it parked on the roadside and taking a dig at Dhansak .

Regards,
Ranjit
Is Britannia open on Sunday ? I don't think so ! Saturday is a light day in regards to the area & also you will get parking .

Best bhonu in town ! Bon appetit !

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 12:03   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,659 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is Britannia open on Sunday ? I don't think so ! Saturday is a light day in regards to the area & also you will get parking. Best bhonu in town! Bon appetit! Cheers
Dear Kasli and jawabiker - thanks for your Dhansak suggestion, forgive me for asking a stupid question (I know the Bawas will kill me for this), but where the hell is Britannia Cafe? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 14:06   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 1,892 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

The Bawa's will get you for not knowing but its at Ballard Estate behind the Port Trust Building. Ask anyone and they will direct you

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kasli and jawabiker - thanks for your Dhansak suggestion, forgive me for asking a stupid question (I know the Bawas will kill me for this), but where the hell is Britannia Cafe? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 21:15   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

I can take you there, rather drive you there myself but the condition is you pay for berry biryani n caramel custard. Damn I spoilt my shirt.
Ironically the restaurant actually breathing its last now but the old man is as flirty as they come. Love meeting him every time and then irritate him to get his loving banter.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:30   #51
BHPian
 
jawabiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashik
Posts: 144
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Behram Sir,

It is same place like what TUSHAR is in nashik (where people flock to have misal pav after early morning walk or exercise. whos who of nashik tend to meet each other there)
Now please no questions on where TUSHAR is in nashik..

Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:50   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 115
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Heartiest congratulations on the latest acquisition! Do you still have the original Magneti distributor? Reverting to that will also give you a boost in spark strength!

Very heartening to see this little beauty go into the hands of someone who actually works at bringing her back up to the "customer only has to fill fuel and drive" ideal!

Please let's meet up the next time you are in Pune so that I can check out your other Fiat babies! As usual, I can only entice you with a Civic, RD, RTZ, or a rorty little Zen (you've already seen the Husqvarna but if you wanna take a second look, or better still, take her for a spin this time, I can get her too).

I hope you have my number. Else please let me know here what's a convenient time to call you. Take care mate and wishing you many, many more decades of beautiful, trouble-free motoring!

Last edited by vivekjayasheel : 19th April 2013 at 12:53.
vivekjayasheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 20:41   #53
BHPian
 
jawabiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashik
Posts: 144
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Dear beram Sir,

Just a bit off topic today in local daily (maharashtra times) they have a exclusive page on irani hotels in mumbai, where they have mentioned about britania cafe.

Regards,
Ranjit
Attached Thumbnails
BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!-britania-cafe.jpg  

BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!-parsi.jpg  

jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 09:46   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

I know am a little late anyways, Congrats once again on acquiring another gem & best of luck chiseling it to perfection Dhabhar sir.
I am diligently following the WIP on BMC & noting down important points for future reference. Best of luck with the restoration.
Looking forward to the updates.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 18:11   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,659 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Dear Sagar - thanks for your compliments. Unfortunately for us (the car and me), I am in Pune most of the time (work, you know) and the car is in Mumbai. There's lots to do, a thorough cleaning / pressure washing / servicing is on top of the list with replacements of transmission / axle oils, let's see! It starts with a small flick of the key, idles properly, accelerates briskly and sounds healthy, however!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 18:51   #56
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sagar - thanks for your compliments. Unfortunately for us (the car and me), I am in Pune most of the time (work, you know) and the car is in Mumbai. There's lots to do, a thorough cleaning / pressure washing / servicing is on top of the list with replacements of transmission / axle oils, let's see! It starts with a small flick of the key, idles properly, accelerates briskly and sounds healthy, however!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behram sir, its been along time, how are you and your beauty? Was wondering how come there was no news about your BMC.

Anyway Sir I will be in Pune during the 1st weekend of July (5th - 7th), I will there for a medical conference, hope to meet you if you are around in Pune. Will be visiting Mumbai also. so hope to see you then.

Sir please have a look at my thread, I am getting the headlight corrected and really anxious if its coming out right. Please advice.

Thank you.
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 14:17   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sagar - thanks for your compliments. Unfortunately for us (the car and me), I am in Pune most of the time (work, you know) and the car is in Mumbai. There's lots to do, a thorough cleaning / pressure washing / servicing is on top of the list with replacements of transmission / axle oils, let's see! It starts with a small flick of the key, idles properly, accelerates briskly and sounds healthy, however!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I can understand that & hope you find some time from your work to attend the small works pending on BMC, i guess replacement of oils would be your priority.
BTW good to know about its improving health, hope to see a full fledged restoration in the coming months or will it be more than 12 ?
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 21:09   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,659 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Dear all - first of all, here's wishing everybody a "Very Happy New Year"!

My new year with BMC 8903 started quite eventfully, if I may say so: so, after almost a year of absolute trouble-free and delightful performance, here I am, driving sedately, very "bawa style" from colony Agiary (fire temple) to home sweet home in good old Parsi Colony Dadar when I hear this smallish thud from the underfloor, followed by a small but cyclic thudding sound. Simple, its time to put in a new drive coupling. This is what came out. It looks better in the photograph than what it actually is. Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Images
 
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 08:31   #59
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,659 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Dear all – time for a small update on BMC8903. Since I bought the car, the brakes were not effective at all. So, this time, it was the turn of the brake system to get a makeover. The brake oil itself was contaminated. The black sticky mess consisted of a mix of some aftermarket brake oil, water, lubricating oil and some unknown substance consisting of many minute and sharp particles. Therefore, as was expected, oil flow from the filler cup to the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders was almost non-existent. The pipes were choked with plaque, similar to what happens when arteries get clogged. The hoses had deteriorated / bulged. There was hardly any friction material left on the brake liners. Therefore, the brake fluid reservoir, oil filler pipe, master cylinder including its fulcrum (locally known as “Laxmi kit” as this part was made and supplied in production by "Laxmi Mechanical Works", Wadala, Mumbai), wheel cylinders, brake bundy pipes and brake liners are replaced with OE supply parts from Brakes India / Bundy India. The body sheet metal covers in the pedal area were reworked and refitted, using M6*1.0 size bolts instead of self tapping screws. I do this on all my cars to avoid pedal interference with the body sheet metal. All the rubber inserts of the brake and clutch pedals were replaced. Bleeding was completed from rear right to rear left to front left to front right wheels. Liners were set to provide minimum working clearance of around 0.3mm, ensuring no drag on the wheel bearings. Master cylinder travel is now at <30% of total stroke at bite / deceleration point, as required.

The complete brake system is now new and it works as it is supposed to work. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 11:09   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: BMC 8903 - A 1960 Fiat Select - Here I go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all – time for a small update on BMC8903. Since I bought the car, the brakes were not effective at all. So, this time, it was the turn of the brake system to get a makeover. The brake oil itself was contaminated. The black sticky mess consisted of a mix of some aftermarket brake oil, water, lubricating oil and some unknown substance consisting of many minute and sharp particles. Therefore, as was expected, oil flow from the filler cup to the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders was almost non-existent. The pipes were choked with plaque, similar to what happens when arteries get clogged. The hoses had deteriorated / bulged. There was hardly any friction material left on the brake liners. Therefore, the brake fluid reservoir, oil filler pipe, master cylinder including its fulcrum (locally known as “Laxmi kit” as this part was made and supplied in production by "Laxmi Mechanical Works", Wadala, Mumbai), wheel cylinders, brake bundy pipes and brake liners are replaced with OE supply parts from Brakes India / Bundy India. The body sheet metal covers in the pedal area were reworked and refitted, using M6*1.0 size bolts instead of self tapping screws. I do this on all my cars to avoid pedal interference with the body sheet metal. All the rubber inserts of the brake and clutch pedals were replaced. Bleeding was completed from rear right to rear left to front left to front right wheels. Liners were set to provide minimum working clearance of around 0.3mm, ensuring no drag on the wheel bearings. Master cylinder travel is now at <30% of total stroke at bite / deceleration point, as required.

The complete brake system is now new and it works as it is supposed to work. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behram- Long time. Following your threads closely. Will have to give this brake treatment soon, only after I get a go ahead from the owner.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100! CAC444 Post-War 105 10th December 2016 01:13
Introducing my 1960 Fiat Select! h14 Post-War 21 22nd December 2015 23:59
My 1960 Fiat 1100 Attari Post-War 72 26th August 2011 21:00
Here we go again - Toyota India at it again. rahul_intlad The Indian Car Scene 33 2nd October 2006 20:34
Pic : 4 BMC workers come under BMC truck. v12 Shifting gears 3 4th January 2006 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:12.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks