The car is looking great bro
cannot wait to see it finished the car looks good so far

Just love old mercs

BTW why is one headlamp covered
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 22:28   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to see the work resumed gogi!

But uh, why have the bumpers and lights been left on? Atleast the former could be taken off?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 03:09   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Smart move to install power steering, a world of a difference it makes too. My dad used to have the 1970 230, the 6 cylinder twin carb model and it was a lovely car.
I have some original maps, service centre booklets and dealer network maps/booklets that were supplied new with the car. I have no use for them and if you are interested I can arrange to be sent to you.
As for the Strombergs being a pig to tune the only advice which I can pass on to you is make sure they are not overfilled, too many are tempted to overfill them, and this will always give you a flatspot while acclerating.
Weber are offering a conversion, though I do not know how well they work.
Best of luck.
Thanks Alvis. I would love to have them. Will pm you and discuss this. Thanks for offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hi Gogi Bhai - The restoration progress looks great so far. If you are placing an order for Tan MBTex, could you please include another set of upholstery sheets for me - I am going to put tan in my W110 as well. Also, could you provide more details on the power steering retro fit? I may be interested in doing this as well. As always thanks for your support and guidance.

Best,
vcash
Buddy Im getting it locally not ordering it from anywhere. If you are looking for the same thing then ill look for two sets, no sweat.
I wonder if a 115 power steering will fit on the 110 and then again, i wonder why not. Ill check the finer details and let you know. I will be posting the pics of the entire retrofit process so as to help anyone else taking the same route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Great to see the work resumed gogi!

But uh, why have the bumpers and lights been left on? Atleast the former could be taken off?
These were left on before the final sanding takes place. This is always the way I check my car's line and level after any body work. the side strips/pattis, grille, lamps arc are all fitted and then the check is done. If any panels have to be altered then they are done by marking at this stage. One would not want to find out after painting, that the left and right lights are not in proper conjunction. followed the same process for the Fiat 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
The car is looking great bro
cannot wait to see it finished the car looks good so far

Just love old mercs

BTW why is one headlamp covered
I guess the guy wanted to show the car to me for a final check and I was outta town. In those 3 days to carry on the work he covered the lights to spray red oxide on the body.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 02:52   #184
Senior - BHPian

LAst evening i visited the garage. I had on my last visit expressed that i was not satisfied with his attention to detail. Being the through professional that he is he agreed immediately and we soent about a hour in his office discussing what was wrong. Immediately the four doors were ordered to be redone in certain parts. When I left, work had already started. I took a chalk (which i move around with when visiting garages that my cars are being worked upon, as this is the easiest way of marking any surface to point out irregularities) and made marks in the areas I felt dissatisfied. I will visit again tomorrow and now post pics as he has said that the work is now complete. Things are getting hectic as three cars require my attention simultaneously, this 115, the 116 and my trusty Swift.
Lets see what tomorrow or rather today had in hold.
Signing off for tonite.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:01   #185
Senior - BHPian

The work is going on but priority is being given to the Jeep.
Of recent I have noticed that most of the W114/5s I get to see are mostly Green or White. I had thought of doing her up in Black with Tan interiors but i find that this particular colour also looks just great.
Im seriously thinking of painter her in this shade with off white interiors. In this way, my car stands out in a sea of Black or White cars as it has a colour shade not really seen in Indian roads so commonly.
Comments?

This is the colour I have in mind.

Name:  WD8604d.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  57.7 KB
Name:  115 rear.jpg
Views: 5051
Size:  57.0 KB

Off white seats to match the Green shade

Name:  115 interior.jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  35.9 KB
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:55   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Im seriously thinking of painter her in this shade with off white interiors. In this way, my car stands out in a sea of Black or White cars as it has a colour shade not really seen in Indian roads so commonly. Comments? This is the colour I have in mind.
Attachment 45149
Attachment 45150
Off white seats to match the Green shade
Attachment 45151

Lovely colour Gogi, one of my favourites on the Merc Compacts. A family friend had one when we were quite young and I always wanted it over in our garage (although I liked our midnight blue very much too - probably more, since I have a weakness for everything blue, no don't mention celluloid now)! You have to get this shade of green absolutely spot-on though. Would be lovely, and as you said, would stand apart amidst the plethora of blacks n whites!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:16   #187
Senior - BHPian

GoGii!!! That colour is just Beautiful, This is the colour I had in mind if i ever restored a compact!! I'm planning on a similar colour for my landmaster.

Btw, These are the exactly the same set of pix(posted by you earlier) that made me such a huge fan of 115s.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 16:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

The tinwork is finally over. Just a few things need to be straightened out (literally) and mended but that's ok. The corroded tin has been removed and replaced. The car looks like this now and work is going on full on. A coat of ruber had gone in and below. Finally it wil be given the Wurth treatment just before it goes into the paint booth.

The engine is being looked at as i type. There was nothing wrong with the engine but im still going on with the compression testing etc just to make sure the car runs like a dream...something i hope it will look too. Some parts will be replaced with new and the Valve cover will be buffed to give the old Aluminium a new look.

Name:  DSC05730 Medium.JPG
Views: 2310
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  DSC05731 Medium.JPG
Views: 2322
Size:  74.5 KB
Name:  DSC05732 Medium.JPG
Views: 2264
Size:  73.1 KB
Name:  DSC05733 Medium.JPG
Views: 2209
Size:  91.8 KB
Name:  DSC05739 Medium.JPG
Views: 2167
Size:  88.6 KB
Name:  DSC05740 Medium.JPG
Views: 2190
Size:  87.5 KB

Comments Gurus!!
Old 29th October 2008, 16:39   #189
BANNED

I see your Dukkar still lying smug in the corner. First Shyams posts and now this...I love the 115..probably my favourite merc Sedan of all time.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 17:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Gogi hows the 115 work going on? Long time no updates here?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 19:42   #191
Senior - BHPian

Update time:
MAny people ask me why my restorations take time. My answer to them is, I am a hands on kinda guy. I like to be there when certain jobs are being done, especially when something is being dismantled or put back. Half the time im not available when the garage guy wants to do it, so according to my instructions, he will not touch it. That part makes me a pain in the rear to work with but then i compensate in not being rude, treating them with utmost respect and politeness. Theres where i score and the guy does not mind me coming back.

Seriously its true. Due to my involvement in the restoration process, i also find a lot of flaws in the process and will want them to rework the stuff again, no matter how much time it takes. I generally supply them with printed pictures from my archives as to how and what the turn out should be. They find this very unique and a very nice method of doing something. Theres no ambiguity in this process.

There were some issues in the patchwork that was done and they were reworked so now this is where it stand today.

Most of the body work is over. No it finally is. I thought that it was over the last time but on my second visit during the sanding, some irregularities were noticed which are now rectified.

1972 Mercedes 220-11022009831.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009832.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009836.jpg

As the suspension and brakes is being restored and reworked upon, i have procured the necessary parts which i will hand over to him tomorrow in a day or two. In the meanwhile he is working on the engine.

1972 Mercedes 220-11022009833.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009834.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009839.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009840.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009835.jpg

The flooring as you can see, is already applied with a coat of Wurth.

1972 Mercedes 220-11022009837.jpg
1972 Mercedes 220-11022009838.jpg

The A/C guy is working on the a/c and the system and the meters are with my meter restoration guy who makes sure they all gauges work fine.

More on the suspension restoration soon.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:35   #192
Senior - BHPian

Good to see progress Gogi. I am really keen to see this car back on the road again. With the colour choice you made, it will stand out from everything else. How much longer do you think?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 23:48   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Good to see progress Gogi. I am really keen to see this car back on the road again. With the colour choice you made, it will stand out from everything else. How much longer do you think?
Thanks man. It will take around a month or so more.

These are the more recent pics.

1972 Mercedes 220-18022009861-large.jpg

1972 Mercedes 220-18022009862-large.jpg

The colour has to be a few shades lighter yet. This green shade is just a sample.

The suspension and the subframe along with the chassis gets a black coat.

I just burnt a hole in my pocket getting the following brand new parts for the car:

Shock absorbers
Upper ball joints
Idle arm bush kit
Tie rod ends
Steering shock
Coil spring pads
Balance rod bush kit
Front and rear calliper kits
Front and rear brake pads
Clutch kit
Universal joint coupling
Front and rear brake hoses
slave cylinder
Clutch master cylinder
Brake master cylinder
All wheel bearings
Rear sub frame mounting (had already purchased the front mountings earlier)
Axel boot kit
Gear lever rubber bush
Gear lever nylon bush.

Boy!! Dont even begin to ask how much all this cost, the silver lining is that i was able to find all this brand new from different places.

Now every day that i visit the garage, there seems to be some progress. That is good. Maybe by the time i return from Delhi (25th) most of this will be in place. Have instructed him to do the brakes and the callipers last. Dont want any putty going into the new parts while sanding.

I know what an empty pocket feels like!!
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:00   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, gogs! I can say that your car IS going to come out nice!

BTW, have the suspension/sub-frame been coated in zinc primer, going by the colour?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:45   #195
Senior - BHPian

cmon way to go buddy, i can already tell that the leaf green shade is going to make the car look period and sensational, I wish I had not sold our 115 sob or atleast i had bought the sada hua one that we had gone to see (remember!!).

Last edited by the mole : 22nd February 2009 at 11:46.
the mole is online now   Reply With Quote