Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2015, 20:39   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 702 Times
Default

Karlos great going there, to see all those original parts is mind blowing. I have 2 questions by the way -

1.) Did Indian cars came with Italian lights right up to the delight or did we had PA parts, in my cars I have seen PA front park lights, would that be aftermarket stuff, and do these need to be chrome plated.

2.) On the inside door opening handles do you have part numbers as well. I don't have so asking.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 20:53   #47
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Karlos great going there, to see all those original parts is mind blowing. I have 2 questions by the way -

1.) Did Indian cars came with Italian lights right up to the delight or did we had PA parts, in my cars I have seen PA front park lights, would that be aftermarket stuff, and do these need to be chrome plated.

2.) On the inside door opening handles do you have part numbers as well. I don't have so asking.
As far as I have seen on many very original cars, the Selects and Super Selects came with PA stamped aluminium units. Why my car has all Italian units I cannot explain. Maybe they had special VIP quota cars?

Since I had only one Altissimmo taillight and one damaged Altissimo number plate light, I'm fitting aluminium units for now, till I find replacements.

The inner handles are stamped with this part number. I am missing 1 handle.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-handle-1.jpg

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-handle-2.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:35   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 702 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The inner handles are stamped with this part number. I am missing 1 handle.
Thanks for the reply. Wow this is new info for us. Could this be export model??

Also I am asking for the door opening handle inside the door. I have these window winders with part number but door opening handles do not have part numbers.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 10:46   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,658 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Dear Karl - perfect in everything! Just put the S1 alternator mounting bracket for reliability's sake. The current one is the aftermarket Lucas TVS unit, known to give problems. Use the Fenner 1020 mm size cogged belt. It is a little hard to find. Alternatively, you can use Fenner 1000 mm which is easily available as it is used in the M&M Jeep. Original Autolec water pumps are still available in Alagendran Motor Stores (now Dhanam Motor Stores) in Coimbatore. Maybe Dr.Kannan can help.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 24th October 2015 at 10:47.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 15:44   #50
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
13th October 2015

The car finally back on 4 wheels. The wheels themselves were blasted and painted, but in great shape anyways. A couple of missing clips were replaced, and new MRF Twin Tread cross plies were fitted. Luckily I had bought them some time back, now they are hard to find.
Karl,

The detailing is truly stunning! I'm so happy looking at photos of that engine bay, I'm sure it's actually better in person!

A thought - is the radiator upper tank supposed to be polished brass and not painted? I would have thought that they were painted but then I know next to nothing about Fiats.

Regards,

P
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 09:47   #51
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
A thought - is the radiator upper tank supposed to be polished brass and not painted? I would have thought that they were painted but then I know next to nothing about Fiats.
Am used to seeing them in this combination, and earlier I checked for reference with original cars, all of them had a bare brass radiator top, so have left it this way. Should anyone be able to confirm differently, that's a different story.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 12:09   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

27th October 2015

The interior starts to go in - it is a mix and match unfortunately. Wherever the original remnants were intact, we have re-used them. Where mot available, we will have to use the closest match, which to be honest is not that close. The plan is to complete the car for now, and eventually when we can figure out how to custom print a fabric, to redo parts like the door panels and wheel arch covers.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-01a.jpg

Most of the hardware is installed and looks great after careful detailing. Even though hidden, the idea is to protect it long term from corrision.
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-02a.jpg

The seats have been tightly wrapped in a thick plastic sheet, and neatly crimped and tailored. Hopefully this should preserve the seats from further damage. I wonder what it will be like to sit on a plastic cover though!
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-03a.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th October 2015 at 12:10.
karlosdeville is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 17:47   #53
BHPian
 
boeuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blr
Posts: 176
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
1st October 2015


Oil filter container repainted in what I assume are the correct colours. Eventually need to figure out what decal to make for it. Filter cartridges themselves are not available, so was custom made.
]
Karlosdeville,
Can you please elaborate on how the filter cartridges were custom made.
boeuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:46   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Karlosdeville,
Can you please elaborate on how the filter cartridges were custom made.
Shall find out and share.

28th October 2015

My car does not have the original dry element air filter housing, so have substituted with a later Padmini unit, which looks very similar. The colour maybe is too bright, will wait to compare with an original sample.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6641.jpg

As we did in the Herald, we plan to fit a detachable console with tell tale gauges like oil pressure, charging etc. Luckily the original integrated temperature gauge is working, will need to repair the fuel gauge. Since we will be using the car for long distance I will have more peace of mind when monitoring parameters. Its bolt on, so no permanent damage, and can be removed before entering Pebble Beach

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6645.jpg

For now the side door pads, under dash shelf etc are upholstered with a plain cream material, till we can match to the original.

30th October 2015

Work continues on the number plate. New aluminum (= no rust) base plates were cut. The casting has some flaws and pitting, though I am keen to keep the older style of polished letters on a black plate. Still experimenting, lets see how it turns out.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6729.jpg

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6733.jpg

There is a large gap in the rear seat back and base - it had me confused for a while, till we realised that the upholstry base probably drapes down further, which was sewn up when readying the seats. Need to scratch our heads on this one.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6743.jpg

31st October 2015

Finally she looks like a car again! First trials taken, no nasty surprises. The front end is standing too high, though we have to wait to see if it settles. The sun shade is just not looking right, it maybe an incorrect size. Lets see how this goes.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6824.jpg

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_6826.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd November 2015 at 18:34.
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:06   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,329
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There is a large gap in the rear seat back and base - it had me confused for a while, till we realised that the upholstry base probably drapes down further, which was sewn up when readying the seats. Need to scratch our heads on this one.
I remember when I'd once procured a set of original but reupholstered seats for a fiat select I had then, I noticed a similar gap between the top and base pieces though not as much! As the top of the rear seat in these cars swings forward and lies flat when maybe to make room for extra luggage, I presumed the gap was necessary when the top swung forward.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:42   #56
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl - perfect in everything! Just put the S1 alternator mounting bracket for reliability's sake. The current one is the aftermarket Lucas TVS unit, known to give problems. Use the Fenner 1020 mm size cogged belt. It is a little hard to find. Alternatively, you can use Fenner 1000 mm which is easily available as it is used in the M&M Jeep. Original Autolec water pumps are still available in Alagendran Motor Stores (now Dhanam Motor Stores) in Coimbatore. Maybe Dr.Kannan can help.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Karl & Behram sir,

Actually just this evening I went to Dhanam motors to get a water pump for my MILLECENTO as there was radiator water leak through a small hole from the pump. I was told that the seal might have gone.

I could only get a make called " Mummizo " or some thing costing about 650 rupees. They did not have any other make. I did ask them for a different make as I had got this same brand earlier.

I will ask the mechanic not to fit it tomorrow. I will look for this Autolec brand and if available here I will buy an extra one for Karl and courier it to him.

Any help from my side here in Coimbatore, please feel free Karl, I am at yours and Behram sirs service.

Thanks & regards.

Dr. Kannan.
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:38   #57
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Hi Karl & Behram sir

Made some calls to Fiat specific guy in Dhanam motors, found 2 Autolec water pumps!
Will be getting one for me tomorrow, will buy one for Karl if he needs it.

Karl please call me if you need it. My number 9994078668.

Regards.

Dr. Kannan.
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:48   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,658 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Dear Dr.Kannan - thanks for the goldmine find! , I knew that he had them, I would have picked them up if I had come to Coimbatore. .

Dear Karl - your water pump pulley is not original, it has 5 holes which seriously affects reliability. Do you have the metallic fan? If yes, you will need to find a pulley with two holes only, and fit it. Also fit a two hole spacer in front of the fan blade to subdue NVH. I had forgotten to mention this in my last post so telling now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 19:55   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Made some calls to Fiat specific guy in Dhanam motors, found 2 Autolec water pumps!
Will be getting one for me tomorrow, will buy one for Karl if he needs it.
Much obliged Dr.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl - your water pump pulley is not original, it has 5 holes which seriously affects reliability. Do you have the metallic fan? If yes, you will need to find a pulley with two holes only, and fit it. Also fit a two hole spacer in front of the fan blade to subdue NVH. I had forgotten to mention this in my last post so telling now.
Thanks - will understand better from you when we meet next.

3rd November 2015

The car is nearing completion, finishing touches are in progress. The cast letters and numbers for the plate had many flaws which would be visible since I wanted to keep them polished. They were sprayed silver instead, they look as good.

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_7042.jpg

I'm confident these plates will give a nice period look.
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_7096.jpg

A few of the original wheel clips were weak, which were replaced. We sourced a set of local repro hubcaps (which do look pretty close), and after much adjustments got them to fit.
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_7191.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 23:43   #60
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 1,889 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Much obliged Dr.!



Thanks - will understand better from you when we meet next.

3rd November 2015

The car is nearing completion, finishing touches are in progress. The cast letters and numbers for the plate had many flaws which would be visible since I wanted to keep them polished. They were sprayed silver instead, they look as good.

Attachment 1435793

I'm confident these plates will give a nice period look.
Attachment 1435794

A few of the original wheel clips were weak, which were replaced. We sourced a set of local repro hubcaps (which do look pretty close), and after much adjustments got them to fit.
Attachment 1435795

May I ask how come you are running black on white instead of white on black for the number plate .
Carry paint for the long journeys ! It's a joke

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins. SuperSelect Post-War 382 4th May 2017 20:00
Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100! CAC444 Post-War 105 10th December 2016 01:13
1964 Fiat 1100 Super Select - A little makeover for her 50th Anniversary celebrations! dudesam24 Post-War 16 24th November 2016 12:30
Pics:My 1963 Fiat 1100 Cyrus43 Post-War 46 10th October 2015 17:30
Fiat Super Select sunilgee Post-War 9 5th January 2010 16:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks