Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 03:34   #91
BHPian
 
TuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Mr. MKK: You have any alternative for the panel switch? Did this type of switch come only in this scoot or you had it on some other brit bike/scoot?
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 13:46   #92
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mr. MKK: You have any alternative for the panel switch? Did this type of switch come only in this scoot or you had it on some other brit bike/scoot?
That post was deleted by the moderator,.>>>> saying it is unreadable ,
& adviced to posted with proper space & puncucations etc.,
Let me post pics ALONE once more & answer your question, if I reply without pics, it makes no sense................ WHAT SAY????
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 21:24   #93
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mr. MKK: You have any alternative for the panel switch? Did this type of switch come only in this scoot or you had it on some other brit bike/scoot?
Dunno, how to post, feel like walking on the rope



just see the skectch of the controls & see pic insert, showing,how the panel switch looks (note the key in the middle of the "parrot nose knob
since,the switch doesnt have the knob & key in my Fanta'lus, only alternative is to search the "wipac" product list & source it ( think some '50s British cars had this 5 position or more wipac control switches)
ps: Friends like Karl, Ajay, stanher,....... can suggest a control knob or switch assy, from Brit cars..



Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2009 at 15:28. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 21:33   #94
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
powertwin can be sure that this is the only original surviving example of the bygone era.The paint scheme is straight from the Madras Royal Enfield factory.Does the self starter work? The self's used to conk off, leaving the riders in the lurch.
anjan ji, Posted pretty long explanation, yester day, but was deleted, saying that post was un readable !!!
Have sent it to Tuffryder, to post on my behalf, dunno he obliges or ...
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 13:57   #95
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mr. MKK that is a really FAntaBULOUS scoot. What next?
Have nt you see that "Saund Zweird" 50cc bike, with a Victoria's type v2
powertrain

Can somebody guide me how to pronounce this S Z ???
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 15:45   #96
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Have nt you see that "Saund Zweird" 50cc bike, with a Victoria's type v2
powertrain

Can somebody guide me how to pronounce this S Z ???
If I remember correctly, the "VICKY" 50cc ( Victoria ) is originally by "Saund Zweird" company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Hi All,
Even before picking my RE Fantabulus scooter just few days before,I knew some thing about "Fantabulus".
There is lot misconception about this machine amoung bike enthusiasts, now I have both Sherpa & Fantabulus,so think, Iam eligible to say few words about Fantastic Fantabulus!!.
( Let me post the pics later....., coz there is more chance to go off the topic (technical features)
1) Though both sherpa & Fantabulus had 173cc Villiers powertrain ( integrated engine & gearbox) they differ in crank case & gear box construction.
1a) Sherpa had two types of engines ---- one with "Siba-dyna start" & other one with pure conventional Kick start { so we are talking about the one with siba-dyna start only, in this thread}
2) Gear ratios totally differ,coz F'lus had 10" wheels & Sherpa is 18" wheels
( there are more parameters to be taken into account....lets stay Basic!!)
3)Clutch in F'lus is simple Multi plate ,oil running one, ( not diaphram clutch as told by some of our friend.,...........)
4)Sherpa has 18mm lodge type spark plug, whereas F'lus has 14mm short reach plug
5) Exhaust construction is entirly differant,....so needless to say there will be differance in " Exhaust Duration" ( this I am talking about Port location)
5a) this I am telling in particular,coz even I have heard about people "Transplating Engine from F"lus to Sherpa & visversa" on those days.
6) Gear shifter pedal (S) in F'lus is nothing but our " Toe& heel" operation, but ,the ergonomics of the pedals is so fantastic (toe position is in offset with the Heel shifter)
7)Now about the " Siba-Dyna start" in F'lus:
Though the construction is bit cumbersome & complicated, this is a best method,if one understands this method.........if he is going to lay his hands on this part of the machine!!
"I guess, this was the fundamental aspect, which made our mechanics(on those days) to keep away from this machine."
( still, you can see some old timers,flashing stories of reverse rotation of the engine & stuff!!.....how can this happen????
..........I'll be pleased to hear,if some one could explain this technically!!)
On my opinion, this Scooter would have been a smash hit in UK, market if Royal Enfeild, have not closed their doors at Redditch at 1964,provided if the export policy of Enfeild India, worked good.
As told by some in this thread, Battery quality would have been not up to the mark on those days.
Technical Details of Fantabulus:
Engine: Villiers two stroke, fan cooled, with built in self starter.
Bore X stroke : 59 X 63.5 mm
capacity:173cc / power out put: 7.4 Bhp @ 5000rpm
4 speed / final drive by chain thru' rubber cush drive in rear wheel.
Suspension : Front ;- Leading dual link pivotted fork with hydralic dampers.
Rear; - Single swing arm pivotted with hydralic dampers ( shockabsorbers)
Wheels: 10" splitable rims ...interchangeable F&R
Electricals: battery;- 6V^ 12 amp....2 nos connected in series
Head lamp ; Miller, pre focused 12 V 36 W / 36 w.
* Gear neautral indicator
** Ignition indicator light
*** Trafficators ( optional)
Un laden weight :130 kgms
will post my F'lus pics tommorow, yet to be restored though.
If you dont mind, could you please describe the clutch plate assembly of the "Fantambulous" or could you post some when available?. I remember seeing multiple plates each with slight bulge in the middle between the friction plates instead of the usual clutch springs. The bulge acts as the spring. I may be wrong. I would like to get myself corrected on this item. my E-mail ID is sudharma99@gmail,com. Whenever you get time.
Regards

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2009 at 15:28. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 20:31   #97
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
If you dont mind, could you please describe the clutch plate assembly of the "Fantambulous" or could you post some when available?. I remember seeing multiple plates each with slight bulge in the middle between the friction plates instead of the usual clutch springs. The bulge acts as the spring. I may be wrong. I would like to get myself corrected on this item. my E-mail ID is sudharma99@gmail,com. Whenever you get time.
Regards
Sure, will send pics of this fantabulus, when I open the engine!!
plz wait for few days, I'll find & post pics of the Dyna start engine(villiers)
Satish ji ,hereafter plz spell it as " Fantabulus"
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 20:48   #98
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
anjan ji, Posted pretty long explanation, yester day, but was deleted, saying that post was un readable !!!
Have sent it to Tuffryder, to post on my behalf, dunno he obliges or ...
Powertwin am constantly reading your thread as this was a freak and is a rare scooter of its times. Very few survive I feel. Most have been scrapped for riddance, I believe by owners who either due to the age factor or wanted a replacement or could not get spares or found it too costly on fuel after successive fuel price hikes. So your find is quite interesting as its a rare piece.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th April 2009 at 20:58.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 21:27   #99
BHPian
 
TuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
anjan ji, Posted pretty long explanation, yester day, but was deleted, saying that post was un readable !!!
Have sent it to Tuffryder, to post on my behalf, dunno he obliges or ...
Here is the post by PowerTwin that was deleted. Posting it after some editing.

__________________________________________________ _________

"Well, Anjan bro, this kind sharing thoughts & memories in the forum really helps the fellow members to get involved in the topic .

Yes, the self starter works (wasnt working till she came to me and thats why she was passed to my hands, now fixed!!)

About this starter (Siba Dynastart), the Siba Dynastart was fitted to a number of British & other European motorbikes is also a d.c. output generator. It incorparates a face commutatator within the rotor. When the rotor is fitted, the commutator bars impact with an arrangement of four carbon brushes. The brushes act like those of the spindle-type commutator to pick up current, transmitting to voltage control unit & battery for lighting & coil iginition.

Like the spindle commutator, the Siba will "motor" if current is reversed through the windings and this is employed to make the siba generator act also a starter. The brushes, therefore have double duty:
(1) Picking up current from the face commutator and
(2) Delivering it back from battery to make the rotor spin & start the engine.

In this type of set up, it is advisable to remove rotor at intervals of atleast 15000 kms to inspect the brushes & clean the deposits in between commutator bars. Brushes are marked to show permmissable (max) wear. Only one should be dismantled at a time to avoid losing the predetermined setting of brush holders. The working involves removing engine cover(outer), extracting the rotor from the main shaft of the engine, contact breaker mechanism (points to say simple) is housed in the engine cover and cam is screwed to the rotor face. To do this properly, all we need a special tool (by Siba), obiviously most of mech friends are pretty allergic, I think, even this also would have made our old time mech gurus to say "Ho!! No!! Fantabulus!! Failure Fantabulus!!"

PS: How can one expect a dynastart unit to work good without even cleaning the carbon deposits???

PPS: Many ex-Enfeild authorised service center mechanics never knew to dismantale the rotor & above said stuff (1960's mechs I mean.)

And about the "Controls & its location" you are right, let me post a sketch showing the details of the set up:

Panel Switch: has five positions: PK - OFF - IG & CH - H - L
PK: Parking
IG & CH: Ignition & charging (it must be in this position, when running)
H: hi, speedo 7 tail lights on.
L: All lights on except head.
__________________________________________________ __________

Cheers

Last edited by TuffRyder : 26th April 2009 at 21:31.
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 21:31   #100
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Exclamation For you & you only

[quote=sudharma;1277195]If you dont mind, could you please describe the clutch plate assembly of the "Fantambulous" or could you post some when available?. I remember seeing multiple plates each with slight bulge in the middle between the friction plates instead of the usual clutch springs. The bulge acts as the spring. I may be wrong. I would like to get myself corrected on this item. my E-mail ID is sudharma99@gmail,com. Whenever you get time.
Regards[/quote
sudharma sir, Iam posting a pic, when I fixed my Sherpa engine dynastart portin & started the machine (where you can see the clutch portion.....pic quality is very poor, though!!)
Also, Iam posting exploded veiw of the clutch portion ( from web)
Hope, you will be able to recollect you memories
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-villi-clutch.jpg  

Attached Images
 
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 09:30   #101
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Here is the post by PowerTwin that was deleted. Posting it after some editing.

__________________________________________________ _________

"Well, Anjan bro, this kind sharing thoughts & memories in the forum really helps the fellow members to get involved in the topic .

Yes, the self starter works (wasnt working till she came to me and thats why she was passed to my hands, now fixed!!)

About this starter (Siba Dynastart), the Siba Dynastart was fitted to a number of British & other European motorbikes is also a d.c. output generator. It incorparates a face commutatator within the rotor. When the rotor is fitted, the commutator bars impact with an arrangement of four carbon brushes. The brushes act like those of the spindle-type commutator to pick up current, transmitting to voltage control unit & battery for lighting & coil iginition.

Like the spindle commutator, the Siba will "motor" if current is reversed through the windings and this is employed to make the siba generator act also a starter. The brushes, therefore have double duty:
(1) Picking up current from the face commutator and
(2) Delivering it back from battery to make the rotor spin & start the engine.

In this type of set up, it is advisable to remove rotor at intervals of atleast 15000 kms to inspect the brushes & clean the deposits in between commutator bars. Brushes are marked to show permmissable (max) wear. Only one should be dismantled at a time to avoid losing the predetermined setting of brush holders. The working involves removing engine cover(outer), extracting the rotor from the main shaft of the engine, contact breaker mechanism (points to say simple) is housed in the engine cover and cam is screwed to the rotor face. To do this properly, all we need a special tool (by Siba), obiviously most of mech friends are pretty allergic, I think, even this also would have made our old time mech gurus to say "Ho!! No!! Fantabulus!! Failure Fantabulus!!"

PS: How can one expect a dynastart unit to work good without even cleaning the carbon deposits???

PPS: Many ex-Enfeild authorised service center mechanics never knew to dismantale the rotor & above said stuff (1960's mechs I mean.)

And about the "Controls & its location" you are right, let me post a sketch showing the details of the set up:

Panel Switch: has five positions: PK - OFF - IG & CH - H - L
PK: Parking
IG & CH: Ignition & charging (it must be in this position, when running)
H: hi, speedo 7 tail lights on.
L: All lights on except head.
__________________________________________________ __________

Cheers
If I remember correctly, there were 2 windings, the generator and another heavier starter winding. When you crank the engine, the generator and the ignition is disabled and is enabled only when you release the cranking. Please correct me if I am wrong. Never had any wiring diagrams in those days (60's). Would like to see the complete Dynastart exploded view.Need to get my memory upto date so bear with me. Your are very correct in saying that this is a very difficult item to maintain and only very few mechanics dare to work on this.
Regards,
Sathish
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 09:33   #102
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Sure, will send pics of this fantabulus, when I open the engine!!
plz wait for few days, I'll find & post pics of the Dyna start engine(villiers)
Satish ji ,hereafter plz spell it as " Fantabulus"
Thanks I will do that. "Fantabulus" it is.

Regards,
Sathish
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:43   #103
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Got it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mr. MKK: You have any alternative for the panel switch? Did this type of switch come only in this scoot or you had it on some other brit bike/scoot?
Till now, I could'nt find a 5 (five) position panel switch,other then this wipac. BUT, today I got it fresh.
( Thanks Mr.Maheen)
How's that Pat !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10922.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10923.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10924.jpg  

powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:43   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default

Thanks powertwin the thread is becoming very informative and lets hope it becomes a mini encyclopedia for Fantabulus scooter lovers.Do keep us posted with the restoration as it continues.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 00:11   #105
BHPian
 
TuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
How's that Pat !!!
Fantastic Now how did u manage this?
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Cylinder Enfield Rtech Motorbikes 33 19th December 2013 07:29
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47
bigger tyres for enfield! devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 7th September 2009 13:11
Enfield amitoj Shifting gears 0 17th November 2004 14:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks