Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 12th November 2010, 11:01   #391
BANNED

Some more work started today morning.

My folks at home are furious to see me working non-stop on cars at home

I am presently going mad managing my schedules at work, home and restorations But thats life for a Autofreak like me.

I had 5 choices to make:

a) Ordinary lace fabric- Rs.3500/-
b) High quality fabric -Rs.5000/-
c) Art leather costing around Rs.5500/-
d) Slightly expensive art leather Rs. 7000/-
e) Genuine Leather costing Rs 12000 (changed from 15500/- posted earlier by Pavan Kadam at his request ).

But finally decided that i will go for Genuine Leather (HIDE), since it felt good and the finish was told will be exceptional, and thats making things pretty expensive...OMG......!

1) Door pads stripped - Will be getting ORIGINAL type design done in BLACK
2) Seats removed - Will again get the ORIGINAL treatment in BLACK
3) Running board rubber to be replaced - Ordered from US, will arrive soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1669.jpg  

Last edited by navin : 12th November 2010 at 12:11.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 12:31   #392
BANNED

Continuing about the upholstery, The overall cost has touched Rs.27000/-

1) Carpetting - Rs. 3800/-
2) Roof lining - Rs. 4500/-
3) Door pads - Rs. 5000/-
4) Seats - Rs. 12000/-
5) Two running boards - Rs. 1500/-

Phew........!

Its twice the price of my usual upholstery guy, but i did not want to compromise on quality this time.

I always wanted a fresh clean and stock Engine bay for my Beetle since the time it was initially restored.

Finally after so many years, i am glad i was able to achieve it, Its 99% Stock as of now, the rest 5% is easy and achievable with 1 hour that i can spare.

And my much desired engine bay pic is here.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1670.jpg  

Old 12th November 2010, 18:12   #393
BHPian

Hi Pavan,

I noticed in one of the photos of your lovely Beetle that the tires wear whitewall inserts. Are they satisfactory in the sense are they a good alternative to buying real whitewall tires? I plan on using inserts for my Mercedes 180 ponton.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 18:34   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Continuing about the upholstery, The overall cost has touched Rs.27000/-

1) Carpetting - Rs. 3800/-
2) Roof lining - Rs. 4500/-
3) Door pads - Rs. 5000/-
4) Seats - Rs. 12000/-
5) Two running boards - Rs. 1500/-

Phew........!

Its twice the price of my usual upholstery guy, but i did not want to compromise on quality this time.

I always wanted a fresh clean and stock Engine bay for my Beetle since the time it was initially restored.

Finally after so many years, i am glad i was able to achieve it, Its 99% Stock as of now, the rest 5% is easy and achievable with 1 hour that i can spare.

And my much desired engine bay pic is here.
If it is 99% stock, please tell how can the rest be 5%?
That apart, the 2 air hoses connecting the fanshroud to muffler is not original/stock, you have used the aluminium type thing which is available locally, the original ones are black and made of plastic.
also the air hose clamps and the base seals(black rubber) are absent on either side.
the OE fuel pump for 1300-1500cc engines were square top types,not the rounded one as is here.
also the maruti type fuel filter is better avoided,go for the chrome inline fuel filter.
the original ignition coil is always black colour BOSCH coil.

regarding upholstery, the 67 seats was offered in cloth /leatherrette,never HIDE, and the pattern was BASKETWEAVE(if my info is correct.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 18:40   #395
BANNED

Nice to see the progress. Please help me with the upholstery guy for my Landmaster. Thats one pending job left. PM me his contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Nice catch!

Normal Beetle lovers like their Beetle 100%.

99% + 5% = 104%. This is how much Pavan loves his Beetle. Can anybody match this?!
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 19:37   #396
BHPian

Pavan kadam sir,
Can you plese tell me what this tube which comes vertically down from the air cleaner does?
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1670.jpg  

kishorelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 19:39   #397
BHPian

ajay sir,
What does this basket weave look like.
had a tata sierra long time ago, did it have the same seat pattern, ?
kishorelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 20:38   #398
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi Pavan,

I noticed in one of the photos of your lovely Beetle that the tires wear whitewall inserts. Are they satisfactory in the sense are they a good alternative to buying real whitewall tires? I plan on using inserts for my Mercedes 180 ponton.

Regards
Prithvi
Hi sir, nice to see you drop by this thread, Thank you.

Yes, these white wall inserts are the best alternative to those hard to find White wall tyres. And they cost only 10% of the cost of white wall tyres.

Quote:
That apart, the 2 air hoses connecting the fanshroud to muffler is not original/stock, you have used the aluminium type thing which is available locally, the original ones are black and made of plastic.
also the air hose clamps and the base seals(black rubber) are absent on either side.
the OE fuel pump for 1300-1500cc engines were square top types,not the rounded one as is here.
also the maruti type fuel filter is better avoided,go for the chrome inline fuel filter.
the original ignition coil is always black colour BOSCH coil.

regarding upholstery, the 67 seats was offered in cloth /leatherrette,never HIDE, and the pattern was BASKETWEAVE(if my info is correct.
Regarding the 99% and 5%, i am sorry guys, its a typo error, i meant 95% and 5%.

Those Air hoses, these are the one's available at US, so have to make do of them, let me try for the black one's.

Pierburg pumps are hexagonal in shape not Square. I have an old working one, but since newer pumps are available, why should i use the old one, and also, i use my car almost regularly.

1967 Beetle's never came with Fuel filter's the fuel pump had a filter inbuilt.

Ignition coil is LUCAS, i am happy with it, and getting BOSCH is quite difficult and costs me 3 times of LUCAS

And about the seats, I know it was basket weave till 1967, But there were cars in 67 that came with HIGHBACK seats, Basket weave designs ceases to exist after this.

And HIDE because, i loved the way it gets finished. Its me and my younger brother's choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Nice to see the progress. Please help me with the upholstery guy for my Landmaster. Thats one pending job left. PM me his contact info.

Nice catch!

Normal Beetle lovers like their Beetle 100%.

99% + 5% = 104%. This is how much Pavan loves his Beetle. Can anybody match this?!
This upholstery guy is the BEST in town.

Good Srini, you are so quick, i heard he came down today evening and your Landmaster seats are already with him. he he he.. Quite fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Pavan kadam sir,
Can you plese tell me what this tube which comes vertically down from the air cleaner does?
That is for infusing warm air into the airfilter, and is used only in cold countries. Its a bypass at the muffler.

Its not functional right now.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th November 2010 at 20:39.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:08   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hi sir, nice to see you drop by this thread, Thank you.

Yes, these white wall inserts are the best alternative to those hard to find White wall tyres. And they cost only 10% of the cost of white wall tyres.

Regarding the 99% and 5%, i am sorry guys, its a typo error, i meant 95% and 5%.

Those Air hoses, these are the one's available at US, so have to make do of them, let me try for the black one's.

Pierburg pumps are hexagonal in shape not Square. I have an old working one, but since newer pumps are available, why should i use the old one, and also, i use my car almost regularly.

1967 Beetle's never came with Fuel filter's the fuel pump had a filter inbuilt.

Ignition coil is LUCAS, i am happy with it, and getting BOSCH is quite difficult and costs me 3 times of LUCAS

And about the seats, I know it was basket weave till 1967, But there were cars in 67 that came with HIGHBACK seats, Basket weave designs ceases to exist after this.

And HIDE because, i loved the way it gets finished. Its me and my younger brother's choice.

This upholstery guy is the BEST in town.

Good Srini, you are so quick, i heard he came down today evening and your Landmaster seats are already with him. he he he.. Quite fast.

That is for infusing warm air into the airfilter, and is used only in cold countries. Its a bypass at the muffler.

Its not functional right now.
Pierburg did manufacture CONE Type pumps as well as square top pumps (hexagon if it has six sides!!).BROSOL and BOCAR from Brazil also manufactured these 2 type of pumps
also, these fuel pumps never came with inbuilt fuel filter, in pre67 models there was a mechanism called fuel tap and attached to that there was the fuel filtering system. But I mentioned about using a vintage type Chrome inline fuel filter since you were using the MARUTI fuel filter(as per the engine bay photos)
Also NOS pierburg pumps are available, but you will have to pay premium price for it.
Fitting Lucas coils in VW's is unthinkable if you are looking to make it stock.NO aircooled VW ever used LUCAS equipment. NOS Bosch black coils (GERMAN) may be pricey (USD150), but you can definitely use the Spain Made Blue BOSCH Coils(USD20) ,of course it is also costly than the Indian made LUCAS coils!
Your notion that ""BASKET Weave designs stopped after this"" is absolutely incorrect.BASKET WEAVE seats continued in VW1200 (EURO) models till 1971
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-flpmp2.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ajay99 : 13th November 2010 at 11:10.
Old 13th November 2010, 14:58   #400
BANNED

Quote:
Pierburg did manufacture CONE Type pumps as well as square top pumps (hexagon if it has six sides!!).BROSOL and BOCAR from Brazil also manufactured these 2 type of pumps
also, these fuel pumps never came with inbuilt fuel filter, in pre67 models there was a mechanism called fuel tap and attached to that there was the fuel filtering system. But I mentioned about using a vintage type Chrome inline fuel filter since you were using the MARUTI fuel filter(as per the engine bay photos)
Also NOS pierburg pumps are available, but you will have to pay premium price for it.
Fitting Lucas coils in VW's is unthinkable if you are looking to make it stock.NO aircooled VW ever used LUCAS equipment. NOS Bosch black coils (GERMAN) may be pricey (USD150), but you can definitely use the Spain Made Blue BOSCH Coils(USD20) ,of course it is also costly than the Indian made LUCAS coils!
Your notion that ""BASKET Weave designs stopped after this"" is absolutely incorrect.BASKET WEAVE seats continued in VW1200 (EURO) models till 1971

Ajay, i can only contradict your reply.

1) About the Fuel pump, please have a look at what i was running untill last month, Its still running fine, but i want a new one, that will not trouble me sometime soon. I have attached the pics, these are NOS Pierburg fuel pumps with round top, and they INDEED have filter inbuilt in them.

2) About the coil, i am happy with the LUCAS one, maybe RESTORATION PART III might include them

3) About the Basket weave design, Again no comments, since Highback seats never came with Basket Weave design, I have another 67 Fastback into restoration, 100% original single owner car with highback seats, the original upholstery is leather and perforated leather, NOT BASKET WEAVE. And again its a decision made by my brother and me to go in for plain leather, so l let that be.
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2010, 15:54   #401
Senior - BHPian

1.Regarding the photo you have shown that is known as the FUEL PUMP SCREEN which is found inside the fuel pumps(it is not the fuel filter)
VW Pierburg fuel pumps all had this the Screen diameter is usually 42 MM .see attached the photo of the inline fuel filter also.

2. I never said ""HIGH BACK seats'' came with basketweave pattern but that the pre67 basket weave pattern seats continued in VW1200 (euro) models till 1971.I am fully confident about this since,have seen a single owner 1969 model sedan with the basket weave seats(no headrest type).also fastback and beetles are having different specifications especially with interiors
Attached Images

Last edited by ajay99 : 13th November 2010 at 15:57.
Old 13th November 2010, 18:08   #402
Senior - BHPian

Default bosch coil

here is a picture of the genuine GERMAN BLACK 12 volt BOSCH coil with its original bracket and orange cap.VW part number is 043-905-115-C.
Few pieces of these are availabe in EBay USA and the asking price is around USD175
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2010, 20:07   #403
BANNED

Coming back to the topic.

I removed all the seats and door pads today morning, and on the way to office,dropped it at the upholsterer's place

5 more days for them to come back, got an opportunity once the seats are off to install the ORIGINAL Seat belt, presently i have only 1 piece, i might get the other in a couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1683.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1684.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1695.jpg  

Old 15th November 2010, 20:34   #404
Team-BHP Support

Might be a good idea to give some anti rust inside the doors after cleaning them up
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 21:12   #405
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Might be a good idea to give some anti rust inside the doors after cleaning them up
Great minds think alike

Just vacuumed all the dirt in the door pockets, cleaned them.

It already has a coat of antirust, but no harm in doing it again.

Have ordered the door dampeners, might come by weekend.

The door handles need to be changed, but due to other restorations, my tinker is not able to give me time.

Other thing i forgot to mention, the running board rubbers came in yesterday, not original but OE.