Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

View Poll Results: Which colour for the Fiat 1100/D Special?
Wine Red and White 34 25.56%
Blue and White 35 26.32%
Emerald Green and White 10 7.52%
Midnite Blue and White 54 40.60%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th June 2007, 14:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
great job, what are you planning to do for rust protection for the floor area? any dampening and protection layer planned?
A very strong anti rust treatment is going to be undertaken. We're meeting for that to make sure that the problems the fiat/padmini came with factory built More Please keep the suggestions coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Fiats were/are techically much better than the Padminis. i never knew that they came with air vents in the dash. i will get it done in my car next time she goes for a paint job. i guess the radials are pretty old as wel.. get them changed. S10's alloys will look nice in it. ask someone to a PS job and see how she looks.
The old ones did. I think im gonna maintain this one as stock except the freeflow exhaust. The old tyres will give way for new radials/ cross plys (with whitewalls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Finally, pics are here

AFAIK, the car has not been fitted the original 1100D special rims... so the original is still left with something to donate, contrary to your post.

How are u going to do with formalities such as chassis number (since the car has a different chassis now) and legal stuff like that?

I am a bit concerned about the flooring of the car (second last pic)..... I hope it turns out to be better finally....

Also, tell ur mechanic to be careful while putting on laambi and painting in the region of the body where the C-Pillar meets the boot... It is prone to rust in Padminis.

P.S. -- Is the super Padmini project in your plans? Something similar to what Ananthkamath described in the initial posts....
Ah yes the rims and aluminium drums are still to be swapped

I have a plan for the chassis number.

The flooring is yet not finished. The job was just done when i took the pics so the treatment etc are being tackled with. Ill post more progressive pics soon.

Thanks for the tips brothers.
Its people like all of you, whom i need suggestions from. keep the sugestions and tips coming. With all you guys helping me, im sure the project will turn up good
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 14:30   #107
Team-BHP Support

lookin good!

On my beetle for corrosion treatment i used a german product by wurth...(not sure of name)
It was expensive stuff, but i believe its OE for most german cars today including all the mercs and audis. I had it sprayed under the floorboards and inside my 4 mudguards as well...that will be followed by an overcoat of paint as the wheel wells are quite visible in a bug...
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 14:55   #108
Team-BHP Support

i just confirmed, I used Wurth undercoating stonechip primer...imported from europe.

it cost me 1800 a litre, i used 4 litres. There are different varieties, (read cheaper), mine can be painted over...others cant...i need this as the wheel wells are visible in mine...
Old 12th June 2007, 14:58   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

The Rear
r:

Im now waiting to hear from you guys!!

hey, i didnt notice the rear depression cut out below the fuel filler to take the shape of the extended bumper...nice touch!
Old 12th June 2007, 15:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
i just confirmed, I used Wurth undercoating stonechip primer...imported from europe.
Similar products are available in India also from Wurth only. And yes they are very helpful for underbody & under fender coats especially in Rust prone cars.

Had a chat with Gogi & he already has plans to have some coating done to prevernt Rust.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 15:30   #111
Team-BHP Support

wurth is a good brand and nothing like it if you can source it.

clean and ensure that all the oil, grime and rust are removed before the rust treatment is done. ideally sand it down. the impurity layer is the prime reason for any good rust protection to fail. once you do the primary rust protection treatment you can give dampening on the floor area, inside and outside and the mudguards. this will give double protection, good aesthetics and sound deadening. ensure drainage holes with rubber grometes are provided.

another thing is to ensure that there are no nook and corner where water will collect, using fillers to ensure proper slope for water to drain out, plugging holes that can let water seap inside the car, especially the area around the glass, front bonnet, engine firewall and the pedal area are properly secured using rubber gromet and also around the windshield

inside doors also ensure the holes for rain water drainage are up and running and protection layer given, ensure rubber beadings are generously used to insulate as well as to avoid water seepage.

use washers along with bolts and that too galvanized bolts, washers will help protect the area around the holes while tightening and good quality bolts and screws go a long way in withstanding the rusting process.

painting ensure atleast 2-3 coats are applied on the inside areas also as a final layer of protection, you can relay on good industrial grade paints that will withstand abuse for the same.

finally lot of care by washing and drying
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 18:00   #112

V-16,
Hats off man. Its very nice to see a project of restoration.i have a serious thought on buying a fiat and doing restoration.

Hope i do it soon.

Pls post pics on further as the car progresses. .

Good luck!!!
ulytel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 19:21   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
lookin good!

On my beetle for corrosion treatment i used a german product by wurth...(not sure of name)
It was expensive stuff, but i believe its OE for most german cars today including all the mercs and audis. I had it sprayed under the floorboards and inside my 4 mudguards as well...that will be followed by an overcoat of paint as the wheel wells are quite visible in a bug...
Ya Karl, Im sourcing the stuff but the cheaper one coz i dont need it painted over as one cant see the paint in a fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulytel View Post
V-16,
Hats off man. Its very nice to see a project of restoration.i have a serious thought on buying a fiat and doing restoration.

Hope i do it soon.

Pls post pics on further as the car progresses. .

Good luck!!!
Will do thanks. Hope your project starts fast and if you need any help, let me know.
Old 13th June 2007, 09:51   #114
Senior - BHPian

Very Interesting project. Some questions
- How much did you pay for the car?
- What is the budget for the restoration?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 12:10   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Great stuff V-16. You have got me glued to this thread

Please keep us updated pictorially :-)
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 13:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Very Interesting project. Some questions
- How much did you pay for the car?
- What is the budget for the restoration?
Some questions you never ask my friend?!
Lets just say my bank account is currently in "Drain" mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Great stuff V-16. You have got me glued to this thread

Please keep us updated pictorially :-)
Thanks Techno. Sure will. Keep on visiting this thread!!
Old 15th June 2007, 08:59   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Sirji, nice to see your updates.....
Although, call me picky if you will, I wish the original car could have been bodily salvaged rather than swap nearly the entire body......and yeah, although its too late to say this, I hope the replacement car you've chosen is a pre-90s fiat, as the later ones had really thin-sheeted bodies that made them prone to rust & had the strength of most of the modern tin-like cars!
One question though- is the bootlid from the original car or that of the 'new' bodyshell??
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 09:30   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

And yeah, forgot to ask- can anyone let me know where Wurth anti-rust is available in India? I think I saw one at a mech's garage but it looked like 'rubber paint' rather than the glossy 'chassis black' type.
Old 16th June 2007, 01:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sirji, nice to see your updates.....
Although, call me picky if you will, I wish the original car could have been bodily salvaged rather than swap nearly the entire body......and yeah, although its too late to say this, I hope the replacement car you've chosen is a pre-90s fiat, as the later ones had really thin-sheeted bodies that made them prone to rust & had the strength of most of the modern tin-like cars!
One question though- is the bootlid from the original car or that of the 'new' bodyshell??
I like your spirit man! Actually as you will see from my earlier pics, it was almost impossible to do something to the original car. There are still many panels from the original car in this one. Its like a body snatch. I think Ill call it Phoenix. The doors (at least the lower part), the front face and a lot of other body panels which were used, are from the original car. Yes I have been very picky about the replacement car as regards the sheet thickness.
Yes sir the boot-lid, is from the original car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And yeah, forgot to ask- can anyone let me know where Wurth anti-rust is available in India? I think I saw one at a mech's garage but it looked like 'rubber paint' rather than the glossy 'chassis black' type.
Wurth and its alikes are available in the Opera House area of Mumbai, which is a motor parts market.
Old 16th June 2007, 09:34   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the info. on Wurth (& your compliment on my spirit ).....will see if I can have someone pick it up there.....but if you live in a coastal area, I guess it serves the purpose better to brush-paint the stuff onto the underside (which'd make it thicker) rather than spray it?