Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


View Poll Results: Which colour for the Fiat 1100/D Special?
Wine Red and White 34 25.56%
Blue and White 35 26.32%
Emerald Green and White 10 7.52%
Midnite Blue and White 54 40.60%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 13:38   #256
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,569
Thanked: 829 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Was the steering box mount/pillar cracked?
Theres no Power Steering on this one Mate. Never came in these models or even later, but I know of a Padmini with a Power Steering install
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 14:53   #257
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Theres no Power Steering on this one Mate. Never came in these models or even later, but I know of a Padmini with a Power Steering install
V-16, I think he was talking about the beam highlighted in the pic below. Its a common point in Fiats to crack, infact even my car has a cracked piece.




Your original car didnt have it cracked, but I remember the donor car having weld marks on that portion.



EDIT- Do tell us more about the power steering Padmini. Succesful?

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st August 2007 at 14:58.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 18:30   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,569
Thanked: 829 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Was the steering box mount/pillar cracked?
as Karlosdeville has pointed out, the original was not cracked but the Donor car was but that is fixed now

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Theres no Power Steering on this one Mate. Never came in these models or even later, but I know of a Padmini with a Power Steering install
Sorry 1100D its my mistake entirely. In my overzealousness I read it as power steering when you had mentioned only steering. Sorry mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
V-16, I think he was talking about the beam highlighted in the pic below. Its a common point in Fiats to crack, infact even my car has a cracked piece.


your original car didnt have it cracked, but I remember the donor car having weld marks on that portion.


EDIT- Do tell us more about the power steering Padmini. Succesful?
re the steering/Power steering, yes I did read it later, which I should have read earlier. Stupid me always in a hurry. Well the Power Steering install was done by Mid-Town Motors which used to be situated close to where the Atria Mall is now at Worli. The car (I drove it) was a Arctic White Premier Padmini Deluxe floor shift and had big fat tyres and rims. It also supported a four spoke steering wheel from a Honda Accord of the early eighties, having the horn buttons on all four spokes and which had a "Power Steering" emblem across the embossed "H" in the steering wheel. Since I used to get some of my cars worked on there, I hopped in for a trial when the mechanic was taking the car for a check trial and of course was given the trial on Worli sea face. I dont remember which car the unit was from tough i was told that the job was expensive back in those days.

Last edited by V-16 : 21st August 2007 at 18:43.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 19:21   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,818
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Hi

Slow but steady..by when do you feel the car would be ready to roll ? Have suddenly got very interested in Fiats since I recently saw the immaculately restored / modded Fiats here. What (if I amy ask) is the total expense of the restoration ??

Cheers & Looking forward to seeing the completed car.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 19:53   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,569
Thanked: 829 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hi

Slow but steady..by when do you feel the car would be ready to roll ? Have suddenly got very interested in Fiats since I recently saw the immaculately restored / modded Fiats here. What (if I amy ask) is the total expense of the restoration ??

Cheers & Looking forward to seeing the completed car.
Ricky, the car willtake about another month to complete. Am not posting day to day updates s it may get too monotonous. Ill be posting the completely sanded car. The upholstery and interior is done and is awaiting fitting but the car needs to be painted first. I am planning to get it for the Fiat Club Rally in Mumbai which is to be held on the 7th October. Have put all attention into the fiat for that. SO the work of my Merc is a bit slow. Regards the cost you know what they say "Jitna Gud Dalo, Utna Mitha Hoga" so all I can say is that its not cheap and well above what I bought the car for
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 23:46   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,119
Thanked: 2,196 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
"Jitna Gud Dalo, Utna Mitha Hoga"
Well sometimes not!! But I am sure you know this.

For example, the steering box mount issue. It cracks on most cars (especially newer units), usual solution is to weld at the crack. But then it cracks again, depending on how the car is used. Better solution is to replace that member, especially when you are carrying out a complete engine-off restoration.

Can we see some of the new floorboard pics, sir?

Then there is the A pillar/ Windscreen base weld which is another weak point in most cars.

(Is the front top cross member welded too?)

Last edited by 1100D : 21st August 2007 at 23:51.
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:59   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
Dippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 7,261
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Ricky, the car willtake about another month to complete. Am not posting day to day updates s it may get too monotonous. Ill be posting the completely sanded car. The upholstery and interior is done and is awaiting fitting but the car needs to be painted first. I am planning to get it for the Fiat Club Rally in Mumbai which is to be held on the 7th October. Have put all attention into the fiat for that. SO the work of my Merc is a bit slow. Regards the cost you know what they say "Jitna Gud Dalo, Utna Mitha Hoga" so all I can say is that its not cheap and well above what I bought the car for

And the navigator seat reserved in advance for me Gogi
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 15:38   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,569
Thanked: 829 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Well sometimes not!! But I am sure you know this.

For example, the steering box mount issue. It cracks on most cars (especially newer units), usual solution is to weld at the crack. But then it cracks again, depending on how the car is used. Better solution is to replace that member, especially when you are carrying out a complete engine-off restoration.

Can we see some of the new floorboard pics, sir?

Then there is the A pillar/ Windscreen base weld which is another weak point in most cars.
Quite right. Yes the only way is to change the member which has been done.
Ill post pics of the new floor board soon soon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
And the navigator seat reserved in advance for me Gogi
Done brother, President, please make a note of this. This is entry no:1
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 16:51   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,818
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

"Jitna Gud Dalo, Utna Mitha Hoga" so all I can say is that its not cheap and well above what I bought the car for[/quote]


Tell me about it.. that was the case with my lancer as well. The fiats are not that expensive anyways (atleast not in Delhi) So may I assume 1L including the cost of the car No problem - was jsut tried to get a handle on a number...

Thanks anyways

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 22:48   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
AMATMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore\GOA
Posts: 1,456
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
"Jitna Gud Dalo, Utna Mitha Hoga" so all I can say is that its not cheap and well above what I bought the car for

Tell me about it.. that was the case with my lancer as well. The fiats are not that expensive anyways (atleast not in Delhi) So may I assume 1L including the cost of the car No problem - was jsut tried to get a handle on a number...

Thanks anyways

Cheers[/quote]

oh.. considering the car to be rare and the owner being sentimentally attached to this vehicle i first expected it to cost more,when the thread started
anyway my knowledge is relatively limited

Last edited by AMATMO : 22nd August 2007 at 22:49.
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:28   #266
BHPian
 
President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FIATFUL Mumbai
Posts: 903
Thanked: 170 Times
Default

Dippy, you are most welcome for the mumbai Fiat club rally. And please get all your friends who are interested. The more the merrier. After all, its all for fun and there is nothing formal about this club. Like I said earlier.....it is the Fiat owners own club and any and everyone is welcome.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:48   #267
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,569
Thanked: 829 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
"Jitna Gud Dalo, Utna Mitha Hoga" so all I can say is that its not cheap and well above what I bought the car for

Tell me about it.. that was the case with my lancer as well. The fiats are not that expensive anyways (atleast not in Delhi) So may I assume 1L including the cost of the car No problem - was jsut tried to get a handle on a number...

Thanks anyways

Cheers[/quote]

Lets just say its a little above what you think!! ...and a little more than that.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 09:47   #268
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (MH-01)
Posts: 804
Thanked: 48 Times
Smile

It's almost close to six months now after the start of the project.

When are we going to see the finished product ?
salilpawar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 23:47   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,569
Thanked: 829 Times
Default

I'm itching to update with latest pics but they look almost the same. Well guys the sanding, etc all is done. The Steering and Gear box and engine are overhauled. The new suspension is in place and the car goes in for a spray of Wurth in between crevices and pillars and those odd places like on the roof before the top is fixed. Then it goes for the first coat of paint. The engine bay will be finished. Then it'll be fitted with the engine. gear box, and electricals. Minor scratches etc whilst doing the fittings will be taken care of and then off to the booth. I plan the Fiat to be ready in around another 10 days from now. It wont take time after the paintings finalyzed as the upholstery, top, carpets mattinmg etc are all complete and wiating. Ill make a long and detailed post when the car gets its first coat. Please bear with me. Thanks.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 23:56   #270
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 145 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I'm itching to update with latest pics but they look almost the same. Well guys the sanding, etc all is done. The Steering and Gear box and engine are overhauled. The new suspension is in place and the car goes in for a spray of Wurth in between crevices and pillars and those odd places like on the roof before the top is fixed. Then it goes for the first coat of paint. The engine bay will be finished. Then it'll be fitted with the engine. gear box, and electricals. Minor scratches etc whilst doing the fittings will be taken care of and then off to the booth. I plan the Fiat to be ready in around another 10 days from now. It wont take time after the paintings finalyzed as the upholstery, top, carpets mattinmg etc are all complete and wiating. Ill make a long and detailed post when the car gets its first coat. Please bear with me. Thanks.
waiting for it...it had better be ready for the rally
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1961 VW Beetle Restoration PAVAN KADAM Post-War 59 3rd June 2012 00:19
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project inderpalgill Post-War 295 30th March 2012 14:37
Italian Job : My Fiat 1100 D imperial.s.a Post-War 44 11th December 2009 00:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks