Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 27th April 2008, 00:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Oho, and I thought Vcash had posted details about his under-restoration Benz!

Vcash, details and pics please & pronto!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 22:38   #47
BHPian

Hey Gents - Sorry for the delay in the update. Tinwork is complete and we are now working on the paint job. I am not being able to find DB350h within Standox so instead am using Dupont Centera(spelling?) - Paint dealer assures me there will be no difference. So here are pics - do let me know what you think. I know the floor board looks pretty rusty but the denter assures me it is nothing that needs to be cut and replaced. Any opinions on this?

Also the car is standing in a 'Desi Paint Booth / Heat Chamber'. Is this recommended and what special instructions should I give the painter? The fugly pink 800 was just painted in the booth.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0397.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0400.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0405.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0406.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0408.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0411.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0414.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0416.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0419.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0424.jpg  

Last edited by vcash : 28th April 2008 at 22:40.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 00:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Vikas - The spelling is "Centari". As for the work, my comments are below:

1. Day pics in sunlight would have been more appropriate.

2. Arches & Body panels look decent.

3. He seems to have used fiberglass on the bottom of the door sills (That combing pattern is due to that according to my understanding) can you confirm this with him?

4. Booth seems to be exactly what I told you it would be.

5. I would rework on that flooring if I were you. It doesn't look to be in a good condition & IMO if you open up a car once you should only put it back together after sorting out all the work otherwise she's going to give you much more trouble in the future.
Old 30th April 2008, 10:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Vikas - The spelling is "Centari". As for the work, my comments are below:

1. Day pics in sunlight would have been more appropriate.

2. Arches & Body panels look decent.

3. He seems to have used fiberglass on the bottom of the door sills (That combing pattern is due to that according to my understanding) can you confirm this with him?

4. Booth seems to be exactly what I told you it would be.

5. I would rework on that flooring if I were you. It doesn't look to be in a good condition & IMO if you open up a car once you should only put it back together after sorting out all the work otherwise she's going to give you much more trouble in the future.
Thanks irags!
1) The car was stuck between the 800 so I could not get him to roll out the car for sunlight pics that day. However, the following day, he did take the car out of the paint booth and the panels / arches all look fine.

2) No Fiberglass used. Thats just the excessive primer coagulated at the bottom. When he does sanding - it will become smooth.

3) Yup - have provided him some basic instructions on how to treat the car in the desi paint booth.

4) After your suggestion, he will remove the driver and front passenger side floor board and replace them. As you said - this is better in the long run.

5) Painting has now been pushed back by a week. Trying to see if I can get the standox brand. If not Centari with 5035 quality will have to work.

6) Gogi Bhai - Any luck on the replica MB Tex - I would like to go Beige if possible. Also can you send me pics of your roof lining - I need to have this fabricated.

7) Door rubbers are turning out to be a pain to source. Direct import is at over $1000. So the mechanic says he can use 'jugad' and use pieces from fiats / ambys etc. Might have to suffice in the short run.

Will keep you guys updated on the project. Looking at a May End completion date.

P.S. Funny story - When I was taking pictures for the forum. A few curious onlookers asked me "Insurance Ke Liye Photooo le rahein hain?" and someone chimed in "Bahoot Khatarnak Accident Hooa hoga"....

Last edited by vcash : 30th April 2008 at 10:31.
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:41   #50
BHPian

I am pleased to report that the bodywork and painting is 95% done. I say 95% because some touch up work is now being done on the paint, i.e. getting rid of bubbles / polishing the chrome parts and redoing a door due to waves. I have attached some pictures of the work in progress. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated!

Paint has been reverted back to the original DB350H - Medium Blue or Mittleblau. I got the exact shade match through Dupont Standox.

I need to focus my attention on the interior.

What I need to do now is get some high quality reference pictures for all 4 door panels / rear and front bench seats and rear parcel shelf so, I can make sure that the fabric patterns / handle / window placements match to the original. I am not going to change the roof head liner as there are no nicks or tears.

I would greatly appreciate if I W110 owners / archivers can send me the following information:

1) What would be the correct MB-Tex interior color for a car with Medium Blue Exterior. I would like to get beige - but I am not sure of the exact shade. Can someone put up a picture of their interior seat color so I can have the shade sourced.

2) Can someone put up pictures of all 4 doors interior side panels so I can get the fabric put on in the correct way with door / window trimmings.

3) Rear Parcel Shelf - This I think is felt, but again I am not sure of the color. Any suggestions?

4) Also does anyone have pictures of their front and rear bench seats? I would like to see the conturing and where the ribbed portion of the MB-Tex starts and ends.

P.S. One exterior question as well - Do you apply a clear coat on these standard non metallic paints? I am not sure if my painter did or should?

I will let the pictures do the talking:
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-hpim0775.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-hpim0777.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-hpim0778.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-hpim0779.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-hpim0782.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-hpim0783.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2008, 13:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

vcash - looks like there is a lot of potential in thay car - could you roll it out take a all-in-one pic, the frame by frame is difficult to see the complete beauty of the car.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
vcash - looks like there is a lot of potential in thay car - could you roll it out take a all-in-one pic, the frame by frame is difficult to see the complete beauty of the car.
Hi svsantosh! Think of this as a trailer leading up to the release! The car is not done yet so I do not want to take a full shot yet. Once the car is done inside and out, I promise everyone a spectacular photoshoot with some contrasting backgrounds.

If you want to see the car Pre-Restoration, please check the first page of this thread.

Thanks!
vcash
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

VCash, while i love the colour you've chosen, i personally feel the paint finish could be better, dunno if this is due to the pic quality or something, but from the first pic, i feel so.

Btw, here are some pix of the seat pattern. I think this is the original. The car is a 200D.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-image060.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-image077.jpg  

JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:28   #54
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Am sure you must be very excited nearing the completion of your restoration project. I personally feel that the original silver paintjob looked better. A white or black would have looked even better on the car.

Anyways its too early too early to comment on the paint job since there are some touchups and polishing left. Maybe we have to wait for vcash's spectacular photoshoot All the best vcash.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:34   #55
Team-BHP Support

I cant be of much help to you here, but I must say I really like the colour shade.

You could use V-16's and Speedy's car as a reference as well. Also do contact "the mole", he is an authority on Mercedes of the era.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
VCash, while i love the colour you've chosen, i personally feel the paint finish could be better, dunno if this is due to the pic quality or something, but from the first pic, i feel so.

Btw, here are some pix of the seat pattern. I think this is the original. The car is a 200D.
Thank you JayD for the pictures! This will work wery well while emulating. Can you take some close ups of the door panels? Also what would you call that color - Cognac? I would want to go a shade or two lighter.

The paint is the original standard non metallic Dupont Standox so it will never have a luster of modern day paints. Also, the car is not polished yet, so the finish looks a bit dull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Am sure you must be very excited nearing the completion of your restoration project. I personally feel that the original silver paintjob looked better. A white or black would have looked even better on the car.

Anyways its too early too early to comment on the paint job since there are some touchups and polishing left. Maybe we have to wait for vcash's spectacular photoshoot All the best vcash.
You bet I am excited! Though the earlier silver was more glamorous, it was incorrect for a car of this vintage. MB never had a bright silver in the 60's for this model. The car was white (cream) many moons ago and did not look that hot. So the decision was made too revert to the original. I actually like this shade - it's a bit quirkier and you don't get to see this shade on most mercs in India of that age.

Like you said, it's too early to comment because of the touchups and polishing that is needed. Let's see how it turns out.

And yup I am excited for the photo shoot. Enlisting the help of a friend who is a professional photographer and also reading this article:
Automotive Traveler - Car Photography for Dummies

Thinking of golf course / old abandoned steel mills and colonial houses as backdrops.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

VC, The colour u've chosen, DB 350, 'Medium blue' should have Blue cloth Upholstery. In this timeframe, Heckflossens had Grey, blue, beige and green interiors.
Havanna brown, beige,cream,medium red, red and ivory cars had beige interiors, whereas, the four Blues, ie, Blue, Mercedes blue, Medium blue and light blue came with blue interiors.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:33   #58
BHPian

JayD - I don't think that information is right. Cloth upholstery was never an option. I did some google research and came up with this - My car should have Light Grey MB-Tex.

I am not sure if I want to go light grey though! Had my heart set on a dark Tan since it would contrast rather well with exterior. decisions! decisions!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-interior-shade.gif  

Old 3rd July 2008, 15:14   #59
BHPian

Fantastic colour vcash, an absolute favourite of mine. IMO, the paint job looks very good (I can see "check putty" at few places, so it'll get a coat more atleast, I suppose?). People tend to do the 'glossy' bit in restoration, I feel, so this is cool. In fact, really period.

Regarding the interiors, I've seen black (very dark grey) and grey upholstery with this colour, although in a slightly later model (the later 110s and also in the first of the 115s, probably '67?). Tan would look nice, I feel so too, however, black also goes very well with it surprisingly as one wouldn't imagine so at first; light grey looks a little dull. That's just my point of view though; it's such a subjective matter after all.

Last edited by Prabal : 3rd July 2008 at 15:20.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
P.S. One exterior question as well - Do you apply a clear coat on these standard non metallic paints? I am not sure if my painter did or should?
You apply Clear coat on all paints Vikash. Irrespective or whether it is Metallic or Non-Metallic.