Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 16:16   #1216
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Gas welding done on the muffler at the same workshop where the car was serviced for the last 23 years:
Gowtham, which garage is this and where is it located?
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 19:35   #1217
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,597
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Installed the fuel pump today, wired it to run all the time. Working nicely.
Here are some pics of the same project I carried on in my S1, hope you'll find them useful.

Its a parallel connection i.e. fuel tank--Fuel filter (carburetor Van)--Electronic Pump--fuel line(stock metal one)--mechanical pump(stock)--carburetor.
A switch is connected to operate the Electronic pump.

Will share couple pics of the final setup in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-220220141929.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-220220141928.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dscn5573.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-220220141935.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-220220141936.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-220220141932.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-220220141931.jpg  

samsag12 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 08:30   #1218
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Gowtham, which garage is this and where is it located?
Hello Karthik,

This garage (Manjunatha motor works) is located off Basaveshwaranagar. When I bought the car, I visited this garage and I saved the location on my phone, so I could trace back to the place, else the narrow lanes are confusing.

Screen grabs from my phone to give you some idea on the location:

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_ss_20151006_0002.png

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_ss_20151006_0003.png

You can contact the mechanic, a nice man, on +91 934 379 2534.

Please PM me your phone number and I will call you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Here are some pics of the same project I carried on in my S1, hope you'll find them useful.

Its a parallel connection i.e. fuel tank--Fuel filter (carburetor Van)--Electronic Pump--fuel line(stock metal one)--mechanical pump(stock)--carburetor.
A switch is connected to operate the Electronic pump.

Will share couple pics of the final setup in a day or two.
Hello Sagar,

Thanks a lot for the pics, the mounting looks nice!

Also, where do you tap the mains (positive) connection? I need to know this as I plan to do the wiring myself.

I am thinking I will tap the wiring from the parking light wire, and then put a switch for electronic pump in the spare wheel bay itself. This will reduce the wiring effort, but I will first need to switch on parking lights and then turn the wheel bay switch to get the pump working. Other option is to tap from the fuel level sensor wire, which will be powered on when the ignition key is turned on. Which one is a better choice? I intend to use the pump only to start the car if the mechanical pump goes dry or in emergency situations only.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 09:57   #1219
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,597
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

Hello Sagar,

Thanks a lot for the pics, the mounting looks nice!

Also, where do you tap the mains (positive) connection? I need to know this as I plan to do the wiring myself.

I am thinking I will tap the wiring from the parking light wire, and then put a switch for electronic pump in the spare wheel bay itself. This will reduce the wiring effort, but I will first need to switch on parking lights and then turn the wheel bay switch to get the pump working. Other option is to tap from the fuel level sensor wire, which will be powered on when the ignition key is turned on. Which one is a better choice? I intend to use the pump only to start the car if the mechanical pump goes dry or in emergency situations only.
I have routed the mains connection from pump to a switch on centre console (visible in one of the pics above) & then to ignition switch & connected it to "Ign on" position.
This setup gives full control of fuel delivery from the driver's seat, so I would strongly suggest you install a switch inside the cabin. Its quite an effort but in the end its all worth it.

OTOH if you're willing to power it up using the sender units' connection, the fuel level needle on meter WILL flicker when the electronic pump is actuated.
samsag12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 10:09   #1220
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Its quite an effort but in the end its all worth it.

OTOH if you're willing to power it up using the sender units' connection, the fuel level needle on meter WILL flicker when the electronic pump is actuated.
Thanks a lot for these inputs! I guess I will take the same route
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 10:57   #1221
BHPian
 
boeuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blr
Posts: 174
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Thanks a lot for these inputs! I guess I will take the same route
I have wired my fuel pump from the fuse box fuse H, first from left hand side. This way it is controlled from the ignition switch and also has the fuse protection.
boeuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:10   #1222
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
I have wired my fuel pump from the fuse box fuse H, first from left hand side. This way it is controlled from the ignition switch and also has the fuse protection.
Dear Boeuff, thanks! you take the tap off from behind the glove box?
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:24   #1223
BHPian
 
boeuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blr
Posts: 174
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Dear Boeuff, thanks! you take the tap off from behind the glove box?
Yeah, behind the glove box.
The upper terminal is mains and the lower is after the fuse if I remember right. Please verify.
boeuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 19:23   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,384 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Where do you tap the mains (positive) connection? I need to know this as I plan to do the wiring myself. I am thinking I will tap the wiring from the parking light wire, and then put a switch for electronic pump in the spare wheel bay itself. This will reduce the wiring effort, but I will first need to switch on parking lights and then turn the wheel bay switch to get the pump working. Other option is to tap from the fuel level sensor wire, which will be powered on when the ignition key is turned on. Which one is a better choice? I intend to use the pump only to start the car if the mechanical pump goes dry or in emergency situations only.
Dear Gowtham - keep it simple. Tap positive from the solenoid switch, connect a remote in-line fuse, put a switch on the dashboard, route a new wire below the seats upto the pump. What yaar! In my case, I am not too keen on reverse lights in my fiats, so I just use the reverse lights wire which is there in the wiring loom to power the pump!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 08:57   #1225
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 884
Thanked: 515 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]Tap positive from the solenoid switch, connect a remote in-line fuse, put a switch on the dashboard, route a new wire below the seats upto the pump.
Sir, Is there a fuse for the electric fuel pump in the 118NEs with factory fitted electric fuel pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Other option is to tap from the fuel level sensor wire, which will be powered on when the ignition key is turned on.
Fuel level sensor provides only ground connection to the fuel gauge. There is no link to +12V and the sensor.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 10:08   #1226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,384 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Sir, Is there a fuse for the electric fuel pump in the 118NEs with factory fitted electric fuel pump?
Dear Ilangop - yes, there is a fuse but I don't remember the exact location in the fuse box. Need to refer to the 118NE workshop manual.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 10:44   #1227
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Fuel level sensor provides only ground connection to the fuel gauge. There is no link to +12V and the sensor.
Sir, question: If no positive is connected to the sender unit, then is it connected to the gauge, the sender and the gauge must be connected in series to complete the circuit?
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 11:48   #1228
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 884
Thanked: 515 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Sir, question: If no positive is connected to the sender unit, then is it connected to the gauge, the sender and the gauge must be connected in series to complete the circuit?
See the attachment for the wiring schematic of fuel gauge. The ground connection for the gauge is provided by the sensor, while +12V is available at the gauge directly upon key-On.
There are also other possible ways for the gauge to read the fuel level, though the below link shows a very simple principle of its operation.
Click the below link to know its working.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-gauge1.htm
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ilangop : 7th October 2015 at 11:51.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 11:48   #1229
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,384 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
If no positive is connected to the sender unit, then is it connected to the gauge, the sender and the gauge must be connected in series to complete the circuit?
Dear Gowtham - of course yes! Positive to ignition switch, ignition switch to gage, gage to sender unit in the tank, sender unit to earth. Simple! Finally the gage is a voltmeter and the sender unit is a potentiometer.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 08:30   #1230
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

OFF TOPIC

Padmini comes to office

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20151009_06_56_09_pro.jpg

Left home at 6:05 AM and reached office at 6:55 AM, distance traveled is 32 km. Max speed I did was 80, and cruised on ring road at 70.

The gravel on kundalahalli junction made the car do an unintended power slide, with rear end sliding and throwing up lot of gravel as I accelerated out of the turn. May be the bald tyre losing grip completely.

There are at least 30 Mercs in the parking lot and none get the attention my car got today. Love the car.
autocrat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat 1100 / Premier Padmini - Parts to Stock for FUTURE! arun1100 Post-War 336 2nd February 2016 17:32
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D) Ram The Indian Car Scene 391 1st February 2016 07:42
My 1973 (FIAT 1100) Premier President President Post-War 208 17th September 2015 00:13
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information john a milne Post-War 64 29th May 2012 11:15
Used Maruti800, premier padmini , premier 118ne ? sakharamcool Hatchbacks 8 27th May 2008 11:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks