Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 14:30   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
i seem to pefer the elegance of the 123 saloon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i personally like the coupe better.
beauty lies in the eye of the beholder eh speedy!

But as u said, both of them have a charm of their own!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 14:47   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,108
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dont you feel the older Mercedes' were to distinctively Mercedes? The new ones...well, half of them dont even look German!

Their tag-line said it all "Mercedes Benz - Engineered like no other car in the world"....they would be hard-pressed to use it today.
Their tag line today might be silent but would probably read "Mercede Benz- Over Engineered like no other car in the world"
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 14:48   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
beauty lies in the eye of the beholder eh speedy!
JayD i own both the sedan and the coupe. you do see alot of the sedans on the road but the coupe is a rareity. the lines on both are the same but the coupe feels like it has something more. the big pillarless windows the clk type seatbelt holder. comming from the side of the seat a true sporty feel to the car.
my eyes only see the coupes, blinded from everything else JayD .
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 15:08   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
AMATMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore\GOA
Posts: 1,456
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

can you post the pic of the coupe speedy?
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 15:20   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
JayD i own both the sedan and the coupe. you do see alot of the sedans on the road but the coupe is a rareity. the lines on both are the same but the coupe feels like it has something more. the big pillarless windows the clk type seatbelt holder. comming from the side of the seat a true sporty feel to the car.
my eyes only see the coupes, blinded from everything else JayD .

Heh heh!! since i havnt seen a 123 coupe in the flesh, im not yet blind to the rest! cant wait to see yours!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 15:22   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
can you post the pic of the coupe speedy?
i have posted pictures of my friends ex car the 280ce. my coupe is a 230c and looks the same.
i have posted one picture of it here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-mercedes.html (need help with 16" wheels for my Mercedes)

@ JayD you will get to see it as soon as it gets complete. haveing trouble getting the chrome plate that runs around the door frame. it is not a standard one that is available for the sedans.

Last edited by speedy : 30th October 2007 at 15:29.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 15:34   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
haveing trouble getting the chrome plate that runs around the door frame. it is not a standard one that is available for the sedans.
Yes i remember reading it somewhere. Its longer and hard to find. I think you or gogi had mentioned it about the junked 123 coupe. By the way, did u manage to pick up that one?
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 16:01   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yes i remember reading it somewhere. Its longer and hard to find. I think you or gogi had mentioned it about the junked 123 coupe. By the way, did u manage to pick up that one?
yes they are longer than the sedan version and very difficult to get in india.
the junked 123 coupe would take time as it would go into auction and then only can i pick it up.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 16:40   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi and Karachi
Posts: 126
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dont you feel the older Mercedes' were to distinctively Mercedes? The new ones...well, half of them dont even look German!

Their tag-line said it all "Mercedes Benz - Engineered like no other car in the world"....they would be hard-pressed to use it today.
They have thought up a better one I think - The Future of the Automobile
Alvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 22:20   #40
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

So I knew of a 280CE in Jamshedpur that was bought by the Tata's in the 80's but over the past few years the car was not traceable and it was suggested that the car was sold and taken to a different city.

Turns out that this is not true. I came across the car this very evening and I must say that it is still beautifully maintained in true Tata fashion. I will let the pictures do the talking.

P.S. Speedy - This car had a twin, a blue 280CE that was brought in at the same time. I am wondering if the car your friend owned is the same since you mentioned a Parsee connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Mercedes coupe queries (W123)-img_0807.jpg  

Old Mercedes coupe queries (W123)-img_0809.jpg  

Old Mercedes coupe queries (W123)-img_0806.jpg  

Old Mercedes coupe queries (W123)-img_0814.jpg  

Old Mercedes coupe queries (W123)-img_0812.jpg  

Old Mercedes coupe queries (W123)-img_0813.jpg  


Last edited by vcash : 22nd August 2008 at 22:27.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 23:31   #41
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I came across the car this very evening and I must say that it is still beautifully maintained in true Tata fashion. I will let the pictures do the talking.
Lovely looking car.

So how many interesting cars are still retained by the Tata's? Many of them were recently auctioned. Do you have access, and can you get us pics of the remnants?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:48   #42
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Lovely looking car.

So how many interesting cars are still retained by the Tata's? Many of them were recently auctioned. Do you have access, and can you get us pics of the remnants?
In Jamshedpur, I would say about 10 to 12 lying with the various Tata Companies. I can try and get access to the Tata stable in Jamshedpur to take some pictures over the next few weeks. Bombay / Calcutta - I think folks in thoes cities would have better luck getting pictures.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:25   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post

P.S. Speedy - This car had a twin, a blue 280CE that was brought in at the same time. I am wondering if the car your friend owned is the same since you mentioned a Parsee connection.
Lovely find vcash. the car looks awsome. Tata's do look after their cars and had and have some lovely cars too.
yes this ones twin was owned by my friends father Mr.Gogawalla and then sold to a collector in Delhi. 280CE RHD automatic. see parmalink 28, pictures of the car are there.
by the way is this car for sale? old habits die hard.

Last edited by speedy : 23rd August 2008 at 11:27.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:55   #44
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Lovely find vcash. the car looks awsome. Tata's do look after their cars and had and have some lovely cars too.
yes this ones twin was owned by my friends father Mr.Gogawalla and then sold to a collector in Delhi. 280CE RHD automatic. see parmalink 28, pictures of the car are there.
That's great. I always wondered where the Blue 280ce sold by the Tata's went. I am happy that this has now been traced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
by the way is this car for sale? old habits die hard.
Not that I know off! And when it does become available, there is a very long queue of potential buyers!
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:51   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
That's great. I always wondered where the Blue 280ce sold by the Tata's went. I am happy that this has now been traced.Not that I know off! And when it does become available, there is a very long queue of potential buyers!
the car was not owned by Tata's, the first owner was my friends father. both these cars came in at the same time. one to Mr tata and the other blue one to Mr Gogawalla brought from Canada ( this is what i was told by my friend) it stood a few buildings away from house and i would see it everyday without fail. it was like going to a temple for me. i wanted to buy the car and even expressed my desire but i was told it would never be sold. then one day there was a split in the family and the car was sold over night.

i wont be greedy on this one as i have a 230c (LHD,Manual,carberated). there are two others besides this that i would hope one day would come for sale and i can purchase them.

Last edited by speedy : 23rd August 2008 at 13:57.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes-Benz launches S 500 Coupe, AMG S 63 Coupe in India Aditya The Indian Car Scene 3 30th July 2015 21:13
Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984 vinayvtec Super-Cars & Imports in India 25 10th January 2014 13:11
Mercedes W123 For Sale Rehaan Shifting gears 8 5th March 2009 14:44
Mercedes W123 LWB at Kurla!! comfortablywacky Super-Cars & Imports in India 22 19th December 2008 09:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:13.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks