Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 28th January 2008, 23:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

This thread is getting me interested into beetle group. Some of the beetle club members might know there is a workshop on New BEL road that takes up beetle restoration works (same like any other body/engine/paint works). I have seen 3 beetles getting restored in his garage at different times I had gone there to get few things for my collegue.

71Convertible is doing a great job, which I always fantasized on an old fiat. Kudos to you buddy, curiously waiting to see more of your work as days pass. Once its done, you will have 100% practical tips to give for anyone who is going to touch a beetle restoration project, I am sure !! Thanks for motivating many here.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 08:26   #32
BHPian

Well Done Byas. Nice reading this writeup on your DIY. Keep them coming. Agree with V16, it is a pleasure to go through this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Some of the beetle club members might know there is a workshop on New BEL road that takes up beetle restoration works (same like any other body/engine/paint works). I have seen 3 beetles getting restored in his garage at different times I had gone there to get few things for my collegue.
Are you talking about "New Mars Service"?
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 11:50   #33
BHPian

Dear 71Convertible, Congratulations and nice restoration, it is great to
read the details of restoration of beetle and nice pictures.

Here in Jeddah, there were few VW beatle cars, but it did not have market
only few youngster drive for fun and there is no resale value.

Great job done, keep it coming more details like this.

Good luck!
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 12:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Are you talking about "New Mars Service"?
Yes buddy, are you in anyway connected to it ? Owner of that place is Santosh, hope I am not talking to the same person. Your profile shows a different photo, so I guess otherwise..
Old 29th January 2008, 13:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes buddy, are you in anyway connected to it ? Owner of that place is Santosh, hope I am not talking to the same person. Your profile shows a different photo, so I guess otherwise..
LOL, I don't own "New Mars...". Didn't know his name was Santhosh too.

A Team-bhpian took me there because I was (still am) looking to buy a beetle.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 13:19   #36
BHPian

just one word "WOW" but then TBHP wont let me post that one word alone so "WOWWWWWWWWWWW"
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 22:19   #37
BHPian

Help needed:
My vert sounds pretty loud. I'm trying to determine if it is a problem with the "muffler" or with the non-stock (non muffled) tail pipes. I can pick up a muffler next time I go to the US, but I'd like to determine i that's the source by replacing the tailpipes with standard ones. Anyone have sources on standard tailpipes? Or have spares (new/used) they'd be willing to sell or trade? Or a used pair they'd let me borrow for a few days?
Byas
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 16:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi Byas, try calling up santosh of New Mars at New BEL road, I am sure he will be able to help or guide on this. I missed his mobile number, but you can get it from the garage 23417084 or 22925382. He is been regularly restoring beetles for sometime.
Old 30th January 2008, 17:06   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Anyone have sources on standard tailpipes? Or have spares (new/used) they'd be willing to sell or trade?
You could try Ratilal and sons in Bombay at Opera House for most Beetle spares. 02223857029.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 23:07   #40
BANNED

Byas and Shajufx,

Sorry for interrupting, New mars is maintiainging 5 beetles in Bangalore. Beetles only go there because of Mechanic Aanji.

Mine was the First Beetle to undergo a full restoration under Mr Abubacker (owner New Mars)
Theres a Brigadiers vehicle which gets regularly serviced there.
Bhp members Strectch buggy job(Few) was done there.
And 2 other beetles were done there.

There's no point going there as he's not capable enough to take care of any beetles now as he's lost interest.

Want some work on Bugs pls let me know i'll get this mech guy out to do any job required.

Sorry to say this, i've been going there to service all 4 of my cars since 8 yrs but now since Santosh has taken over the management i see the place loosing its charm.Except for the guys out there.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 23:13   #41
BANNED

Byas want some help with a pro mechanic, would be glad to come and solve this problem.

He's an able mech with a lot of passion for Bugs.

He's already taken up maintainence work for few Beetles in the club.

Try him out, you'll not be dissapointed.

Do let me know.
Old 31st January 2008, 05:40   #42
BHPian

Pavan,
Thanks! Good to have a back up. For now, I'm having too much fun (and sufficient success) to not need mech help. Will certainly need for bodywork. Will your guy do bodywork (cut out rusted areas and weld in replacement pieces)? That would be good.
Byas
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 12:07   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Pavan,
Thanks! Good to have a back up. For now, I'm having too much fun (and sufficient success) to not need mech help. Will certainly need for bodywork. Will your guy do bodywork (cut out rusted areas and weld in replacement pieces)? That would be good.
Byas
Byas, you are amazing us all with the extent of DIY in the project. Go all the way, catch a couple of likeminded friends, get some videos and books, and complete the bodywork in house too. There isnt much to do anyways from what we have seen.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 12:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Default Thanks buddy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Byas and Shajufx,
Sorry for interrupting, New mars is maintiainging 5 beetles in Bangalore. Beetles only go there because of Mechanic Aanji...........Mr Abubacker (owner New Mars)
..........Santosh has taken over the management i see the place loosing its charm.Except for the guys out there.
Thanks for giving the latest info about the place. My post served its purpose. I know the guy through few deals my friends got from him, never had any interaction for my own needs. Its good to hear from someone who knows the place for years. My little knowledge is enhanced !!
Old 31st January 2008, 13:48   #45
BANNED

Yes Byas,

My tinker would do it for sure, do let me know when.