Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 19th November 2016, 23:41   #1

Default Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat

So finally done with most of the work on the family classic, our '54 Diplomat. Posting a few pictures below.

I needed some help from the knowledgeable people from this forum regarding legal issues with old cars. This particular car was bought and registered by my grandfather in 1954, and then subsequently passed down to my father. We have the original registration documents. Also, the one time tax was paid for the car in 1996, and the original receipt is also available.

I had two questions : Do such cars require re-registration or any further tax payment? Also, since insurance is mandatory, do any of you know of insurance brokers in Pune/Mumbai (preferably Pune) who do old car insurance?

Any help would be great, Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat-desoto2.png  

Attached Images

rbp1988 is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 00:16   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat

Hi!

Though I don't have any answers to your questions...what I do have is to say 'that sure is one heck of a beauty'!

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2016 at 10:34. Reason: Formatting
ridinthru' is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 20th November 2016, 20:18   #3
BHPian

That is a beauty with some sentimental value you got there! It is always nice to see cars being given the treatment they deserve. According to my knowledge, you have to re-register a car with the RTO if it is more than 15 years old. For this though the vehicle needs to be insured and I do not know of companies who offer the service. Once the insurance is dealt with, it should be pretty straightforward as you have all the documents.

Also, if I may make a request, I bet a lot of people here would love to see how the car documents looked back in the 1950's. Could you please post some pictures of them as well? Do not forget to blur out the personal or sensitive information though. Cheers!

Last edited by Meccanico : 20th November 2016 at 20:23. Reason: Adding a point
Meccanico is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 10:42   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful car, congrats on keeping it within the family! Please share more pics so that all of us can drool on them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp1988 View Post
Do such cars require re-registration or any further tax payment?

Also, since insurance is mandatory, do any of you know of insurance brokers in Pune/Mumbai (preferably Pune) who do old car insurance?
Please go through these two threads:

1 (Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India)

2 (Insurance for Vintage & Classic cars)

You should probably take the help of VCCCI or WIAA.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 10:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had two questions : Do such cars require re-registration or any further tax payment? Also, since insurance is mandatory, do any of you know of insurance brokers in Pune/Mumbai (preferably Pune) who do old car insurance?

Any help would be great, Thank you!
The documents do not need to be re registered they simply need to be updated. Do take care that you convince the RTO to update the details on the current book or atleast ask them to give the book back after the car details are updated in the computerized system. Or else you will loose your original registration document, which will be replaced by a computer printed piece of paper. You can pay a One time tax and green tax which is substantially less for a classic car once you submit a document/certificate for your car from VCCCI. you can contact them in Mumbai. Insurance will also only be third party which will be reasonable.

And yes the car look beautiful!

Last edited by the mole : 21st November 2016 at 11:01.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 20:20   #6

Hello,

Thank you all for the kind words, and for the advice. I will read through the two threads you posted and see if that is enough to proceed. Its nice to see the car being appreciated. Unfortunately, this week is quite busy for me, and I doubt I'll get good pics in the dark after I come back home from work. I will definitely click a bunch of pictures on Saturday morning and post them here.

On closer inspection though, the registration documents that I have seem to be copies made much later from the Kolhapur RTO. In lieu of those, I've attached a few pictures of the original bill for the car, and the original manual.

As an aside, I find the crisp phrasing in the bill ("One new DeSoto Diplomat...") quite funny!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat-bill01.jpg  

Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat-bill02.jpg  

Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat-manual.jpg  

Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat-manual01.jpg  

Our 1954 DeSoto Diplomat-manual02.jpg  

rbp1988 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 20:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
So finally done with most of the work on the family classic, our '54 Diplomat. This particular car was bought and registered by my grandfather in 1954
Congratulations on the beautiful restoration of a handsome car. Please could you post more pictures of the car plus the interiors, engine and dickey. Quite a compliment to your family for this single ownership across 3 generations.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 21:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations rbp1988 for getting the family's jewel back on the road. These have become quite rare nowadays. The later models of the Kingsways, Savoys and Diplomats are though with many owners.

As far as the documents are concerned GTO and The mole have clarified.

- The one time tax is already paid and need not be paid anymore.

- Check out the Green Tax dues at the Pune RTO where it is registered. It would be Rs 3000 plus fine wef October 15th 2010 till Oct 14th 2015. And subsequently wef 15th October 2015 till Oct 14th 2020 it will be again Rs 3000 plus fine. The fine is for the delayed payment that adds every month.

- The insurance (third party) is cc wise - this is a 2835 cc engine. So please check up with the insurance company. Some private insurers are offering a three year, one time payment that protects against the yearly increases wef 1st April every year.

- Next you will have to get the PUC certificate

- Next take the car to the RTO Office at Pune and get the fitness test done. They may charge some fines for the intervening years, when the car was not produced for fitness tests.

- Please get the VCCCI certificate and it waives a lot of such taxes.

I have personally driven my old cars and bikes for fitness and I have never faced any hassles. It needs about two to three hours at the Nagpur RTO to get the work done.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st November 2016 at 21:20.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote