Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:18   #196
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Hi..info needed

Hello BBC members..I've come across a 1961 VW Beetle Rag top..i was hoping if you could throw more light on it..I haven't seen any ragtop's earlier an di'm looking for some information on them.

Thanks & Regards,
FJHustler
FJhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:44   #197
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,627
Thanked: 8,081 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It has a recent Coorg KA12 reg but in a California plate frame (could be added). Be totally original, I do not understand why this would have been added except for past nostalgia
It is possible that she is an import, though equally possible that the frame was a recent addition. Bug accessories are a big business, this car has so many of them and looks so fresh, it could be a recent restoration with a lot of parts imported. Do try and sniff out some more details.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:33   #198
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhustler View Post
Hello BBC members..I've come across a 1961 VW Beetle Rag top..i was hoping if you could throw more light on it..I haven't seen any ragtop's earlier an di'm looking for some information on them.

Thanks & Regards,
FJHustler
Hi,

Check this pic, This is a 1962 ragtop from Bangalore,

The other red ragtop was restored by Vinay-Bangalore. Thats a marvelous piece. Heard its been sold to a top collector for an astronomous price.
Attached Images
 
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 00:50   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hi Pavan..thanks a lot for the pic..it's a similar one i'm talking about..it is a model 113 - VW Sedan de Luxe.

Will try and get a pic tomorrow...Are rag tops common in India??
FJhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 16:25   #200
BHPian
 
(IVI)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: Once
Default

the red convertible was sold for 21 lacs, but an amazing machine..well worth the money!!
(IVI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 17:07   #201
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (IVI) View Post
the red convertible was sold for 21 lacs, but an amazing machine..well worth the money!!

Guru Chakramji,

Surprised to see you active after a decade.

Agree with you on the red convertible. Was a marvelous piece, and spotless too.

Lucky guy who got hold of it.cheers:
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 21:00   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

The Ragtops are not a very common sight in India FJhustler.
Here is a picture of my 1962 beetle ragtop.

speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 21:17   #203
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

21 lacs???sure you got the figure right ??mebe a dot missing somewhere?? i have see the car, its great and well restored, though im not too convinced about the value.Anyways its between the seller and buyer and really none of our business so to say.

Last edited by brat001 : 24th September 2008 at 21:36.
brat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 19:32   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 326
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Speedy,
Can u post the first 3 digits of the VIN. The reason I'm curious is you car (nice one btw) has the large side windows and larger front windshield (compare with the yellow blore care) which in my recollection came in the late 60s. The thin side chrome is 68-on.

Byas


Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The Ragtops are not a very common sight in India FJhustler.
Here is a picture of my 1962 beetle ragtop.

71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 10:08   #205
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,627
Thanked: 8,081 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Speedy,
Can u post the first 3 digits of the VIN. The reason I'm curious is you car (nice one btw) has the large side windows and larger front windshield (compare with the yellow blore care) which in my recollection came in the late 60s. The thin side chrome is 68-on.

Byas
It is indeed not a 62, Speedy and me have discussed this before as well. I forget the outcome though
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 14:54   #206
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It is indeed not a 62, Speedy and me have discussed this before as well. I forget the outcome though
That car in the pic which you guys are discussing is certianly not the original ragtop.

1962 (1 Aug 61 to 31 July 62)
Chassis 4,010,995 - 4,846,835
Engine 3,924,023 - 3,924,914
Engine 5,958,948 - 6,935,203
Fuel gauge replaces reserve tap.
Tail light ‘glass' now plastic.
Spring balance to front hood.
Sliding covers on heater outlets.
Progressive valve springs.
Anchor points for seat belts.
Stronger clutch springs.
Windshield washer uses spare tire for air pressure.
Last year of semaphores on domestic models.
1200 cc engine 40 bhp.

Look at the 5 lug wheels, big windows,. all ragtops came with semaphores and smaller windows.

That Beetle is sure a 1966 Beetle with some additions on the roof, though done in nice taste.

Also note the leatherette starts right at the back of the car, which is not the case with the actual ragtop.

But must appreciate, that car is really neat.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 30th September 2008 at 14:59.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 16:21   #207
BHPian
 
(IVI)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
21 lacs???sure you got the figure right ??mebe a dot missing somewhere?? i have see the car, its great and well restored, though im not too convinced about the value.Anyways its between the seller and buyer and really none of our business so to say.
when crap cars are selling for hefty prices by the dealers / cons, who is to determine the price
(IVI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 00:33   #208
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (IVI) View Post
when crap cars are selling for hefty prices by the dealers / cons, who is to determine the price
,
Well said. Need we say further.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:21   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bendakaalooru
Posts: 126
Thanked: Once
Default

why is somebody getting so miffed about the price being 21 lakhs........i don't understand.
Naren4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:36   #210
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
why is somebody getting so miffed about the price being 21 lakhs........i don't understand.

A nice car deserves a price. And to say, that Car was a masterpiece.

Have you had a look at that Convertible Naren. I could say it had just rolled out of the Factory assembly line.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Club NM - Supercar Club from Delhi A.K Super-Cars & Imports in India 10 24th August 2015 08:21
Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune karlosdeville Post-War 27 12th October 2013 13:43
1967 Volkswagen Beetle-Build your own paper beetle Naren4140 Shifting gears 4 5th December 2009 05:16
BBC Top Gear survey 2005 sbasak The Indian Car Scene 2 14th November 2005 17:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks