Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2008, 20:14   #286
BANNED

As of now, I'm keeping an eye open for a good AC compressor of a W123 or so. Somebody who has better knowledge in these things told me that would be great in this car. Would be great if it can be fitted as explained by Gogi, na?

So, we have 4musketeers to get her home! Wow!!
Old 7th July 2008, 07:35   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Well, as the Old Man(R) of the forum he's entitled to do so and quite frankly I wont be complaining - I will get Power Steering and Airconditioning
Santosh, my car doesn't have power steering. Why do you think I don't bother about my exercise?
Old 7th July 2008, 10:32   #288
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Great effort... Best of Luck.

Steeroid,

What a great effort... been following thread for some time.. could'n't help posting with the excitement mounting.

Wish you all the best...

--Ramky
===============
Old 7th July 2008, 12:58   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
So, we have 4musketeers to get her home! Wow!!
Make it 4 1/2. The 1/2 Musketeer from DXB who is currently in COK badly wants to join the drive to bring his grandfather's car home. I have to figure out a way of getting him to Bangalore.

Update:
prabhuav (thank you, Vijay - you're a life saver!!!) spent most of yesterday (his weekend!) at the garage while they were putting the car back together. There were some issues, which are only to be expected while putting a car back together, so the test drive didnt happen yesterday either.

However they finished work late last night so the test drive will happen today, which means any last minute adjustments/tightening of bolts/joints loosened up through a bad road drive will have to be done late into tonight so they can spent most of tomorrow on detailing. This is going to be REALLY close.

EDIT: Just spoke to the garage, they will be calling Vijay for the test drive now and are arranging for the priest from the nearby Ragigudda temple to do a vahan pooja before they take it on the first drive.

Special thanks to both Vijay Prabhu (prabhuav) and Rohan Punja from the garage - they've been putting some serious time aside in these last few days.

The Scorpio service vehicle is getting ready, and a mechanic has been arranged for the trip. The crew will be reaching Bangalore from various places on Wednesday. We still have to figure out how to get the 1/2 Musketeer across to Bangalore, though.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th July 2008 at 13:13.
Old 7th July 2008, 13:42   #290
BHPian

Steer,

Put the 1/2 musketeer on a plane from COK to BLR. I will pick him up from the airport. If possible in his grandfather's car

I am on my way to the garage for the puja and first run of the car.

will update soon.

Vijay
Old 7th July 2008, 14:08   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I am on my way to the garage for the puja and first run of the car.
Give me a call a you're through with puja.
Old 8th July 2008, 09:49   #292
BHPian

For the A/C i would suggest steer to go the normal Amby way i.e Super King A/C.Which would cost just something below 18K brand new and 4K 2nd hand(i don't find any prob going the 2nd hand way).But if you got "MORE" money to burn I would say just get a brand new compressor(no idea about the price), dryer(400) ,cooling coil(2,600). But everything including the blower,control switches,condenser and piping can be bought for around 1500 bucks 3nd hand!!

Last edited by muneemmk : 8th July 2008 at 09:51.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:03   #293
Team-BHP Support

If you are taking to Koyas, they will get superking or national installed in half a days time, will cost around 25 k IIRC. This is the best bet.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:48   #294
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu / munee - We will get the a/c done from Koyas or from some place in Cochin. Yes it should be a half-day job, max one day.

The car finally ran under its own power late last night when they finished work at midnight. Prabhuav took it on a post-midnight run on the NICE road and apparently it did very well, no issues during the 45 minute drive - they finally closed shop at 1.30 am. Alignment issues that were identified have been sorted out this morning, final detailing is on after which they will take it for one more test drive and shake the vehicle up well and good to shake loose any tentative bolts or connectors, then tighten everything up once again. Then we cross our fingers and leave everything to Ganesha!

Karl has sent the original papers from Pune and it should reach Prabhu today. A S H V I N is bringing Duboy to Bangalore early tomorrow morning - the young man is very excited about the car but I think he's going to be a bit disappointed on the interior.

REQUEST: We STILL need the original Dash, Switches and Steering wheel - if ANYONE ANYWHERE can find these please pick it up regardless of the cost. Wheeler is already scouting around in Coimbatore, nitrous can you please check Chennai and Bhaiyyaji please check in Delhi. Calcutta is probably the best bet but I dont know the Kolkatta boys very well - guys if you're reading this I need help. I'm sure these are available - if you find an old taxi still running with these, I'm willing to pay him for a brand new dashboard in exchange.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th July 2008 at 11:59.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:54   #295
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Steer! on the restoration's phase1 completion. So are you trying to get everything done ?(Your requisites and the interiors) while you are here in India before journeying back to Dubai. Anyways, like many others will be looking for this project completion with much eagerness and enthusiasm

Oh my Bad! I suppose you are already back there in Dubai.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 8th July 2008 at 11:56.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:07   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
REQUEST: We STILL need the original Dash, Switches and Steering wheel - if ANYONE ANYWHERE can find these please pick it up regardless of the cost. Wheeler is already scouting around in Coimbatore, nitrous can you please check Chennai and Bhaiyyaji please check in Delhi. Calcutta is probably the best bet but I dont know the Kolkatta boys very well - guys if you're reading this I need help. I'm sure these are available - if you find an old taxi still running with these, I'm willing to pay him for a brand new dashboard in exchange.
I thought you already got the dash??
Old 8th July 2008, 12:12   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Calcutta is probably the best bet but I dont know the Kolkatta boys very well - guys if you're reading this I need help. I'm sure these are available - if you find an old taxi still running with these, I'm willing to pay him for a brand new dashboard in exchange.
i know a couple of Taxi walas who love their Ambys very much - i will get back to you ASAP with whatever info / LM parts i can source through them.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:19   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I thought you already got the dash??
Long story - we'll discuss when the car is back in Cochin. Please inquire with the garages in Cochin too.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:34   #299
BANNED

Dash?? My goodness.
I'm getting into some good guesses about that big story.

So, the car did well on it's first drive! Nice to hear that. This is some real painfully anxious stage and it seems she has come out in flying colors. Great!
Old 8th July 2008, 13:51   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Dash?? My goodness.
I'm getting into some good guesses about that big story.

So, the car did well on it's first drive! Nice to hear that. This is some real painfully anxious stage and it seems she has come out in flying colors. Great!
Zak she isnt flying yet. On a trot yes.. On a gallop not yet. Keep all you can cross crossed that she manages to do so by evening.

Vijay
Closed Thread