Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 00:02   #76
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Guys - Other than the parts request, I also have a mechanical query. Every time I deploy the brakes, I get a loud hissing sound. My mechanic says that the brake booster is shot and has taken air as the car was stationary for a very long time. He cannot repair it and needs a new one. Any expert opinions on this?
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 13:03   #77
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Vcash,

Nice to see your thread. Check the pics below.
Attached Images
  
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 19:38   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Guys - Other than the parts request, I also have a mechanical query. Every time I deploy the brakes, I get a loud hissing sound. My mechanic says that the brake booster is shot and has taken air as the car was stationary for a very long time. He cannot repair it and needs a new one. Any expert opinions on this?
vikash there's no such thing as bust, a servo leak can be taken care by servicing the internal rubber parts of the servo, matching sets should be available in delhi. I think V16 is the best guy to discuss the servo for this car. PM him.

But worst comes to worst till you find the original replacement you can replace this with a Sumo servo, its the same size and similar design, atleast your car will be running.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 00:13   #79
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Vcash,

Nice to see your thread. Check the pics below.
Very Nice. Cannot wait till you are done. What model is this? 190 or 220? And why is the transmission tunnel so pronounced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
vikash there's no such thing as bust, a servo leak can be taken care by servicing the internal rubber parts of the servo, matching sets should be available in delhi. I think V16 is the best guy to discuss the servo for this car. PM him.

But worst comes to worst till you find the original replacement you can replace this with a Sumo servo, its the same size and similar design, atleast your car will be running.
Thanks Amol - I will see if he can fix the servo leak. I will also reach out to V-16 on this. Can you also explain to me in 'mechanic language' how to fix the problem, so I can explain this better to the garage guys.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:47   #80
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Vcash,

This one is a 190D and a 1962.

Presently i've replaced the complete floor and the running boards as they were totally eaten up.

Could you post some pics on the dashboard and interiors.
Attached Images
  
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 18:45   #81
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Vcash,

This one is a 190D and a 1962.

Presently i've replaced the complete floor and the running boards as they were totally eaten up.

Could you post some pics on the dashboard and interiors.
I am travelling till Sunday, but once I am home, I will post the interior pictures.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 18:49   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

I remember an immaculate 190D in Hyderabad in powder blue with a gentleman on Road No : 11 Banjara Hills. It was a time wrap car with around 30 k on the clock, single owner.

To die for .
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 10:03   #83
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Vcash,

This one is a 190D and a 1962.

Presently i've replaced the complete floor and the running boards as they were totally eaten up.

Could you post some pics on the dashboard and interiors.
Here you go. A lot of the trimmings have been taken down as the interior work is getting completed.

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0892.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0896.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0897.jpg

And here are some pictures of the rear seats. I know that the MB-Tex and plain combo do not have exact color matches, but I liked this contrast based on the limited availibility of shades in MB-Tex.

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0882.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0886.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0889.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0891.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0883.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_0890.jpg

I have some things that I would like my seat guy to work on (as you can see in the pictures):
1) The MB-Tex Portion on the bottom rear is quite cushony. I would want it firmer.
2) Around the corners and curves, the 2 inch rolling is wrinkled and creased.
3) The material in itself seems a little loose fitting. I want it to be tighter.

Please let me know if you see anything else that can be addresssed.

And finally, I need to do an oil change. I was thinking Castrol GTX. Is it suitable for this car? Or would you recommend another brand.

Thanks!
vcash
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:42   #84
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hey Guys!
Restoration is nearing completion! Interiors are almost done save for some last minute fittings and getting things final! Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think - Any corrections or suggestions would be most appreciated since I have the seat guy for another day. Here are the pictures:

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1031.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1032.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1034.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1039.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1040.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1042.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1048.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1049.jpg

------

And as a sneak preview, here are some exterior shots! Just a few days worth of work left.

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1028.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1027.jpg

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1024.jpg

------
P.S. Forgot to add pictures of the Roof and Boot - Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1047.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1050.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1051.jpg  

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'-img_1052.jpg  


Last edited by vcash : 4th March 2009 at 10:48.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:52   #85
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Wow.

VCash, The car has come out well, could you let me know where to source the original indicators for them?

The upholstery color combo is just great, jelling neatly with the exterior paint shade.

Best of luck for your completion
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:12   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,627
Thanked: 8,099 Times
Default

Congratulations on nearing completion vcash, it looks good.

For your next project avoid the screws in the door panels, concealed clips look more clean and original.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 03:47   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Looks fantastic Vikash! The interiors look great but like Karloose Singh Fiatwallah said, concealed clips would look way better, maybe an idea for the 2011 job eh!

Need some detailed shots of the exterior or a personal judging session (air ticket/diesel for gabbar sponsored by you of course!) for a more definitive opinion on the exteriors!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 08:49   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Vcash, the car is looking great! Bit as the others have said, try to clean up the door screws, also, why don't you clean up the wiring et all under the dash? And i think the AC unit would be better if positioned in the center. Or is there something that obstructs the placement there??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 09:14   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IXE
Posts: 575
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

VCash, congratulation, the car is looking fantastic, the exterior paint and the interior is great combination.
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:40   #90
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Vcash, the car is looking great! Bit as the others have said, try to clean up the door screws, also, why don't you clean up the wiring et all under the dash? And i think the AC unit would be better if positioned in the center. Or is there something that obstructs the placement there??
Thanks! The AC unit cannot be placed in the center as it would interfere with the driver's right leg. Also the transmission tunnel is pretty high in the center, so it would be a bit of a tight squeeze. The wires will be cleaned up along with some other finishing touches - i.e. door beat / channel covers / roof lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Looks fantastic Vikash! The interiors look great but like Karloose Singh Fiatwallah said, concealed clips would look way better, maybe an idea for the 2011 job eh!

Need some detailed shots of the exterior or a personal judging session (air ticket/diesel for gabbar sponsored by you of course!) for a more definitive opinion on the exteriors!
Thanks Buddy! Your inviation to the 1st Annual Jharkhand Concourse' de Jhadi Jungle has been mailed along with Rs. 77.51. Please use this money to buy yourself one way ticket on the Coal Express Goods Train. I have apprised the station master at Tatanagar Jn. and he has requested that since you are a UP Bhaiya, you should not steal any coal and distribute it like mithai amongst your UPCMP (Uttar Pradesh Coal Mafia Phamily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations on nearing completion vcash, it looks good.

For your next project avoid the screws in the door panels, concealed clips look more clean and original.
Thanks Karl! I looked for beige plastic clips (Similar to the black and grey clips that you get for carpet mounting but cannot find the color or any that fit. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wow.

VCash, The car has come out well, could you let me know where to source the original indicators for them?

The upholstery color combo is just great, jelling neatly with the exterior paint shade.

Best of luck for your completion
Thanks! I already had a pair of fender indicator lights but one piece had completely cracked and V-16 came to the rescue and got me another pair from a donor car.

Alternatively, you can find similar shaped albeit larger size ones from truck part dealers who stock these for older Merc-Tata trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
VCash, congratulation, the car is looking fantastic, the exterior paint and the interior is great combination.
Thanks!
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics:My 1963 Fiat 1100 Cyrus43 Post-War 46 10th October 2015 17:30
1963 Ferrari 250 GTO reportedly sells for record $52 million darklord Beyond Borders 2 16th August 2014 09:58
1963 Ford Anglia 105E @ Kolkata john a milne Post-War 13 26th August 2013 10:30
1963 VW Beetle RandomUsername Post-War 28 12th July 2013 01:48
My 1963 Saab 96 4wdrifter Post-War 26 17th June 2009 15:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks