Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 29th August 2016, 08:52   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
For example, does one replace old cheap fasteners with new cheap fasteners, or does one use proper steel bolts (as should have been done at the factory)
When it comes to bolts, I would use new STAINLESS STEEL bolts wherever applicable/accessible if I'm doing a body-off resto! Desi bolts of any kind are not known to last long enough so better replace them when you can access the car's 'private parts'!
Stanher is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 19:10   #122
BHPian

Default Re: 1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
When it comes to bolts, I would use new STAINLESS STEEL bolts wherever applicable/accessible if I'm doing a body-off resto! Desi bolts of any kind are not known to last long enough so better replace them when you can access the car's 'private parts'!
Please make sure they meet the strength requirements also! Stainless steel refers to steel with chromium (>10%) as an alloying agent, however several types of stainless steel result from presence of other alloying agents. Select right grade based on the requirement (degree of corrosion resistance needed, degree of non magnetism, application (shear loads / tensile loads, temperature) and so on. Depending on microstructure we have austenitic stainless steel, martensitic stainless steel etc. Each one has a different property.
autocrat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote