Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 29th June 2011, 18:43   #706
BHPian

Default Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks for the feedback priyadarshan.I feel nostalgic as my uncle who was at Pune had a grey (single colour) Lambretta MHP 9173.This grey as I said succeeded the full white colour. It was the second full single colour offering by API, who had just then dumped the two tone. So being MHP 8612, your scooter might have originally been full white (not cream nor smoky white but just white)in colour. Or it may have been from the last lot of two tones.
The speedo and API monogram are from the Lamby.The tail light is from the Bajaj 150/Super. The front left side Lambretta Li150 badge should be horizontal as in the pictures of the scooters you see on this thread and not slanting as is the case with your scooter. As regards the engine kill switch its replaced by the ignition key in your case.The reason for the large scale fitment of the ignition switch with key was that the handle lock was unsafe.I as a child could open some handle locks of Lambrettas in our family with other keys, to play around.You also need to have the engine cover levers at their tail ends that are not in place.

I think it was wise to change the engine kill switch to ignition switch then. Since i do not have a secured parking space, i would prefer that switch instead of unsafe handle lock.
I will try to get that engine cover levers. But i dont see any holes to fit them. Were these engine covers borrowed from some later model?
I dont know if i can get those original tail lights and innocenti speedo but i will keep looking.

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 22:55   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Mine is a 1964 model. What about the grill below rear seat? Was it there on '64 models? There are the mounting holes present on scooter. If they stopped the round horn grill in '62, How come i have a round one?
If yours is indeed a '64 model with the original RC then chances are the horncast was changed, replaced with one from an older model, somewhere along the way.
Otherwise, as you reckon, there is no way a '64 Li couldve come with the round grill, they had the pear-shaped one by then. Since both the horncasts are interchangeable, there have been older Lis that got later type horncasts too as replacements...so now you'd just need to find one like that and swap!

And no, yours wouldnt come with the grille under the rear seat either. Surprising that it has the mounting holes present though! Even if your scoot were a 'leftover' example from 1962 and first registered a little later, it would've been atleast not more than a year, ie. 1963.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 23:17   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And no, yours wouldnt come with the grille under the rear seat either. Surprising that it has the mounting holes present though! Even if your scoot were a 'leftover' example from 1962 and first registered a little later, it would've been atleast not more than a year, ie. 1963.
The aluminum grille below the rear seat had gone by 1962 with the engine cover Lambretta monogram. Thereafter the scooters came with two holes owing to the absence of the rear grille. White rubber bushes to cover them. Our 1967 Lambretta had such two round rubber bushes,one over each hole which I feel was India specific.
The logic was to reduce the manufacturing costs by slicing all possible ornamentation. The government controlled the prices of motor vehicles and the Lambretta scooter was available for something like Rs 3060/- on -road in Maharashtra.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:26   #709
BHPian

Quote:
The aluminum grille below the rear seat had gone by 1962 with the engine cover Lambretta monogram. Thereafter the scooters came with two holes owing to the absence of the rear grille. White rubber bushes to cover them. Our 1967 Lambretta had such two round rubber bushes,one over each hole which I feel was India specific.
The logic was to reduce the manufacturing costs by slicing all possible ornamentation. The government controlled the prices of motor vehicles and the Lambretta scooter was available for something like Rs 3060/- on -road in Maharashtra.

Then i better find some plugs to close the holes. I dont think i will go for change of horn cast. This is a very rare case of later scooter being fitted with earlier parts. So i will just keep it that way. That narrows down my task to getting following original items.
1. Innocenti Badge on horn cast
2. Original tail lamp assembly
3. Original Speedo assembly.

The headlight glass and brake/clutch levers have API monograms on them. Is this original for this model?
Do i need to make holes in engine covers to fit the levers?
Old 30th June 2011, 11:56   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Then i better find some plugs to close the holes.
How about round headed stainless steel studs in place of rubber or plastic plugs? Have you got choke and petrol tap knobs made of aluminium?
What do you guys do for the packing the petrol knob hole? I had used the rubber inserts that go on Bajaj motor cycle to accomodate the knotch in the plastic side panels.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:57   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
How about round headed stainless steel studs in place of rubber or plastic plugs? Have you got choke and petrol tap knobs made of aluminium?
What do you guys do for the packing the petrol knob hole? I had used the rubber inserts that go on Bajaj motor cycle to accomodate the knotch in the plastic side panels.

The taps on my scooter are plastic ones and one of them doesnt work anyway.. Any way of getting those taps?
Old 30th June 2011, 15:05   #712
BHPian

Quote:
The taps on my scooter are plastic ones and one of them doesnt work anyway.. Any way of getting those taps?
Taps?? There is only one tap per scooter, near your left foot (in the driving posture). Other one is the choke. Could be possible that the choke knob assembly is rusted. Can be cleaned and oiled. Blocked taps are also repairable (Sometimes).
Old 30th June 2011, 15:23   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Taps?? There is only one tap per scooter, near your left foot (in the driving posture). Other one is the choke. Could be possible that the choke knob assembly is rusted. Can be cleaned and oiled. Blocked taps are also repairable (Sometimes).
Yes i meant both of them are plastic ones. And the choke doesnt work.
Dude its been a long time i took my Lambretta out in the open air.. I am planning on this weekend to give it a good cleaning and see what are the things to be done on that. If time (and the scooter ) permits i will drive it to your place.
Old 30th June 2011, 19:15   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Quote:
Then i better find some plugs to close the holes. I dont think i will go for change of horn cast. This is a very rare case of later scooter being fitted with earlier parts. So i will just keep it that way. That narrows down my task to getting following original items.
1. Innocenti Badge on horn cast
2. Original tail lamp assembly
3. Original Speedo assembly.

The headlight glass and brake/clutch levers have API monograms on them. Is this original for this model?
Do i need to make holes in engine covers to fit the levers?
priyadarshan, yes the Italian Lambrettas had the INNOCENTI label on the centre of the headlight glass.
The tail lamp assembly should be the metallic (I think it was painted on aluminum) one. .By 1975 white (would turn cream/yellow later on) and later by 1976 black plastic tail lamps were in vogue.
The brake and clutch levers did not have the API monogram in older Lambrettas as these were imported.It may now be tough to get original ones by replacing your levers.
As regards the engine covers,only when you get the complete lever assembly get them fitted in a reputed workshop. Holes will have to be drilled in such a case.
The required original spares take a long to come by sometimes. So patience can be exercised.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 19:31   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If yours is indeed a '64 model with the original RC then chances are the horncast was changed, replaced with one from an older model, somewhere along the way.
Otherwise, as you reckon, there is no way a '64 Li couldve come with the round grill, they had the pear-shaped one by then. Since both the horncasts are interchangeable, there have been older Lis that got later type horncasts too as replacements...so now you'd just need to find one like that and swap!

By my experience all MHP regd scooters had the round horn cast. My 62 MHP scooter (I think 62 or 63) also has the grille under the seat.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 22:54   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tail lamp assembly should be the metallic (I think it was painted on aluminum) one.
Actually AFAIK the aluminium tail-lamp assemblies were all unpainted. Also I have my own doubts about the innocenti horncats monogram appearing post 1961.

IIRC, it was replaced with a different one saying "Lambretta API" but with a similar design to the Innocenti one- they are very rare to find of course.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 23:45   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Actually AFAIK the aluminium tail-lamp assemblies were all unpainted. Also I have my own doubts about the innocenti horncats monogram appearing post 1961.

IIRC, it was replaced with a different one saying "Lambretta API" but with a similar design to the Innocenti one- they are very rare to find of course.
I second this. Post-1961 they came with the Lambretta API badge, which fortunately I managed to get one for my 62 scooter.
TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 10:55   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
By my experience all MHP regd scooters had the round horn cast. My 62 MHP scooter (I think 62 or 63) also has the grille under the seat.
I guess i have to look for this grill too then. I found some grills and innocenti badges on ebay uk. Can i buy from there? I have a cousin there who can carry that stuff for me.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:59   #719
BHPian

Quote:
I guess i have to look for this grill too then. I found some grills and innocenti badges on ebay uk. Can i buy from there? I have a cousin there who can carry that stuff for me.
Yes, sure you can buy and even get it posted direct to your address in India.

I bought similar items from ebay....no problem at all

cheers
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:37   #720
BHPian

Default Yet another Lambretta scooter lovers here

Hope you guys like this
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-new-image.jpg