Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 17th March 2010, 14:39   #571
Senior - BHPian

My car has been used extensively for about 17K Kms without oil change.Although many brand oils have been poured into the engine till today. Every packing on the engine of the car is leaking oil. guess it can be rectified by changing them. For the oil, i think if i use the flush agent to flush out the old oil, then pour new one with new filter the engine will run smooth. BTW car's engine is drinking some oil i think as there is some amount visible on tail pipe.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:44   #572
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
My car has been used extensively for about 17K Kms without oil change.Although many brand oils have been poured into the engine till today. Every packing on the engine of the car is leaking oil. guess it can be rectified by changing them. For the oil, i think if i use the flush agent to flush out the old oil, then pour new one with new filter the engine will run smooth. BTW car's engine is drinking some oil i think as there is some amount visible on tail pipe.
Sagar: Looking at your description of your car, I would suggest you to go for a complete restoration of the car.

If not 100% restoration, at least start off with the mechanicals... May be after few months you can do the body work.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 16:45   #573
BHPian

Quote:
My car has been used extensively for about 17K Kms without oil change.Although many brand oils have been poured into the engine till today.
it is pretty evident where you went wrong. Not changing oil on time is THE PRIMARY REASON for reduced engine life or even complete engine failure in cars.If the cars recommended oil change interval is 10k, change it at 8k. if its at 5k then atleast change it by latest 5k. oils are rated by api. api sf is the lowest rating permitted for marutis. the company provides sf oil so do hp, bp and io petrol pumps. its better to go for highest api rating oil available from premium oil manufacturers like gulf castrol and mobil 1 etc.

internationally api sf became obsolete 25 years ago , but i dont know why we are still stuck with it

addendum: the highest rating oil available today is api sm for most modern cars this is the best oil but for cars like the padmini the best oil is the previous api sl. for the reason check this out--API Motor Oil Service Classifications

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 17th March 2010 at 16:53.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 14:04   #574
BHPian

In speaking to P.K Chowdhury who sold my 1962 Fiat Deluxe to me, he mentioned that he thought that the car had been imported.

I don't think so as it has the bench seat and the original upholstery was similar to Indian built cars.

However to leave no stone unturned, I am posting the Engine #103d-000 PA 28141B & Chassis #103D-876180.

Can anyone confirm if these are Indian?
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 14:49   #575
Senior - BHPian

Today i saw a pair of old horns in scrapyard which looked like Jalwa make but they were not Indian. Can any body tell which make and from which nation the original horns were whose replicas were Jalwa horn(indian make). BTW asking price is 400 Rs. Should i buy it or not?
Old 18th March 2010, 18:29   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
In speaking to P.K Chowdhury who sold my 1962 Fiat Deluxe to me, he mentioned that he thought that the car had been imported.

I don't think so as it has the bench seat and the original upholstery was similar to Indian built cars.

However to leave no stone unturned, I am posting the Engine #103d-000 PA 28141B & Chassis #103D-876180.

Can anyone confirm if these are Indian?
Engine is Indian. PA stands for Premier Automobiles. The body shells of all the Selects and SuperSelects were imported from Italy. "Made in Italy" is engraved near the chassis number plate on these cars.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 20:38   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Shell Helix HX5 must be better for our cars. Shell says its for 13+ years old cars who do frequent stops and short trips.

Shell Helix HX5 - INDIA
Depends on your engine condition, John Milne's has low oil pressure so he will need a more viscous oil to maintain the pressure.
boeuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 20:46   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - NO ADDING ANY DIESEL / FLUSHING AGENT IN THE ENGINE. IT WILL RUIN THE LUBRICATION CHARACTERISTICS. THIS IS ALL NONSENSE THAT MECHANICS KEEP ON SPREADING, I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY. JUST DRAIN OLD OIL WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT (10 MINUTES AFTER SWITCH OFF IS IDEAL), ADD NEW OIL AND CHANGE OIL FILTER. USE PUROLATOR OIL FILTER ONLY. BE CAREFUL, THERE ARE NUMEROUS FAKES FLOATING ALL OVER THE PLACE.

The best way to clean an engine (if you are "hell bent" on doing it) is to remove the engine from the car, drain the oil, remove the clutch assembly, stand the engine on the flywheel, remove the sump and then wash it from inside with petrol only (no kerosene). Clean any grit stuck tothe oil pump suction mesh with a knife. Assemble the sump with a new gasket. It would be a good idea to replace the timing chain, water pump, manifold gaskets etc during this time. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY, WHICH PLEASE NOTE.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 21:12   #579
Senior - BHPian

Today i returned the cyclo engine flush after a lot of discussion on this thread regarding not to use it. I am going to replace the oil with a new one (sae 20w-40) rated. Will change the oil filter and want to know what other gasket and packing of engine should be changed as i have purchased major engine packing set. Presently i intend to replace the head gasket along with rocker cover/tappet cover gasket.
BTW Is manifold packing also included in the kit??
Old 18th March 2010, 21:16   #580
BANNED

Quote:
want to know what other gasket and packing of engine should be changed as i have purchased major engine packing set. Presently i intend to replace the head gasket along with rocker cover/tappet cover gasket.
BTW Is manifold packing also included in the kit??
The major engine packing set includes manifold, water pump packing too.. So are you changing the head gasket? Click pics of the engine head please. I want to see how it is..
Old 18th March 2010, 21:23   #581
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the engine head?? After removing or a general shot of is as is. Yes i intend to change the gasket (head) Should i not change it??
Old 18th March 2010, 21:28   #582
BANNED

Quote:
Pics of the engine head?? After removing or a general shot of is as is. Yes i intend to change the gasket (head) Should i not change it??
Pics of the head when removed...

Its a tedious task to change it... Follow "Behram's First Law"... If everything is working in a Fiat, don't touch it.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:34   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Pics of the head when removed...

Its a tedious task to change it... Follow "Behram's First Law"... If everything is working in a Fiat, don't touch it.

I too agree with the first law. Dont just change the gasket for the heck of it. If you open up the head, be ready for surprises. You never know what until you open it.
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 21:36   #584
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of getting the car thoroughly serviced and greased followed by changing the oil replacing the oil filter. BTW the oil filter is to be replaced after the old oil is completely drained ?? Just clearing my doubts as i don't want to take chance.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:49   #585
BANNED

Quote:
BTW the oil filter is to be replaced after the old oil is completely drained ??
Make sure you fix the new oil filter and air filter back.