Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 21:40   #1
BHPian
 
abhimanyuargal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

I have recently acquired a 1974 W116 S-Class. I have just started the process of restoring it to its complete former glory. It used to sport a 4.5L V8 Petrol. However, that has been replaced with a 300D of 1983 vintage. Car is in mediocre condition. Posting a few of the car as i have bought it. Will keep updating with newer pics and whatever updates i can find. Cheers!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215618.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215603.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215546.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215515.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215448.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215301.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215249.jpg  

Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz-20130305_215239.jpg  

abhimanyuargal is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 23:15   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

What a great looking car, is it the same one offer on the team bhp classifieds. Do you plan to source and put in the original engine? These cars were a blast to,drive. Regards and luck
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 00:14   #3
ACS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Best of luck mate!
This car is awesome and the vintage look gives greater looks to this Merc. Please keep on posting the update status with pics. Looking forward to this space.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 09:16   #4
BHPian
 
Ravindra M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
I have recently acquired a 1974 W116 S-Class. I have just started the process of restoring it to its complete former glory!!!
Congratulations for this acquisition and my best wishes for the speedy restoration.

Where do you plan to get the work done in Bangalore ? I would highly appreciate to get an opportunity to visit the site !
Ravindra M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 10:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

This is a great aquisition, I just love V-8 engined 116's. They are so classy.
Here is my 350 SE, still has the original engine.
My suggestion is that you first tidy up the car, run her with the current engine, and then look for a V-8 engine. Meanwhile, keep on gathering parts, probably from junkyards abroad.
Your car seems to have been a diplomatic car, going by the flag pole. Its RHD which is also great.
What is the history? It seems newly registered to Karnataka.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 22:39   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 1,400
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Just tidy her up and restore her to glory, so that we can drool over the pics.
Meanwhile if possible try to source the original engine
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 00:50   #7
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 484
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Looking forward to the rest of this thread! Good luck with the restoration.

Subscribed.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 18:50   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
I have recently acquired a 1974 W116 S-Class. I have just started the process of restoring it to its complete former glory. It used to sport a 4.5L V8 Petrol. However, that has been replaced with a 300D of 1983 vintage. Car is in mediocre condition. Posting a few of the car as i have bought it. Will keep updating with newer pics and whatever updates i can find. Cheers!!!
Fantastic car Abhimanyu, Congratulations

Does not look like it needs immediate Cosmetic attention, would suggest you to get going with the Mechanical work First and later get down to doing the cosmetics.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 09:45   #9
BHPian
 
abhimanyuargal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Hi All,
Sorry I've been taking so long in replying. Tied up because of the year end. Will update all of you soon with newer pics and answers to your queries. Sorry for the delay once again. Cheers!
abhimanyuargal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 00:42   #10
BHPian
 
abhimanyuargal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

hello all! i'm really sorry for being such a slow poster. newer pics will be uploaded shortly. been tied up with a humongous amount of work but aren't we all. so basically i'm doing this car for a loved one to be chauffeured around in. its a complete restoration with no holds barred. i'm importing whatever trim is missing and will be doing a complete running gear overhaul. plus a complete engine overhaul too with some souping up in the form of a turbocharger. on the interiors part i'm gonna need some help. not sure where i can get some of the dashboard moulded. just some support struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
What a great looking car, is it the same one offer on the team bhp classifieds. Do you plan to source and put in the original engine? These cars were a blast to,drive. Regards and luck
yeah man. its the same car. sticking to diesel because its a lot easier to maintain as parts for the 300d are available extremely easily in india. also, im thinking of converting it to the 300Td(turbocharged model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
Best of luck mate!
This car is awesome and the vintage look gives greater looks to this Merc. Please keep on posting the update status with pics. Looking forward to this space.
ACS - thanks a lot. will do that


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Congratulations for this acquisition and my best wishes for the speedy restoration.

Where do you plan to get the work done in Bangalore ? I would highly appreciate to get an opportunity to visit the site !
ravindra. its getting done at diff locations. maybe when its with me in between stages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a great aquisition, I just love V-8 engined 116's. They are so classy.
Here is my 350 SE, still has the original engine.
My suggestion is that you first tidy up the car, run her with the current engine, and then look for a V-8 engine. Meanwhile, keep on gathering parts, probably from junkyards abroad.
Your car seems to have been a diplomatic car, going by the flag pole. Its RHD which is also great.
What is the history? It seems newly registered to Karnataka.

Cheers harit
@harit - sweet ride man. Its the presidential car from gyaani zail singhs time. Therefore the pole. The previous owner got it registered in bangalore a few years ago after he bought it at auction. sticking with the diesel as its mainly to get chauffeured around in. i wanted a smooth and hassle free ride. dont need the mindboggling performance of those bigg petrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Fantastic car Abhimanyu, Congratulations

Does not look like it needs immediate Cosmetic attention, would suggest you to get going with the Mechanical work First and later get down to doing the cosmetics.
@pavan - thanks a lot man. will require all the help from harit, you, the mole and all other bhpians out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Looking forward to the rest of this thread! Good luck with the restoration.

Subscribed.
@virat - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Just tidy her up and restore her to glory, so that we can drool over the pics.
Meanwhile if possible try to source the original engine

@dicky - sure man. thanks!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another
on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th April 2013 at 07:25.
abhimanyuargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 02:04   #11
BHPian
 
musclecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 37
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Hi Abhimanyu the car looks great.

By the way what do you intend to do with the orignal petrol engine??
musclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 13:03   #12
BHPian
 
abhimanyuargal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi muscle car. I dont have the original 4.2 petrol. The previous owner swapped it for a diesel.
abhimanyuargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 13:07   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,051
Thanked: 3,416 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
I dont have the original 4.2 petrol. The previous owner swapped it for a diesel.
If the previous owner is from Bangalore, you check with him. May be he can direct you to some specific shop in Shivaji Nagar.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 15:21   #14
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Restoring a 1974 W116 Mercedes Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
Hi muscle car. I dont have the original 4.2 petrol. The previous owner swapped it for a diesel.
In case you are interested in a V-6 petrol engine of the same gen Merc, then I can direct you to a place in Bangalore. At Least the shop had that engine 2 years back.
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 17:50   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,483
Thanked: 7,794 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post

In case you are interested in a V-6 petrol engine of the same gen Merc, then I can direct you to a place in Bangalore. At Least the shop had that engine 2 years back.
I hope you mean an in-line 6. Mercedes v6's appeared only around the turn of the century!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President arun1100 Post-War 49 21st January 2015 19:15
The Restoration of a Mercedes W116. V-16 Post-War 44 6th August 2014 22:19
1974 VW Microbus RandomUsername Post-War 8 13th May 2011 12:31
Advice On Restoring My 1985 Mercedes Benz 300d (w123) LOVE HER(ALD)! Post-War 3 7th October 2010 15:28
Just bought a 1974 VW Beetle, some parts needed ravitejasharma Post-War 39 29th September 2009 14:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks