Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 08:06   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: Once
Default 60's Mercedes in India?

Hi there,

I bought a 61 Mercedes 220S about a year ago- and it's currently in a workshop undergoing some TLC. I'm also changing the Matador engine (uuuugh) that the last owner put in and replacing it with a 240D diesel engine.
I'm keen to hear from other owners and understand where you guys pick up your parts from. BTW I'm based in Bangalore. Hope to hear from you folks.

BTW Are there any Mercedes Pagoda's in India?

Cheers
Boban
wilkie366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 17:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,729
Thanked: 89,226 Times
Default

Hi Boban

Maybe this thread would help you out : Linky
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Hi Boban

Interesting profile there - Welcome to TBHP and where's Molly?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 17:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Hello, welcome aboard. How about a real intro?

Who's Molly?

Yes, I've seen a couple being restored in Mumbai, and a red one being driven around in Bangalore.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 18:00   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Hi Boban welcome to the forum. Nice car you have there. Can we get some pictures?

Here is a 1967 Mercedes 200 Heckflosse - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-626.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Who's Molly?
Its about a cartoon in Malayalam - Boban and Molly.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 18:35   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Ah yes, of course. I should have remembered...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 21:51   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: Once
Smile Hello to all!

Hi folks

Thanks for the warm welcome and for extending the same to Molly as well:-). My car is undergoing some restoration at a workshop in B'lore- basically I'm getting the subframe mounts and suspension changed, replacing the matador engine with a Mercedes one, repainting and redoing the upholstery. The interiors were a bit tacky when I got the car and I never took a liking to the colour that the car came in- Moss green, not original. I'm tossing a coin between Mercedes Medium Red and Medium Blue. The better half votes for the blue and I'm for the red.

Well good to see an enthusiastic bunch of people out here and look forward to exchanging some tools and tips. Oh yes...I'll share the pics soon!

Cheers
Boban
wilkie366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 11:25   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

sounds great, do keep us posted on the restoration...

There are a handfull of pagoda tops in the country...I only know of 2 in bombay...

Cheers
Karl
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
autopsyche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hi, just thought ill add to your thread... have just started restoring a 1958 Mercedes Benz 190D (Ponton) for a friend of mine. The car was transported from punjab to my workshop in Delhi in a truck. The owner is a great enthusiast and wants the car to be in perfect condition. I guess since now i have posted about it, lets get the work started today heh!


Cheers,

Arush
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 06:01   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi Arush

that's great to hear! Where in Delhi is your workshop? I'm planning to visit Delhi in June, would be great to drop by and see your workshop.

Thanks
Boban
wilkie366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 18:02   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Dxb
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 60's Mercedes in India?

Dear Boban. I have a W110 , 62 model which i like to replace matador with a 240D engine. trying to transport an engine from abroad, not sure if I can get a good engine in.
gops1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 12:02   #12
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Hello to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie366 View Post
Hi folks

Thanks for the warm welcome and for extending the same to Molly as well:-). My car is undergoing some restoration at a workshop in B'lore- basically I'm getting the subframe mounts and suspension changed, replacing the matador engine with a Mercedes one, repainting and redoing the upholstery. The interiors were a bit tacky when I got the car and I never took a liking to the colour that the car came in- Moss green, not original. I'm tossing a coin between Mercedes Medium Red and Medium Blue. The better half votes for the blue and I'm for the red.

Well good to see an enthusiastic bunch of people out here and look forward to exchanging some tools and tips. Oh yes...I'll share the pics soon!

Cheers
Boban
Good to hear about another merc being restored,i think blue will be a good choice,unless you have a damn good denter/tinker person and you body lines are perfect,also why dont you try to search what was the original shade of the car,may be the vin number can help,
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 18:45   #13
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Hello to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Good to hear about another merc being restored,i think blue will be a good choice,unless you have a damn good denter/tinker person and you body lines are perfect,also why dont you try to search what was the original shade of the car,may be the vin number can help,
What happened to the updates on this car? It stopped nearly 4 years back. If the owner is still around I can help with parts sourcing. I am also restoring a 1961 220S but with original engine, and sourcing most parts from India.

Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 14:17   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Hello to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
What happened to the updates on this car? It stopped nearly 4 years back. If the owner is still around I can help with parts sourcing. I am also restoring a 1961 220S but with original engine, and sourcing most parts from India.

Prithvi
@mbz180, can you please share the details of the workshop in Bangalore to service used Mercs as you have mentioned in one of the Vintage Cars thread
floyd.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Truth about Mercedes India, according to Cama Motors (Ex-Mercedes Dealer) kippu The Indian Car Scene 54 18th March 2013 15:05
Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Returns with the 2011 Mercedes SLS AMG Pg2 Official pics hanmust The International Automotive Scene 56 27th October 2010 18:44
New W212 Mercedes E Class and upcoming models from Mercedes India - Full details sidindica The Indian Car Scene 12 25th September 2009 15:05
My problems with the Mercedes C180. And Mercedes Benz India. GTO The Indian Car Scene 133 17th May 2005 13:09
Mercedes CL  vs  Mercedes SL Stratos The International Automotive Scene 14 27th November 2004 11:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks