Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 2nd May 2010, 21:19   #241
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Amazing work going on.
Still wonder how Pavan manages to balance his personal life with his passion for restoring

Thank you very much karthik.

Sometimes it makes me wonder too.

The Bug was unattended for a really loong time, so decided this time around to do some work and get it back to what it should be.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 16:26   #242
BANNED

This will probably be the last time i will be seeing my present dashboard setup.

Yes , there will be a facelift done in few more days time. And........................... It will be back to ORIGINAL

Saw an ad recently on T-BHP regarding one parts BUG for sale by Zozimo.

One call and i'am happy i spoke to Zozi, a wonderful and a helpful human being. The parts car helpe me and few of my VW friends with some spares.

Srisha - TBHP'ian found the rear glass, IRVM, Dashboard Grab handle for his Bug form Zozi's car.

Myself - Found the complete dashboard setup along with meters and the elusive original door handles and few small freebies along with it.

Some pics.....
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2010, 17:57   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Saw an ad recently on T-BHP regarding one parts BUG for sale by Zozimo.

One call and i'am happy i spoke to Zozi, a wonderful and a helpful human being. The parts car helpe me and few of my VW friends with some spares.

Srisha - TBHP'ian found the rear glass, IRVM, Dashboard Grab handle for his Bug form Zozi's car.

Myself - Found the complete dashboard setup along with meters and the elusive original door handles and few small freebies along with it.
Glad that the original bits are coming back to your car. She should great once the remaining bits are fitted.

Now whats left over? I need the inside rear view mirror
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 18:16   #244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Glad that the original bits are coming back to your car. She should be great once the remaining bits are fitted.

Now whats left over? I need the inside rear view mirror
I am more than happy to receive all those fittings.

I am eager to see how it looks after all the new changes are done.

Those IRVM was taken by Srisha, sorry ...!

Whats left over...

1) Original spec 1967 VW Tail light-- ordered, will arrive in couple of days.
2) Door chrome trims -- ordered from chennai, will arrive in couple of days.
3) Original Reverse lights -- ordered will come soon.
4) Original type upholstery -- Will do it, once all the above are done.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th May 2010 at 18:18.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:34   #245
BHPian

Pavan,
Good to see some of the original type parts come in. Those door handles are not '67. They look like the later '68 on ones.
B
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 21:52   #246
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Pavan,
Good to see some of the original type parts come in. Those door handles are not '67. They look like the later '68 on ones.
B
Thanks Byas,

I cross checked with Midamerica for the door handles, the one i've got has the part number matching 1967 VW Beetles, Very very similar to my Baywindow door handles.

I've waited all these years to lay my hands on those valuable parts, i'am glad i got them today. Wait till you see the Becker stereo(Not old, but a Becker for VW)
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2010, 21:56   #247
BANNED

Congrats P K on the handles! These handles were badly needed for your bug. I am still waiting to drive your Beetle.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 06:58   #248
BHPian

Sorry, you got wrong info from Midamerica. The ones in the pic are the '68-on handles -- same as what's on mine. The 67 handles are one year only and not used on the buses.

Late 66 and 67 handles are very distinctive -- here's what they should look like.

Here's one for sale and the right part numbers:

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - Set of 67-only door handles (K code)

Byas

Quote:
Thanks Byas,

I cross checked with Midamerica for the door handles, the one i've got has the part number matching 1967 VW Beetles, Very very similar to my Baywindow door handles.

I've waited all these years to lay my hands on those valuable parts, i'am glad i got them today. Wait till you see the Becker stereo(Not old, but a Becker for VW)

Last edited by 71Convertible : 9th May 2010 at 07:01.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:14   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, you got wrong info from Midamerica. The ones in the pic are the '68-on handles -- same as what's on mine. The 67 handles are one year only and not used on the buses.

Late 66 and 67 handles are very distinctive -- here's what they should look like.

Here's one for sale and the right part numbers:

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - Set of 67-only door handles (K code)

Byas

more over as far as my info goes Mid america motors and other american VW parts websites have not much authentic info about Euro model VW's .
To cite an example,The headlights for 1968-1972 Type 1, Type2 and Type 3 Euro models had Assymetrical lens and rims with 3 screws whereas the rims in USspecs had single screw at 6''clock position
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 11:23   #250
Team-BHP Support

While you're at it, also try and get the original window rubbers with trim. They make a world of difference to the appearance.

Quote:
Those IRVM was taken by Srisha, sorry ...!

Whats left over...
Can I have that GDA number plate for my collection then?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 15:37   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
more over as far as my info goes Mid america motors and other american VW parts websites have not much authentic info about Euro model VW's .
To cite an example,The headlights for 1968-1972 Type 1, Type2 and Type 3 Euro models had Assymetrical lens and rims with 3 screws whereas the rims in USspecs had single screw at 6''clock position
True. You are talking sense.

But i am pretty sure, the door handles for my car are not the push button types. I am searching for my book, which gives me the exact spec and distinctive features to look forward in a 1500 1967 Bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While you're at it, also try and get the original window rubbers with trim. They make a world of difference to the appearance.

Can I have that GDA number plate for my collection then?

Need to finish with the parts i have at hand first. But surely will look into those once i finish.

Those Number plates, i'll try with zozi during my next parcel arriving from Goa.

You can have them.
Old 9th May 2010, 15:45   #252
BHPian

Beautiful bug there Pavan! Your love for VWs has to be appreciated.

The efforts you are putting into this restoration are inspiring. I have been procrastinating for years on the restoration of my Lambretta, Lamby, RD...
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 19:49   #253
BHPian

Upto '66 (excluding the early bugs) was the square pushbutton handle. late '66 and '67 was the round pushbutton and 68-on no push button (little pull lever at the back). If your book says something else it's incorrect (do check and post the source though). Check Samba or even the german sites.

BTW, these are avail on the Samba. Might be able to pick up for you next time I go.

B
Old 9th May 2010, 22:55   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Upto '66 (excluding the early bugs) was the square pushbutton handle. late '66 and '67 was the round pushbutton and 68-on no push button (little pull lever at the back). If your book says something else it's incorrect (do check and post the source though). Check Samba or even the german sites.

BTW, these are avail on the Samba. Might be able to pick up for you next time I go.

B
Byas, I still have those doubts on the door handle thingy

I am anyways not putting them right now, will do a thorough research before jumping.

Thanks for your push button door handles offer, but i have already ordered them from a good friend in Goa.

I am leaving no effort this time around during the restoration part II. Need to get it BANG ON. Will also need your help sometime.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:19   #255
BANNED

I owe a big one to Byas

The door handles i have are indeed not the period one's. Anyways, will get the original type by weekend. The door is a major job and will have to wait for some more time to get there.

Presently the dashboard work is getting done.

Some pics....
Attached Images