Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 02:44   #601
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,360
Thanked: 524 Times
Default

Three points out of my personal experience

1. If you back off the timing, the exhaust port temperatures shoot up. This will cause to overheat. Timing as per the reccomendation's is a must.

2. Pr. cap not only prevents the water from leaking but also increases the heat carrying capacity of water.

3. Always use Demineralised Water (DM) to help prevent scale formation. I have seen mechanics putting Distilled water or Tap water both way is incorrect.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 08:11   #602
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
most important and most neglected part of the cooling system is the pressure cap. It should be of TECIL make ONLY, nothing else will work.
Is TECIL make pressure cap available in the market easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
3. Always use Demineralised Water (DM) to help prevent scale formation. I have seen mechanics putting Distilled water or Tap water both way is incorrect.
How is usage of distilled water incorrect? I am presently using coolant mixed with distilled water. What water is Demineralized water?

Last edited by funkykar : 29th March 2010 at 08:12.
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 11:39   #603
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,360
Thanked: 524 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
How is usage of distilled water incorrect? I am presently using coolant mixed with distilled water. What water is Demineralized water?
Distilled water is free of Germs and bacteria but no of minerals in water. Water from a Borewell migh have salt which will elad to scaling. A demineralised water will be free of minerals.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 11:48   #604
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Distilled water is free of Germs and bacteria but no of minerals in water. Water from a Borewell migh have salt which will elad to scaling. A demineralised water will be free of minerals.
I know that we shouldnt use borewell water for sure. I never knew about distilled water. I always believed this is best and using it. What are the other best waters to use apart from Demineralized water?

Where can you find demineralized water in Bangalore?
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 14:36   #605
BHPian
 
adheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 525
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Distilled water is free of Germs and bacteria but no of minerals in water. Water from a Borewell migh have salt which will elad to scaling. A demineralised water will be free of minerals.
No. Pure distill free of absolutely free of all solutes. Arre, thats the reason its used in batteries as well as injections by doctors. It is harmful to drink distill water for the same reason (absence of essential salts thus, it becomes hypotonic). However the presence (or absence) of microorganisms depends on the storage. Please refer Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 29th March 2010 at 14:37.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 14:42   #606
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
No. Pure distill free of absolutely free of all solutes. Arre, thats the reason its used in batteries as well as injections by doctors. It is harmful to drink distill water for the same reason (absence of essential salts thus, it becomes hypotonic). However the presence (or absence) of microorganisms depends on the storage. Please refer Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
So my 4 cars running on coolant + distilled water are safe
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 15:01   #607
BHPian
 
adheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 525
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
So my 4 cars running on coolant + distilled water are safe
Absolutely !! Majority of people use normal tap water and their cars run fine. But we being different would like to do things the "perfectly correct way". What say ?
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 15:05   #608
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Absolutely !! Majority of people use normal tap water and their cars run fine. But we being different would like to do things the "perfectly correct way". What say ?
Absolutely! We all really care for our cars. Sometimes, we sacrifice many other personal things in life just for our cars. We all like doing it.

I flushed all the water out of the cooling system a few times (once with some soap powder too) and then changed it over to coolant and distilled water.
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 20:49   #609
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,360
Thanked: 524 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
No. Pure distill free of absolutely free of all solutes. Arre, thats the reason its used in batteries as well as injections by doctors. It is harmful to drink distill water for the same reason (absence of essential salts thus, it becomes hypotonic). However the presence (or absence) of microorganisms depends on the storage. Please refer Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Still not getting it. Demineralised may also be called Deionised water too (also used in Batteries). Distilled water is primarily used in medical and scientific application.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 20:55   #610
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Still not getting it. Demineralised may also be called Deionised water too (also used in Batteries). Distilled water is primarily used in medical and scientific application.

Could it be that the distilled water what we get is actually demineralized? I ask this as I see almost every petrol pump having distilled water bottles and cans
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 21:38   #611
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,196
Thanked: 1,309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Distilled water is free of Germs and bacteria but no of minerals in water. Water from a Borewell migh have salt which will elad to scaling. A demineralised water will be free of minerals.
with the borewell water bit! NEVER NEVER EVER let borewell water near a car!! I've had the terrible experience of using the damn thing for one of our cars' radiator, which resulted in it getting blocked up (the salt blocking up all the pipes inside! )
Luckily my mech. then pointed it out and got it cleaned up. 'learnt my lesson then!
'not sure about mineral water though.

Last edited by Stanher : 29th March 2010 at 21:43.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 22:20   #612
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
with the borewell water bit! NEVER NEVER EVER let borewell water near a car!! I've had the terrible experience of using the damn thing for one of our cars' radiator, which resulted in it getting blocked up (the salt blocking up all the pipes inside! )
Luckily my mech. then pointed it out and got it cleaned up. 'learnt my lesson then!
'not sure about mineral water though.
Oh yeah! borewell water kills. I think mineral water would do the same thing, because of the minerals present?

If I remember correctly, somewhere, Behram sir stated that tap water is just fine and he is using it since a couple of decades atleast and never saw any issues.

Behram sir, what would the best and most correct way? Is it okay to use distilled water + coolant. I mean does it do any harm having distilled water + coolant?

Last edited by funkykar : 29th March 2010 at 22:26. Reason: EDIT: Added more info
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 22:28   #613
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

A heated discussion about the car heating problem.
Is it advisable to use the readymix coolant.This way one can eliminate the risk of pouring the wrong type of water with the coolant. I am using MAK REDICOOL ready to use coolant in my S1.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 22:32   #614
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
A heated discussion about the car heating problem.
Is it advisable to use the readymix coolant.This way one can eliminate the risk of pouring the wrong type of water with the coolant. I am using MAK REDICOOL ready to use coolant in my S1.
Definitely! My temperature of my head shot to danger mark (even though temp on my cars dont cross the 40% mark) first thing when I woke up in morning and saw TBHP. I got mad at myself thinking what I considered a good conversion I did (change over to coolant + distilled water) might screw up my cars.

Ready mix coolant! Heard of them. How much do they cost?

Is it okay to use any brand any type of coolant for our cars? I find it difficult to choose from a store. Many dont state properly what vehicle it is intended for. I vaguely remember some types like 'heavy duty' and 'for turbo charged vehicles'
funkykar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 22:42   #615
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

As stated i use MAK redikool in my car. I bought 3bottles of 1ltrs each for my car which costed 350 total. Directly poured them in (around2.5ltrs) the degassing tank after flushing the old one. Regarding the brand do look out for the antifreeze and boil property stated on the coolant bottle. I don't remember the exact property right now.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat 1100 / Premier Padmini - Parts to Stock for FUTURE! arun1100 Post-War 336 2nd February 2016 17:32
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D) Ram The Indian Car Scene 391 1st February 2016 07:42
My 1973 (FIAT 1100) Premier President President Post-War 208 17th September 2015 00:13
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information john a milne Post-War 64 29th May 2012 11:15
Used Maruti800, premier padmini , premier 118ne ? sakharamcool Hatchbacks 8 27th May 2008 11:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks