Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 6th November 2007, 15:33   #1
BHPian

Default Triumph Herald 1200 (Estate)

Hi,

I'm Sumeet and based out of New Delhi. I'm a proud owner of Triumph Herald 1200 (Estate Model) which we had bought when we were in London and brought it to India on the Transfer back.

I need to get an advice on that, currently we do not have seat belts installed in this car and I'm really worried whenever we drive the car on the roads that if the cops would object and give us a Penalty Ticket. I have heard that it is not neccessary to have seat belts on a Classic/ Vinatge car.

Is my understanding correct? Please advice, if I should get these belts installed, as I would not want to spoil the originality of the car.

Thanks and Regards,
Sumeet Sud
Sumeet_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 18:25   #2

Hi Sumeet,

Altho I'm a noob myself having joined just a few days back, welcome to a wonderful forum.

I have a question that I hope you can answer:

When did you bring the Triumph to India? Was it recently? As I understand the rules, cars older than 3 years may not be imported. If I am wrong, that would be good for me indeed as I will be transferring back to India in the next few weeks.

Thanks

Last edited by Bugatti Veyron : 6th November 2007 at 18:26.
Bugatti Veyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 20:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome, fellow vintage-er.
Aah! Its ur blue Triumph estate thats so pristine.
We have pics on the forum already.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 20:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sumeet - That's a real pristine car you have there! As for the seatbelt rule IIRC, this rule is applicable to vehicles of April '97 & onwards only (since the rule making it mandatory for cars to be sold with front seatbelts was enforced at that time) & since your's is an old car this shouldn't be a problem but you might have to argue with the thullas once in a while about it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

hello Mr Sumeet, it is very nice to see you on the forum. i had met you at your place along with Farhan. hope you do remember.
the car does not need to loose its originality in any form. like pointed out by ishan the cars manufactured after 1997 do need to have seatbelts. the vintage and classic cars are exempt from this law.
this is Mr Sumeets car. the best example of a triumph herald that i have seen. the car is maintained and loved by Mr Sumeet himself.

Last edited by speedy : 6th November 2007 at 21:25.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 21:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

The best example Ive seen ever...period! How long back did you bring it down? Do tell us more about it.

I doubt seat belts are mandatory for your vehicle, though you can get a very neat set of period looking belts fitted. Equire with one of the many Triumph clubs in the UK or US.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 22:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A big hello & welcome to you Sumeet!
Glad to have another Herald enthusiast on board, that too possibly the only known Triumph (not Standard) Herald owner?
As some of the others have stated your car has already been featured once in this forum...
Still since Triumph & Standard are but separated siblings your welcome to participate in the 'Standard cars in India' thread....
And would jus like to let you know- I happen to be a complimentary member of the Triumph Sports Six club, UK, who also, as Karl said supply certain original spares & accessories for Triumphs so if you think it mandatory to fit seatbelts you can try buying them from the TSSC or other triumph spares dealers like canleyclassics.com, rarebits4classics.co.uk to name a few....!
I'd also like to feature your Triumph Herald for an article in the club magazine (have done quite a few on Indian Heralds so far) for next month if you could send me any detailed info. before the 10th of this month.
But I would not advise you to go for the cheapo local 'naam-ke-vaasthe' belts that dont really serve the purpose as original ones do, and if as iraghava mentioned about seatbelt rules is true then you neednt bother fitting any at all!
Btw, many thanks for that info. Ishaan! Thats a real relief for me as I hated the idea of fitting belts on my (old of course) cars!
I wonder how inspite of this people are fitting seatbelts on even older cars!
Does the IIRC have any website or something where we could quote evidence if/wehn the situation arises??
Stanher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 23:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Btw, many thanks for that info. Ishaan! Thats a real relief for me as I hated the idea of fitting belts on my (old of course) cars!
I wonder how inspite of this people are fitting seatbelts on even older cars!
Does the IIRC have any website or something where we could quote evidence if/wehn the situation arises??
Stan - I know of this because it was in Apr '97 that Govt. of India made fitment of seat belts mandatory on the front seats on all cars sold in India. My Zen (Oct '97) was my first car fitted with seat belts from the factory. Will try & see of I can find you some sources to backup this info.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 00:18   #9
BHPian

That's beautiful,stunning.congrat man.please do tell us more about that and post some pics.
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 05:47   #10
BHPian

Welcome Sumeet.The car is beautiful with a nice royal colour too.Which year this got manufactured?
stampro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 07:10   #11
BHPian

Default triumph herald at chennai

I am sure stanher knows about this already!

There is a photo on a red triumph herald seen at chennai 2007 vintage rally and it is a "left hand drive"

The link is given here :
Vintage Car Rally, Chennai - July 2007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
stampro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 10:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
I am sure stanher knows about this already!

There is a photo on a red triumph herald seen at chennai 2007 vintage rally and it is a "left hand drive"

The link is given here :
Vintage Car Rally, Chennai - July 2007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hi stampro,
Yes I do know this car (you can see my comment below the pic. in that page ) but I dont know if it was red earlier...
Stanher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 11:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Here is another pic from the same event posted previously on the forum. Seems immacualte! There were quite a few Triumph Heralds imported to India, infact I knew of at least 3 in Pune itself, but this is the first Left hand drive im seeing.

Old 11th November 2007, 13:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
but this is the first Left hand drive im seeing.
same for me too. have not seen a LHD one till now. the car looks immaculate i agree. there were a few triumph heralds around but all RHD's. dont know where they all went? maybe the scrapper or junked and rotting away somewhere now.

@stampro the triumph herald looks like it has the bumpers painted white. is it just me or is it the reflection in the sun .
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 14:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
@stampro the triumph herald looks like it has the bumpers painted white. is it just me or is it the reflection in the sun .
Home market cars were fitted with a plastic (?) bumper capping like these pictured below.

An accessory chrome bumper cover was also available in the UK marketed as Cosmic. In India, Vidyut Motors supplied a slimmer one piece version as show below on this immacualte single owner Herald sold last year.