Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 12:20   #451
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,445
Thanked: 7,083 Times
Default

Nice car. By any chance is she for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The switches below the speedo console are from the Padmini- not the original metal toggle ones mounted on small ribbed aluminium plates on either sides.
Actually these plastic piano key switches are indeed original to these early Delights. They are Italian, made by Sipea. I'm lucky to have been gifted a Sipea made in Italy box of these switches, which will go on my 65 Delight at time of restoration. I think they are there on Shyam's/my 67 too.

The toggle switches made an appearance again in the late 60s, and local plastic piano key switches made a reccurrence in the Padmini.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 19:28   #452
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,382
Thanked: 4,194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice car. By any chance is she for sale?



Actually these plastic piano key switches are indeed original to these early Delights. They are Italian, made by Sipea. I'm lucky to have been gifted a Sipea made in Italy box of these switches, which will go on my 65 Delight at time of restoration. I think they are there on Shyam's/my 67 too.

The toggle switches made an appearance again in the late 60s, and local plastic piano key switches made a reccurrence in the Padmini.
Karl about the sale of this car I am not sure. The owner was quite nostalgic about it though.
The Sipea fact is news to me.
In Nagpur, there was a similar original Fiat 1100 D (1967-68 or so) parked on a main road, which was used as a PUC certificate issuing centre. I had always thought of stopping by and taking its pictures.Now its gone.The owner has bought a doddering 1980's Maruti 800.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 16:32   #453
BHPian
 
sanjeevkanjoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kerala -Trichur (Work--Qatar)
Posts: 131
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

hi,
I had bought a 1960 Model Fiat Select and i'm planning it to start the restoration by mid 2011. I'm posting the pictures of the same for some advice from fiat Gurus about the non original items on the car and also some leads for procurement of missing original items.
PS: Wheel caps and rear view mirrors are already noted.
Attached Thumbnails
Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-b.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-c.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-d.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-g.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-h.jpg  

Attached Images
  
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 16:58   #454
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,600
Thanked: 189 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Sanjeev ji congrats on the acquisition of the Fiat Select. though i am not a Fiat guru but would like to point out some non original/to be bought parts which are:
1. Horn button along with the various push/pull switches.
2. Meter casing aluminum plate (broken in your car) with toggle switches.
3. Rear plate and tail light fitting (should be aluminum).
you may also require a pair of Jewel lights for that period look & not to mention a FIAT1100 dicky badge. Apart from that IIRC Selects came with exposed fuel cap.

Other than this luckily you have a very complete and original car with the rare fittings still intact like thin side pattis, chrome strip under the rear windshield, push button dicky lock et al.

Last edited by samsag12 : 14th December 2010 at 17:15.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 19:31   #455
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,382
Thanked: 4,194 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Sanjeev ji congrats on the acquisition of the Fiat Select. though i am not a Fiat guru but would like to point out some non original/to be bought parts which are:
1. Horn button along with the various push/pull switches.
2. Meter casing aluminum plate (broken in your car) with toggle switches.
3. Rear plate and tail light fitting (should be aluminum).
you may also require a pair of Jewel lights for that period look & not to mention a FIAT1100 dicky badge. Apart from that IIRC Selects came with exposed fuel cap.

Other than this luckily you have a very complete and original car with the rare fittings still intact like thin side pattis, chrome strip under the rear windshield, push button dicky lock et al.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
hi,
I had bought a 1960 Model Fiat Select and i'm planning it to start the restoration by mid 2011. I'm posting the pictures of the same for some advice from fiat Gurus about the non original items on the car and also some leads for procurement of missing original items.
PS: Wheel caps and rear view mirrors are already noted.
Congratulations Sanjeev upon your new buy. The car is fairly original and like samsag I too am no Fiat guru but can offer a few suggestions apart from the ones samsag has.
Its soothing to see the original speedo and two new parking lights.
Only the ash tray appears original on the dash. The switches and even the whole steering is not original.
The upholstery has been messed up with . The front left door has original levers on the interior.The upholstery used to be of light grey rexine.I do not remember but feel cream also used to be an upholstery colour.
The tail light should not have the square reflector at its centre. This feature came along with the Super Select.You can look for original Select tail lights.
The side indicators used to be teardrop (horizontally placed) shaped in orange.
The glove box had no lock but a chrome bee shaped button.This should be easily available.
The car is fitted with an alternator and it makes sense to have one as we run the car sparingly.Has the owner handed over the original dynamo? If so you can also keep that as a standby.
The battery is a local made one.Once the restoration is over and the car is on the road, opt for a branded battery.If this one is new let it run and conk off. It should be replaced by a branded one as it makes a lot of sense especially for old cars that often require use of the self starter more and more.
The bumpers are fairly original and are the front grille and the side chrome strips.

It will take a little effort to shop for these original goodies and get the car back in fine shape.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th December 2010 at 19:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 20:41   #456
BHPian
 
sanjeevkanjoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kerala -Trichur (Work--Qatar)
Posts: 131
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Congratulations Sanjeev upon your new buy. The car is fairly original and like samsag I too am no Fiat guru but can offer a few suggestions apart from the ones samsag has.
Its soothing to see the original speedo and two new parking lights.
Only the ash tray appears original on the dash. The switches and even the whole steering is not original.
The upholstery has been messed up with . The front left door has original levers on the interior.The upholstery used to be of light grey rexine.I do not remember but feel cream also used to be an upholstery colour.
The tail light should not have the square reflector at its centre. This feature came along with the Super Select.You can look for original Select tail lights.
The side indicators used to be teardrop (horizontally placed) shaped in orange.
The glove box had no lock but a chrome bee shaped button.This should be easily available.
The car is fitted with an alternator and it makes sense to have one as we run the car sparingly.Has the owner handed over the original dynamo? If so you can also keep that as a standby.
The battery is a local made one.Once the restoration is over and the car is on the road, opt for a branded battery.If this one is new let it run and conk off. It should be replaced by a branded one as it makes a lot of sense especially for old cars that often require use of the self starter more and more.
The bumpers are fairly original and are the front grille and the side chrome strips.

It will take a little effort to shop for these original goodies and get the car back in fine shape.
Mr.Samsag and Mr.anjan,
Thanks a lot for your valued comments. I apologize if the term "some advice from fiat gurus" has caused embarrassment to you and also pulled back others from commenting on the car.So please all fiat lovers come up with your non original findings on my car.

Now i have to hunt for the original items as mentioned by both of you.

i have the 1100 dickey badge with me.


Can you please give me a link where i can find them?

PS:This car was given to me by a fellow T bhp-ian.
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 20:50   #457
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,600
Thanked: 189 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Sanjeev ji a lot of missing parts can be sourced from Mumbai/Pune and Nasik. Please share your plan of action for this car. Do you want to restore it to its former glory or making it roadworthy for the time being. Also whats the condition of the clips on the rims which hold the wheelcaps.
BTW just noticed that from the pics it seems that the accelerator pedal too is non original (i may be wrong) I can point out the 2 most hard to find items would be the aluminum light fittings( not lenses) and the indicator stalk box.

Last edited by samsag12 : 14th December 2010 at 20:53.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 22:48   #458
BHPian
 
sanjeevkanjoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kerala -Trichur (Work--Qatar)
Posts: 131
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Sanjeev ji a lot of missing parts can be sourced from Mumbai/Pune and Nasik. Please share your plan of action for this car. Do you want to restore it to its former glory or making it roadworthy for the time being. Also whats the condition of the clips on the rims which hold the wheelcaps.
BTW just noticed that from the pics it seems that the accelerator pedal too is non original (i may be wrong) I can point out the 2 most hard to find items would be the aluminum light fittings( not lenses) and the indicator stalk box.
First of all thanks for your helping mind.

Here's my plan of action!

Right now, i will be sourcing the original parts (missing)for which i require some help.


I'm planning it to have it repainted (Blue and white-2 tone), a new upholstery and collect and fix all the missing parts.This would be starting from another 3 months from now. I had already procured Grey German rexin from my work place (Qatar) and dispatched to India.The car is roadworthy and all the documents are current and it's in running condition now.

The mechanical works like complete suspension works,tuning,plug change,starter motor service ,bent ex change(it's having some problem), all oil change etc.will be starting from next week.

There are no dents visible and the car will be repainted by masking all the glasses & beading and i don't want to remove them for fear of damaging them.
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 13:15   #459
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,386
Thanked: 575 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
Right now, i will be sourcing the original parts (missing)for which i require some help.
Sanjeev,

You have a good buy, I also have a 1959 under restoration (MPR4142). And in my thread at around page no 10 i have discussed about the Various parts Specific to Select(original Italians and / or look alike).

This will give you fair idea of what is required and is missing. Also in my thread we have also discussed on upholstry and engine components too, I think you will get a host of information on my thread. Further sometimes i have also posted in this very same thread some of the original stuff from other cars (like IGnition coil) which might not be there on my thread. Both combined togather I feel you will have a good amount of Knowledge.

Please Scrap the blac paint on some inside pnels to reveal the original color if it is there, this color you can paint again to have originality. I think the seats have been changed, but again look inside the current upholstry you might get a surprise.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 03:18   #460
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 806
Thanked: 457 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

For all you Fiat lovers out there, some pcitures of our very own John Milne's lovely 1100. Great paint and interiors and clean engine bay! This car is no trailor queen, she is used regularly in the winter months when John is in Kolkata. I can vouch for that


Regards
Prithvi


P.S. I hope that this is the right thread to post these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-engine_1.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-fiat_3.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-fiat_.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-fiat_2.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-fiat_1.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:43   #461
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 205 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
For all you Fiat lovers out there, some pcitures of our very own John Milne's lovely 1100. .
Beauty, beauty, beauty.

John's Fiat is one of my favourites on this forum !! Thanks for the lovely pics Prithvi.

Can someone help John get original Hub-caps please ? That would be the icing on the (delicious) cake !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 15:14   #462
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 806
Thanked: 457 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Beauty, beauty, beauty.

John's Fiat is one of my favourites on this forum !! Thanks for the lovely pics Prithvi.

Can someone help John get original Hub-caps please ? That would be the icing on the (delicious) cake !
Hi Super Select,

Thanks for the complement. I think John mentioned to me that he does indeed have the correct hubcaps but refrains from using them on a regular basis to keep them safe from vandals, of which there are many in town!

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 20:21   #463
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,386
Thanked: 575 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

A millicento with Elegent Tail lamps is posted in the thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...esident-4.html (Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President)

Nicely done up with only few stuff needed.

Name:  DSCN1084.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  151.0 KB
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:35   #464
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Treasure at Byculla !

I regularly see this neat Select at Byculla, in Mumbai. In real good nick, and seems to be a regular runner .
So nice, - and so.. MRX !!
Attached Thumbnails
Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-byculla3.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-byculla2.jpg  

Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)-byculla1.jpg  

SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 17:42   #465
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 149
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Restored Fiats (Super Select & Others)

Hi

Last Night i saw a beautiful FIAT outside a Petrol Pump along Byculla Bridge and a very fancy regn number MIC 786

Does anyone have pics of the same, the car was in pristine condition with a 2 tone period colour
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins. SuperSelect Post-War 378 14th March 2017 05:48
1964 Fiat 1100 Super Select - A little makeover for her 50th Anniversary celebrations! dudesam24 Post-War 16 24th November 2016 12:30
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select karlosdeville Post-War 90 7th June 2016 09:35
Fiat Super Select sunilgee Post-War 9 5th January 2010 16:33
Bridgestone Select SUPER - Faridabad tsk13 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 4 28th November 2009 20:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks