Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 28th July 2015, 22:09   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Hey Sonu,

Loved it overall.

Didn't like the front grill (Prefer original later years one in Chrome), Bonnet & Dickey Latches and the rear all red tail lights,
But those all-red tail lights are original to this model- the Millecento! What's wrong with them?

http://img3.annuncicdn.it/1e/94/1e94...29b16_orig.jpg
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 01:04   #47
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
But those all-red tail lights are original to this model- the Millecento! What's wrong with them?

http://img3.annuncicdn.it/1e/94/1e94...29b16_orig.jpg
Am aware. Own the same model. I never liked these all red lights. Prefer the later model one with orange and red in two halves have those on mine since years. Since this particular vehicle is not about originality hence.. As mentioned that is a personal take.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 10:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
This one was superb.Since you have one in original set up good to see a modded one. Are the tires upgraded? The gun metal finish of alloys jell well with red. Think of gun metal head lamp rings and the portion around the tail lamps also.
Thanks Ram.
We tried gunmetal on HL rings but it did not look right with other chrome embellishments. So had to buy another set of headlights.
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag0817.jpg

Quote:
Hey Sonu,
Loved it overall.
Didn't like the front grill (Prefer original later years one in Chrome), Bonnet & Dickey Latches and the rear all red tail lights, But that is just my personal choice even or a Hyper fiat. Steering you are already changing.
Loved the colour and the finish, the Alloys & Tyres and the Dash. Am looking forward to the engine.
Feel the Bumpers are required from both legality & looks point of view, though even without them it does look quite cool.
Quote:
I never liked these all red lights. Prefer the later model one with orange and red in two halves have those on mine since years. Since this particular vehicle is not about originality hence.. As mentioned that is a personal take.
Superb, congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The latches were copied from a rally FIAT car (IAN HARDY) and IMO gives her the sporty feel.
I am also not very happy with GRILL & hence will be going for MESH grill, in fact the DIY on grill is already underway.
I even wanted those split tail-lights as the turn indicator is MORE visible in them and as you have rightly stated, this one is not about originality but sport & daily drive, those TL's will make more sense. However I could not find them along with the lenses.
The seats design is bit flawed too. I wanted those red lines to be more thinner and in true sense, I wanted black seats with RED thick thread work.
If wishes are horses.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 11:07   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Ariesonu, thank you for sharing the photos of the finished product. BHPians demand more photos of the car and its internals! I think your bonnet & dickey fastners look cute & neat and the colour you have picked looks very delightful even though it was probably not an original shade back in the 1950s. More photos please and congratulations once again. - Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:11   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
1. The pickup at red lights can shame SWIFT. 2. Phase 2 mods are planned after monsoons and mainly are: AUTOMECH custom exhaust, rally specification camshaft and / or carburettor setup, purely for more power purpose only. Regards, Sonu.
Dear Sonu - in one word, EXCELLENT! You did exactly what you wanted to do, so congratulations! My comments on your above quotes are as follows:

1. I presume you are still running the production axle ratio. Please change from 4.3:1 to 3.9:1 without doing any other changes and then see how the car moves in 3rd gear! If you see Swifts in your rear view mirror now, believe me, you won't! .
2. For God's sake, don't do anything silly here, if you do, power will drop! You must use the S1 exhaust manifold and the S1 front pipe, these are designed to provide optimum scavenging. The engine is already S1 so the valve timing is already optimized, what camshaft you will change now? For the downstream aggregates of the exhaust system, please get the car to Pune, I'll tell you where to go and what to do.
3. As "more power" is what you want (), the best thing to do is to go in for the Mikuni with it's integral intake manifold, which came in very few S1 cars in 1997 / 98. Use the Esteem air cleaner assembly to provide mass flow. You have seen the same setup in my LHD with the NE air cleaner! For power, nothing will beat a nicely tuned S1 with the Mikuni jetted up to give power at the expense of fuel economy, but be prepared for very frequent visits to the petrol pump. I had done it in the LHD but I couldn't afford it! You must get either the 15 degrees advance distributor or the AVL intermediate advance characteristics distributor and set the ignition timing to 7 degrees BTDC. See my comments in the "technical specifications" thread, yaar!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 20:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sonu - in one word, EXCELLENT! You did exactly what you wanted to do, so congratulations! My comments on your above quotes are as follows:

1. I presume you are still running the production axle ratio. Please change from 4.3:1 to 3.9:1 without doing any other changes and then see how the car moves in 3rd gear! If you see Swifts in your rear view mirror now, believe me, you won't! .
2. For God's sake, don't do anything silly here, if you do, power will drop! You must use the S1 exhaust manifold and the S1 front pipe, these are designed to provide optimum scavenging. Behram Dhabhar
Since the day I made that post, I was waiting for your inputs.
Most delicious part is your Pune invitation, which am definitely gonna accept.

We had bought entire S1 setup, so I presume it is 4.3:1, this is one mod, I will take your advice upon.
Carb setup will drain my blood so better leave it at that.

Regards Sonu
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:13   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We had bought entire S1 setup, so I presume it is 4.3:1. Regards Sonu
Dear Sonu - S1 is 3.9:1 and not 4.3:1, please don't presume. What I am telling you to do is to put the 4.3:1 with the S1 engine's power curve, to obtain higher tractive effort at the wheels at the expense of some fuel efficiency. As you are using 175 section tires, even with 4.3:1, there will be some effect of change of dynamic rolling radius, with 3.9:1 the tractive effort will actually reduce.

As you say that you have taken everything off the S1 car, where is the exhaust system? You are throttling the engine as you are not using it. Please do exactly what I have told you to do, then your car will fly on the road! After the car starts flying, I'll tell you how to use the first principle of carburettor jetting on your Solex itself (as you don't want to go with the Mikuni), then it will fly still faster! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 12:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sonu - S1 is 3.9:1 and not 4.3:1, please don't presume. What I am telling you to do is to put the 4.3:1 with the S1 engine's power curve, to obtain higher tractive effort at the wheels at the expense of some fuel efficiency. As you are using 175 section tires, even with 4.3:1, there will be some effect of change of dynamic rolling radius, with 3.9:1 the tractive effort will actually reduce.

As you say that you have taken everything off the S1 car, where is the exhaust system? You are throttling the engine as you are not using it. Please do exactly what I have told you to do, then your car will fly on the road! After the car starts flying, I'll tell you how to use the first principle of carburettor jetting on your Solex itself (as you don't want to go with the Mikuni), then it will fly still faster! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
The exhaust that came from donor car was also in pretty bad condition. Thus we have stuck to ORIGINAL that came with my car. As mentioned before, I am going for AUTOMECH product with performance (and not sound) as my requirement.
Noted your instructions on ratio part & will do as directed. Definitely after monsoons.
Carb tuning will be left to your GURU hands.
Thank you. :-)

Regards-Sonu
Old 14th August 2015, 12:28   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The exhaust that came from donor car was also in pretty bad condition. Thus we have stuck to ORIGINAL that came with my car. As mentioned before, I am going for AUTOMECH product with performance (and not sound) as my requirement. Regards-Sonu
Dear Sonu - kya yaar, don't tell me all this! Your "original 1956 engine's exhaust manifold" will not match the Padmini S1 head, the dimensions are different. What is fitted is the normal Padmini exhaust manifold. And how can the exhaust manifold of the donor car be bad? At the end of the day, an exhaust manifold is just a cast iron part which is machined as required, it has to last forever. I can understand the rest of the exhaust system being bad. The original exhaust manifold of the S1 is pretty hard to get hold of these days, so anything's possible! I know of a friend who paid a very high price to get one for himself. Then you also need the manifold packing and the front pipe with the 44.45mm diameter outlet. He's still searching for these parts!

Anyways, finally its your decision! I can only say, please do what is correct.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 13:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sonu - kya yaar, don't tell me all this! Your "original 1956 engine's exhaust manifold" will not match the Padmini S1 head, the dimensions are different. What is fitted is the normal Padmini exhaust manifold. And how can the exhaust manifold of the donor car be bad? At the end of the day, an exhaust manifold is just a cast iron part which is machined as required, it has to last forever. I can understand the rest of the exhaust system being bad. The original exhaust manifold of the S1 is pretty hard to get hold of these days, so anything's possible! I know of a friend who paid a very high price to get one for himself. Then you also need the manifold packing and the front pipe with the 44.45mm diameter outlet. He's still searching for these parts!

Anyways, finally its your decision! I can only say, please do what is correct.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
My apologies for not describing the exhaust thing properly.
I stand corrected, the end piece is the one that we have retained from my car.
I have made list of your suggestions & recommendations and will keep you posted as & when we go about it.
For now, she is driving very nicely but I don't take her above 50 MPH as the engine is still in RUN-IN mode. There is a minor issue with my column shift but I will not be able to describe it in words.
Will request you to spare some time, when next in Mumbai & I will bring her to you, then will bring her all the way to Pune too.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 15:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

How to spend nice cool Saturday:
When we had restored her, some parts were fitted without painting. When I noted the rust, initial idea was to get them zinc coated but then DIY bug bit me:

BONNET & TRUNK hooks:
BEFORE: (forgot to take before pics of TRUCK hooks)
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1511.jpg
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1512.jpg

AFTER:
Used BOSNY MATT BLACK paint spray & then placed them in pre-heated microwave oven, till I finished my lunch & cuppa. Don't know if this helped.
Added thin layers of black tarpaulin plastic between car body & clamps.
Nuts & bolts are SS.
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1513.jpg
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1514.jpg
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1516.jpg
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1505.jpg
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1506.jpg
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1510.jpg

Added THICKER rubber for number-plate light.
Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-imag1518.jpg

Next is WHEEL nuts.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 12:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

The fuel tank is becoming a nuisance and even after three through cleanings, I get fine sand like rust which has resulted in changing 3 fuel filters so far. Once I removed the filter and the carb was found choked with the fine rust powder.
I am now on lookout for best alternate fit in plastic tanks from modern cars.
Any leads/suggestions would be welcome.

Otherwise she drives like a dream.

Regards-Sonu
Old 28th October 2016, 13:20   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The fuel tank is becoming a nuisance and even after three through cleanings, I get fine sand like rust which has resulted in changing 3 fuel filters so far.
Have you tried tank treatments like Por 15? They have a dealer in India http://www.por15.com/International_ep_42.html
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 17:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried tank treatments like Por 15? They have a dealer in India
Tried searching for their dealers but was lead to INDIAMART like sites. Found it on SNAPDEAL too, but the price is prohibitive. Also the product contents shown on Indian sites are different from the entire RANGE for rust restoration kit shown on parent site.
On lighter note the cost of car was half of this price.

Hyper Fiat 1100 - Restoration & Mods of WMJ 333-sd.jpg

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote