Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 31st May 2013, 10:26   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Introducing my 1960 Fiat Select!

Absolutely brilliant and very nostalgic. I learnt my driving and my first car was a 1962 Super Select. Used it in college and a lot of people in 'Marutis and Hyundais' used to laugh at me. But I didn't care, because I just loved her. It was also our daily drive and only car for quite a few years. Also it was my dad's first, first hand car. Was with us for 40 years !! Too bad we had to sell her for financial constraints.I miss her so much. But I will get another one for sure someday.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 11:25   #17
BHPian

Hi H14,
Apologies for being the odd one out, pointing out problem areas in your latest purchase. Incorrect wheel caps can be changed, BUT, what is worrying is the shoddy paint work. If you critically observe the car, you will notice the under carriage will have rust, obvious from the lower edge of the panel under the dicky. If you see the rear exposed frame of the front seat, the horn button chrome surround, the engine bay etc, you will conclude that this is a car which has been painted without much preparation in terms of anti rust treatment. lots of corrosion is apparent, the engine compartment has been oversprayed, corrosion areas already visible. Please critically see the car and rectify before it becomes a nightmare. I have seen many buyers of newly painted old cars tearing their hair out coping with corrosion problems within a year of purchase. When they go back to the garage they are told, well this is an old car so you have to be prepared to deal with rust issues.

Lovely car nonetheless and happy motoring.
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 14:49   #18
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful restoration. Hope the mechanical condition is fine , how about the odometer and other gauges.

Happy and Safe motoring.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 11:58   #19
BHPian

Absolutely drool stuff. I wonder how i missed this thread. Great selection too. Just update your garage picture too and add the latest acquisition.
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 12:37   #20
h14
BHPian

Thx everyone!

@Bulldogji, those will be taken care off soon. Thx for the concern

Took her to Coonoor last weekend and she climbed without a fuss. Below picture clicked by JayD. All 3 taking a well deserved break in Coonoor

Introducing my 1960 Fiat Select!-p5310249.jpg
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 09:37   #21
h14
BHPian

Been little over a year since the blue lady came home.

She was in the garage for fluid changes along with change of radiator hoses.

Also changed was the exhaust. It was a custom made exhaust right from header to end can. Made very similar to the OE exhaust.

We also changed the distributor. The car was running with the original magnetti marelli distributor but often had problems with car switching off and mostly not starting at all. I was able to source a Lucas and so swapped them. Keeping the original MM safe at home.

Now she runs fluently and smoother than ever
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:59   #22
h14
BHPian

For past few months the Select has been throwing up some starting troubles. Initially suspected the battery to be the culprit and was also suspecting the alternator and took to electrician who confirmed its the starter motor that's faulty yet again. Busy schedules at work and also less time at cbe during holidays meant I couldn't attend to her. She was parked quietly. There was also the gearbox oil leak increasing.

Finally on Monday, Dec 21, 2015 got her out to the electrician. It wasn't cranking and hence had to push start. The starter motor and alternator were both serviced. Quite few internal parts such as brush, bearings etc were all replaced. Also the indicator flasher was replaced. Old battery though fading in life was recharged and deemed good for some more time.

The car now starts at half a crank unlike the earlier long crank.

Total damage Rs.1700. Very happy with the work done by electrician Balan at Patel road in Ramnagar who was referred to me by a friend.

Next in line is to fix the oil leak. Suspicion is on the oil seal in the gear sector on the box. Will have to see!
h14 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote