Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 7th June 2016, 09:35   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post
Amazing job Karl. I am inspired and considering to restore another 1100 S. I have found a seller and have also managed to get few pics from him. Can you please have a look and tell me your views on the conditions of the car. The seller is a fourth owner but the car seems to be in a decent. I have been told by the seller that it is in working condition. However, few parts, such as the door handle on the right side, are missing. Would appreciate if you guys can help me in evaluating the condition of the car and the possibility of restoring it. Thanks
Glad to hear of another car hopefully to be restored. This looks ok as a project to start with, be prepared for many surprises as you begin the stripping process. I would normally advise you to wait for a more original car in better body condition, but that's not likely to happen these days. Also beware that parts are now near impossible to come by, and when they do, atrociously expensive. I was lucky with my car, almost everything was in place. Good luck.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 20:10   #92
BHPian

Hi Karl Sir
Congratulations on the restoration. I remember talking to you on the Fiat many years ago. I still remember your advise that ou had given me when i was thinking of getting the 1993 premier padmini restored that if the initial product is in good condition the restoration can be less challenging. Awesome is the word for your restoration and I am sure this would continue to be a real head turner in the times to come.
Thanks for all the advises and the suggestions that you helped with when i was restoring my dad's 1974 bajaj 150. I still have it and have been able to maintain the same in good condition 5 years after the restoration.
regards
Sushil narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 13:03   #93

What a joy to read this thread, reminds me of the 1963 Super select my grandfather had, which was purchased from a Railway Official Shri. Seshagiri Rao.
The car went through a rough transition being used by him then when my mom learn learnt driving in 1987 he gave her the fiat and purchased a Maruti OMNI High roof Van.

In 1990/91 M/s Sundaram Motors the Fiat Authorised Dealer (To the best of my knowledge) had a new fiat body which was bought for a customer and damaged slightly in transition so it was available for us to renovate the 63 super select to Premier Padmini 90/91.
I do not remember how much it cost us then but was almost a lot.

This 63 super select with the 90 body is lying idle now. Dont know which part of it is actually super select or PP.

The engine is definitely 63. But sans a few parts such as radiator, ignition coil, etc.

Though I want to restore it, but am unclear which direction i should go, as I cannot restore it as a 63SS nor 90 PP. At the same time cant see it die.

I do not mind swapping the engine if someone is truly looking for a 63 SS Engine.

Here are some pic of the car when it was shabbily redone by me in 2005.

Sorry for the low quality pic, but these are the only ones I have from 12 yrs ago.

I do have some of the old original 63 SS pics will try and look for them.

Thanks All
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-dscn5675.jpg  

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-dscn5676.jpg  

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-dscn5673.jpg  

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-dscn5858.jpg  

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-dscn5870.jpg  

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-dscn5852.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2017 at 13:16. Reason: Back to back posts, please edit the original post instead. Thanks.
Slider is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 20:01   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
In 1990/91 M/s Sundaram Motors the Fiat Authorised Dealer (To the best of my knowledge) had a new fiat body which was bought for a customer and damaged slightly in transition so it was available for us to renovate the 63 super select to Premier Padmini 90/91.
I do not remember how much it cost us then but was almost a lot.

This 63 super select with the 90 body is lying idle now.
Dont know which part of it is actually super select or PP.
Well, my take is- since the entire body has been changed (and I'm not familiar how that could be feasible at all with a monocoque shell, more so with how the RTO endorsement etc. was handled!), that too to a completely different model's, then it can no longer be called a '63 super select'- it remains just a '90 padmini with a '63 Super select's numberplate/RC (and engine as you mention, though that makes hardly any difference)!
IMHO you can still try and restore it out of your personal sentiment for the car, but not worth doing it to '63 Super select specs, again for the reason stated above! You can perhaps only achieve that cosmetically and that too, to some extent only! It will still be called and seen as a Padmini!
If you are keen on maintaining 1100 looks, you can maybe try for a Fiat 1100 Delight front grille and other cosmetics viz., bumpers, hubcaps, badges and steering wheel, meter etc. A friend in Bangalore, who also owns a '90s? padmini has garnished it completely with Fiat 1100D cosmetics so it looks like one. Though that car mechanically and document-wise is very much a padmini.

Last edited by Stanher : 1st June 2017 at 20:03.
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 10:52   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, my take is- since the entire body has been changed (and I'm not familiar how that could be feasible at all with a monocoque shell, more so with how the RTO endorsement etc. was handled!), that too to a completely different model's, then it can no longer be called a '63 super select'- it remains just a '90 padmini with a '63 Super select's numberplate/RC (and engine as you mention, though that makes hardly any difference)!
IMHO you can still try and restore it out of your personal sentiment for the car, but not worth doing it to '63 Super select specs, again for the reason stated above! You can perhaps only achieve that cosmetically and that too, to some extent only! It will still be called and seen as a Padmini!
If you are keen on maintaining 1100 looks, you can maybe try for a Fiat 1100 Delight front grille and other cosmetics viz., bumpers, hubcaps, badges and steering wheel, meter etc. A friend in Bangalore, who also owns a '90s? padmini has garnished it completely with Fiat 1100D cosmetics so it looks like one. Though that car mechanically and document-wise is very much a padmini.

Dear Stahner,
Thanks for the suggestion, My Father in Law has 64 1100 delight maintained as original . It was used by his father who was the Police commissioner of Hyderabad during the 70's.
I could certainly pic ques from that car and do a delight on the 63.
Though sourcing the speedometer will be a herculean task.
Any Suggestions in this regard?

Thanks again
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:46   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Though sourcing the speedometer will be a herculean task.
Any Suggestions in this regard?
Yes indeed, very difficult to source now! You can maybe still try at the second hand spares shops.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote