Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 13th May 2017, 07:51   #46

Default Re: Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Arun did spot your car in front of MGM college and was posted in Team Bhp too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post4124415 (Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery)
Awesome! I live near mgm. We should meet up sometime. Let me know if you are around here. My number is 07760906897.
the alpha male is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 10:24   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the alpha male View Post
Lpg huh. Interesting. Keep updating. I'm quite glad someone is using a non Isuzu petrol engine. I've been using mine as a daily driver for the past 2 years since I overhauled it. I never thought it would be this reliable!
You have a nice car. As you said, these cars are reliable if taken care. Noted that it you have fitted an AC. I hope the engine is able to take the load. Please have an eye on the engine temperature as these engines have a tendency to overheat under AC load.
ARUN.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 13:06   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post
You have a nice car. As you said, these cars are reliable if taken care. Noted that it you have fitted an AC. I hope the engine is able to take the load. Please have an eye on the engine temperature as these engines have a tendency to overheat under AC load.
I haven't connected the compressor yet. I'm planning to put a custom radiator wider than the original and replace the mechanical fan with 2 electric ones. One fan connected to a thermostat and the other fan relayed into the AC compressor.

Also I'm in the middle of a twin Carburetor conversion for more power and hopefully better mileage.

Right now I have a slightly high compression head and pistons and a slightly larger exhaust which helps the engine breathe better. This has made overtaking in the highway a breeze. Puts a few modern cars to shame!

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-22032014224.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2017 at 19:55.
the alpha male is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 10:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Also I'm in the middle of a twin Carburetor conversion for more power and hopefully better mileage.

Attachment 1638771
Hi, is that a fiat inlet manifold thats modified to hold 2 carbs?

When you go for twin carbs, isn't it better to connect each carb individually to the 2 inlet ports on the head? What I see now is that the 2 carb downstream sides are meeting in one orifice and then it again gets split into 2 on another manifold - will this really serve the purpose?

May be the setup you planned is different from what I imagine it to be, more pics can surely help

Last edited by autocrat : 16th May 2017 at 10:38.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 11:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

When you go for twin carbs, isn't it better to connect each carb individually to the 2 inlet ports on the head? What I see now is that the 2 carb downstream sides are meeting in one orifice and then it again gets split into 2 on another manifold - will this really serve the purpose?

May be the setup you planned is different from what I imagine it to be, more pics can surely help
If we have side draft carburetor, we can directly mount with a simple Y pipe fabricated.

With this I agree there will be more restriction causing not to benefit from the 2 carb setup. And again why use solex, use mikuni if we are doing custom work.

And you need 2 of these to be made (made of steel tubing and MS plates)

Name:  carburetor1.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  54.2 KB
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 02:48   #51

Quote:

The 2 carbs are not meeting in one orfice. There are two holes on the other side of the manifold directly below the carburetors that go into the head. This is an Ambassador Solex type manifold modified to hold two carbs. I have seen twin SU carbs set up and this is similar to that except with downdraft carburetors.

I drove with these for about a week and there was a substantial increase in performance. Only problem was that the second Solex carburetor started leaking from the center. So I switched it back to single carburetor. Right now I'm sourcing the gaskets for Solex from Hyderabad. I'll try it again after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
If we have side draft carburetor, we can directly mount with a simple Y pipe fabricated.

With this I agree there will be more restriction causing not to benefit from the 2 carb setup. And again why use solex, use mikuni if we are doing custom work.

And you need 2 of these to be made (made of steel tubing and MS plates)

Attachment 1639289
Do you mean 2 mikuni carbs or just a single mikuni carb? I tried the single mikuni carb from the Esteem on my Ambassador and it was one of the worst experiences I've had with a modification. Overtaking was impossible.

From what I've seen Mikuni carburetors seem to be tuned for mileage. I switched the mikuni carb in my Contessa for a Nikki carb. The performance difference was huge.

Quote:

The two holes are blocked from each other from the inside. As you can see the 2 carburetors sit directly on top of the 2 holes that lead to the 2 inlets of the head.

So basically it's like you suggested. They are connected individually. I need the middle bit for support as that's the part that bolts on top of the exhaust manifold. Hope this clears up the confusion. I believe this is the closest I can get to the twin SU carb set up they originally designed this engine for in the UK which adds to about 10HP. 15Hp with high compression.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170521_030018.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170521_030009.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st May 2017 at 08:38. Reason: Back to back posts. Thanks.
the alpha male is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
. Right now I'm sourcing the gaskets for Solex from Hyderabad. I'll try it again after that.

The two holes are blocked from each other from the inside. As you can see the 2 carburetors sit directly on top of the 2 holes that lead to the 2 inlets of the head.

So basically it's like you suggested. They are connected individually. I need the middle bit for support as that's the part that bolts on top of the exhaust manifold. Hope this clears up the confusion. I believe this is the closest I can get to the twin SU carb set up they originally designed this engine for in the UK which adds to about 10HP. 15Hp with high compression.
Nice! Some shops in Bangalore still have original packing kits of SOLEX made in 1990/1991, please do let me know if you face difficulty in getting them from Hyderabad, I can source and send.

I have a SU carb, I am looking for the manifold for that one - currently on SOLEX. Behram Dhabhar Sir used to say, "All self respecting SOLEX carbs leak a little"
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:32   #53

Quote:
Nice! Some shops in Bangalore still have original packing kits of SOLEX made in 1990/1991, please do let me know if you face difficulty in getting them from Hyderabad, I can source and send.

I have a SU carb, I am looking for the manifold for that one - currently on SOLEX. Behram Dhabhar Sir used to say, "All self respecting SOLEX carbs leak a little"
I would love that. I received the packing yesterday but I could always use a spare. My phone number is 07760906897. I live in Udupi currently. Please contact me in whatsapp.
Old 26th May 2017, 15:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean 2 mikuni carbs or just a single mikuni carb? I tried the single mikuni carb from the Esteem on my Ambassador and it was one of the worst experiences I've had with a modification. Overtaking was impossible.

From what I've seen Mikuni carburetors seem to be tuned for mileage. I switched the mikuni carb in my Contessa for a Nikki carb. The performance difference was huge.
Yes you have to use 2 of them, modified to feed the hunger of your bigger engine .
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 15:55   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Yes you have to use 2 of them, modified to feed the hunger of your bigger engine .
Interesting. So that would be 4 barrels in total? Has anyone ever tried this before?
Old 21st June 2017, 16:20   #56
BHPian

This will be totally off-topic, however I am somehow unable to resist myself to jot-down the experiences I had with this Classic. I simply cannot express how much I love this car.

Ambassador was the car I learned my driving on, when young. Along side developing my interest in the cars.

Dad used have them as taxis booked for his office, before we bought one.

We had Had a 1979 Mark III/IV not sure, was not aware so much in those days. We were the second owner. Car was an absolute Gem. Golden colored one of a kind in the city & many neighboring cities as well. I can remember travelling to Somnath, Badrinath & Rameshwaram from Indore in that. In fact all 12 Jyotirlings & 4 Dhams were covered by that.
The engine was some BMC-Movague (Or Something). This is was the only diesel Ambassador that climbed the Matheran Ghat in 1991. Trust me on this.
The original car when came home carried the Gear lever under the steering which was later converted to floor gears.

Sadly it met a dreadful accident when my uncle was driving it. Car was a mess. But as a loyal member of the family, car ensured not even a single scratch to the occupants (I know I am sounding too emotional - But this is true).

We had to do a body swap as the original body was beyond repairs.
Came back from repairs, but somehow was not the same as earlier. Had too many garage visits & repairs at home. Was a spectator to all of this & this lead to my interests in cars.

After 10 Years of spotless service (Before accident): Dad decided to let it go two years after accident in 1996. we tried our best to request him to retain it. But to no avail. Now i understand, that would not have been possible.

It was sold to one of my dad's known in our hometown. Post reading this thread, the feelings have popped up. I will start looking for that car again & if she is not scrapped; you never know I may be in the league of the Amby owners as well.

Thanks again for letting me have an opportunity to revisit the old days & reliving the memories.

Thanks Again.
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 21st June 2017 at 16:27.
saurabh2711 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote