Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 23:07   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

I used to drive a premier president (1100 Delight?) (owned by my Grandfather) and I missed a golden oppportunity to buy it from him before he decided to sell it! Thinking about that makes me worried still.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 23:09   #107
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,081 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Karl mentioned, the black ashtray cover was specific to the President. It was an improvement over the chromed one on the Delight, and meant to cut the glare reflecting from the chromed ones !!
Actually the later Delights too had this feature.

I was told this fact by one of the seniors in the club, when I asked him about the chrome ashtray but black lid on our 61 1100 Export. A similar unit is pictured here.

My 1973 (FIAT 1100) Premier President-rony18.jpg

The lid was powdercoated matt black to cut out the glare. The Indian cars however had the whole thing coated in black, and rather poorly at that. They surprisingly rust pretty quickly. A mint example is pictured here in a 71 Delight.

My 1973 (FIAT 1100) Premier President-03.jpg
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 00:02   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Wow Karl, the speedometer on the 1100 export reads 20-40-60-80-100 mph instead of 30-50-70-90 mph on the Indian selects. That's unique, I've seen a similar speedo in Irfan Moghal's imported fiat, which graced the VCCCI Mumbai rally in 2007.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 01:16   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Karl, the speedometer on the 1100 export reads 20-40-60-80-100 mph instead of 30-50-70-90 mph on the Indian selects. That's unique, I've seen a similar speedo in Irfan Moghal's imported fiat, which graced the VCCCI Mumbai rally in 2007.
It could be due to the larger 1221cc engine i think.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 02:11   #110
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Karl, the speedometer on the 1100 export reads 20-40-60-80-100 mph instead of 30-50-70-90 mph on the Indian selects. That's unique, I've seen a similar speedo in Irfan Moghal's imported fiat, which graced the VCCCI Mumbai rally in 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
It could be due to the larger 1221cc engine i think.
Ravi, it is not MPH. My Left Hand Drive has the Same one.

Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 05:24   #111
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,165
Thanked: 144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Karl mentioned, the black ashtray cover was specific to the President. It was an improvement over the chromed one on the Delight, and meant to cut the glare reflecting from the chromed ones !!
May I beg to differ on the black ashtray cover.

Unsure about 1964, but I know for a fact that our 1968 Fiat 1100D had an OEM black ashtray cover all its life (from 1968 onwards).

One cannot put a specific year on the black ashtray cover, because it stayed unchanged in models over decades! My 1995 Padmini S1 has it too (original from the factory).

In fact, I would hazard a claim that chrome ashtray covers never came on any 1100D at all. They were only black!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 10:36   #112
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,081 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
May I beg to differ on the black ashtray cover.

Unsure about 1964, but I know for a fact that our 1968 Fiat 1100D had an OEM black ashtray cover all its life (from 1968 onwards).

One cannot put a specific year on the black ashtray cover, because it stayed unchanged in models over decades! My 1995 Padmini S1 has it too (original from the factory).

In fact, I would hazard a claim that chrome ashtray covers never came on any 1100D at all. They were only black!
Thats right Ram, as I said later Delights too had the black ash tray. See my quoted post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Actually the later Delights too had this feature.
The black ashtray was introduced circa 66-67, as I have seen 65 Delights with a chrome ashtray.

My 1973 (FIAT 1100) Premier President-04.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Karl, the speedometer on the 1100 export reads 20-40-60-80-100 mph instead of 30-50-70-90 mph on the Indian selects. That's unique, I've seen a similar speedo in Irfan Moghal's imported fiat, which graced the VCCCI Mumbai rally in 2007.
Actually this is a picture of Ronys/Irfans 1100D itself. The picture was representational for the ashtray only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ravi, it is not MPH. My Left Hand Drive has the Same one.
Cyrus, it is definitely in MPH, not KPH. We are not referring to your vehicle.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:21   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,332
Thanked: 1,543 Times
Default

Reg. ashtrays, my '67 delight had a full black one when I bought it- but somehow I wasnt convinced it was an original one so I replaced it with a chrome one.

So ravi, is the President still around?? None keen on picking her up yet? :(

And yeah, as karl said, the grey LHD shown here with the MPH speedo is indeed the very same one owned by Irfan mogul- then owned by President Rony! and grey in colour.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st August 2008 at 14:24.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:42   #114
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,081 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Reg. ashtrays, my '67 delight had a full black one when I bought it- but somehow I wasnt convinced it was an original one so I replaced it with a chrome one.

The black one would certainly have been original. I hope you have hung onto it.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 21:44   #115
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,332
Thanked: 1,543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The black one would certainly have been original. I hope you have hung onto it.
Well, I chucked it away somewhere in my store room, alongwith my other (uncountable?) spare parts.....hehe!

But in any case I dont quite like the idea of a whole black ashtray. Maybe I'll take just the lid and fit it into a chrome-bordered ashtray so it'll resemble the italian delights'.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:59   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

this is the 1st time i really liked a Delight. because every fiat here in kolkata is damaged/unoriginal & not roadworthy. this one is counting its last days so i'm not blurring the no.it has every thing in it, the badges, the meters except the headlights. looks pretty neat. a good resto will make her look good.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by amit V8 : 12th September 2008 at 21:01.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 22:30   #117
BHPian
 
adheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 526
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Is there any chance you can pick the car up ?? Or else atleast the bumpers and monograms ??
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 22:44   #118
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,332
Thanked: 1,543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
this is the 1st time i really liked a Delight. because every fiat here in kolkata is damaged/unoriginal & not roadworthy. this one is counting its last days so i'm not blurring the no.it has every thing in it, the badges, the meters except the headlights. looks pretty neat. a good resto will make her look good.
'looks very much salvageable. Why dont you try and pick it up, rather than leave it counting its last days? Does it not have papers etc.??

If not do see if you can get me the hubcaps

I'm guessing this is a '67 fiat, like mine as it haas the longer rear bumper but aluminium grille as per later delights, plus hubcaps that look early type but in aluminium.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 01:46   #119
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

I need one of these!! And i need one of the Millicentos!! Amit, Bumpers, Grille, Wheels and Hubcaps for TeamBHP please!! Also, Get some interior pictures..
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 12:27   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

@amit - where is the car located? if the owner doesn't mind i will pick up a few stuff off the car.

the lane somehow looks familiar - lane between shakespeare sarani and park street?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 13th September 2008 at 12:29.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread adheesh Post-War 1617 13th November 2017 16:40
Fiat 1100 / Premier Padmini - Parts to Stock for FUTURE! arun1100 Post-War 343 11th May 2017 16:57
Modded Premier Padminis (Fiat 1100) salilpawar1 Modifications & Accessories 444 21st February 2017 14:36
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D) Ram The Indian Car Scene 391 1st February 2016 07:42
Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President arun1100 Post-War 49 21st January 2015 19:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks