Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 14:15   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,271
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Talking about Lambrettas, has any of you heard that song by Usha Uthup (then Usha Iyer) titled 'Lambretta'?
I did because my dad was a dealer,and all dealers got a free copy of that EP vinyl record.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 16:55   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Talking about Lambrettas, has any of you heard that song by Usha Uthup (then Usha Iyer) titled 'Lambretta'?
I did because my dad was a dealer,and all dealers got a free copy of that EP vinyl record.
Tried searching for it on youtube just now. But couldnt find it- was it a very popular song of hers?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 18:08   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,271
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Tried searching for it on youtube just now. But couldnt find it- was it a very popular song of hers?
Well, I'm not sure how popular it was, but all dealers had a copy of that song. It was good, acc to me. I think her dad used to work in A.P.I. and she gave a live audtion in one of their dealer meets in 1972 or 73.
I wish I could lay may hands on that number now. I think that Extended Play vinyl disc went away with our record player when we shifted to another town.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:09   #124
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hubli
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Karl, the scoot had your seal of approval, which is one reason I picked it up! I have a few queries about what trim an original 1970 API Lambretta had, as my scoot is missing some stuff.
The legshields have a hole each near the top of the shield. These are vacant right now, so I'm wondering what used to be fixed there? Looked for photos on the web, but nothing. The 1971 model that my dad owned had the same holes, which were occupied by rounded studs. Is this the right trim?
Also my API badge looks like a cheap imitation or a chrome job gone wrong. I'm looking for the badge, if not found, Stanher said he might be able to help.
The rear lamp is cracked, and I don't think the housing is the right one. The horn grille is damaged, but I should be able to find a replacement.
Can anyone shed some light? Photos below:
Hi Sid, hope this helps,

The original trim was a chrome plated 5 pointed star (Not the star of david) more like a christmas star.

Just below the star on the right had side, there used to be a chrome plated legend that read "Lambretta - 150". The 150 was sightly below the Lambretta.

The housing as you rightly spotted is a replacement. The original was more rounded.

An uncle of mine has a similar scooter, let me see if he knows its whereabouts, it doesnt run anymore but it has the original trims. Might be of use to you.

The original API badge was gorged out by some lunatic more than 10-12 years ago. We got a replacement but it was nowhere close to the original.

Will keep a look out for the trims, if i find any here in hubli I will get them for you.
antochristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:36   #125
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default From the original owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by antochristy View Post
Hi Sid, hope this helps,

The original trim was a chrome plated 5 pointed star (Not the star of david) more like a christmas star.

Just below the star on the right had side, there used to be a chrome plated legend that read "Lambretta - 150". The 150 was sightly below the Lambretta.

The housing as you rightly spotted is a replacement. The original was more rounded.

An uncle of mine has a similar scooter, let me see if he knows its whereabouts, it doesnt run anymore but it has the original trims. Might be of use to you.

The original API badge was gorged out by some lunatic more than 10-12 years ago. We got a replacement but it was nowhere close to the original.

Will keep a look out for the trims, if i find any here in hubli I will get them for you.
Good of you to help us out with first-hand info, Anto! Guys, I picked up my 1970 Lambretta from Anto's dad. What good care had been bestowed on it! No major probs, a 1 or max 2 kick start, nice solid piece. My mech was pretty impressed too!
I have a Lambretta LI 150 monogram for the legshield, am enquiring with a couple of other guys for the other trim. If you do find something, that'd be great!
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 00:32   #126
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default 1976 Lambretta LI 150 S2 (?)

Saw this Lambretta recently, well maintained, but not for sale! Excuse the mobile phone pics!
Regn number not blanked out, cos I have the owner's approval:
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00728.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00727_rs.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00729_rs.jpg  

Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:15   #127
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

I hope you guys have checked this thread out.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ambrettas.html
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 08:52   #128
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Saw this Lambretta recently, well maintained, but not for sale! Excuse the mobile phone pics!
Regn number not blanked out, cos I have the owner's approval:
If its indeed a '76 model its not a lambretta but a lamby 150, although fitted with lambretta side-panels and the spare tyre holder with 4 sticks. Everything else is correct as per Lamby.
'looks like the owner had retrofitted lambretta parts to make his scooter look more classic.
Pity bout the chetak glovebox though.

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd June 2008 at 08:54.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:18   #129
BHPian
 
Bullfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Pity bout the chetak glovebox though.
Yeah. Remember seeing a flexible storage in place of Glovebox (later in Bajaj Priya and Super it was rigid and painted) on a authentic Lambretta. It would allow you to carry even documents by holding it in place. Sorry no pics. Wanted to find out if it was OE or maybe standard accessory available at that time.

cheers
Bullfrog
Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:16   #130
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Retro Lamby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
If its indeed a '76 model its not a lambretta but a lamby 150, although fitted with lambretta side-panels and the spare tyre holder with 4 sticks. Everything else is correct as per Lamby.
'looks like the owner had retrofitted lambretta parts to make his scooter look more classic.
Pity bout the chetak glovebox though.
When he told me 76 Lambretta, I was doubtful. He insisted its a Lambretta, so I assume he's changed his side panels and spare holder to make it look more "Lambretta", less "Lamby". The mudguard does look like a Lamby piece. The glovebox is ok, but not a standard fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Yeah. Remember seeing a flexible storage in place of Glovebox (later in Bajaj Priya and Super it was rigid and painted) on a authentic Lambretta. It would allow you to carry even documents by holding it in place. Sorry no pics. Wanted to find out if it was OE or maybe standard accessory available at that time.

cheers
Bullfrog
Was it a bag like you see here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post868441
Stanher posted these pics of Lamby 150.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 10:16   #131
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Im quite positive the Lambretta li 150 was available in 76, though Im unsure of when the Lamby was introduced and whether it was available side by side.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 18:39   #132
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Speaking of badges, Mr, Rashid Mody yesterday gave me this horncast badge with the Innocenti emblem- of course its a replica (original comes in chrome I guess) but I was so thrilled it shows innocenti, which is correct for my '61 s2, I hugged him when he gave it to me!

I guess I'll fit it on my scoot once its done up.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_0747.jpg  

Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 19:43   #133
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Original trim

And speaking of trim in general, all the Lambrettas I've seen seem to be missing something or the other. Usually some non-standard replacement is used. Guess the trim is removed for a paint job, and the paint guy either "loses" them or doesn't bother fixing it back. In the case of my scoot, the original owner told me that someone gouged out the original API horncast badge, and he had it replaced it with a plastic reproduction.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 20:13   #134
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Ha!!

I have a favourite lambretta too! It's on my lucky teeshirt that always makes sure I'm in the papers one way or the other.

See?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post513826

And see?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post513806
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 21:09   #135
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default 6666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Ha!!

I have a favourite lambretta too! It's on my lucky teeshirt that always makes sure I'm in the papers one way or the other.

See?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post513826

And see?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post513806
Hopefully, your luck peaked today, and something good happened to you, as you just made your 6,666th post!
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
3 recent acquisitions - A Lambretta & 2 Vespas. Update: restoration of 1973 Lambretta wbd8779 Post-War 44 8th January 2012 07:33
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Decals of Scooter Club Badges for my Lambretta... stevie g Motorbikes 0 7th March 2009 01:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks