Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 14th July 2009, 10:24   #151
BHPian

For getting useful information during restoration of Lambretta, for electrical & wiring diagrams, for owner's manuals, service manuals & factory manuals, you must visit :
Welcome to Scooterhelp.com

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 14th July 2009 at 10:26.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 11:05   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
But then there lies a problem with your flat frame on which the seats are mounted. This is more of a cosmetic problem and we should know why ? If its because there was some welding / heating done to tinker the dents on the flat flame or patch up any rusted parts then its quite possible that the rear end warped away because it was not in the original pics. Warpage is something very common specially when you heat / weld a part.

Its difficult to pin point the weld health of the joints that you have shown under the seats. Definitely they are not in the strongest of shape for the reinforcement plates but if the welds are not present evenly on all sides of the reinforcement plate or they have got opened / cracked during denting process or naturally (as is quite common) then the plate will loosen up and let the flat frame be pulled to one side as is visible on your machine.

Please take a close look at these things and call me.
Hi Saurabh, thanks and sorry for the delay.
As for heating/wleding, nothing done in the middle of the frame as far as I can remember. While the other panels were heated to remove the paint prior to denting, I had personally supervised the stripping of the paint from the chassis using paint-remover.
OK so assuming the problem is with the flat plates, (although even here, it's the first plate that has a loose joint, which is farther away from the rear end of the frame), how do I tackle this problem? Should I show it to a denter and get his input as well?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 11:53   #153
BHPian

Default Stanher's frame

OK

Here's my two bits.

I saw from pics that you had some welding / heating done behind the number plate area on the flat frame. That is one of the things that could have caused this warpage.

If there are any loose weldings on the flat frame they too can cause this warp. Show it to your denter who will determine this.

Please ensure that you tighten the wheel rrim bolts properly to the drum before we do the measurement of the extent of warp on the frame. Right now it looks about an inch or inch & half towards the left as viewed from the rear.

THIS IS THE TIME to fix this issue or you will never be able to do it once the entire scoot is assembled.

Also you mentioned slight deflection in the rear mudguard - thats normal and can be fixed when the body is disassembled and the mudguard mounting brackets on the frame are heated and aligned properly. I had it on my machine as well and we had to heat the brackets and ensure that they were aligned with the mudguard holes properly and then only we painted the frame. So dont bother at this stage and let the mudguard be as it is.

Flat frame needs to be fixed and thats what you must because it will show from the rear end and gives the impression that the rear tire is misalined - and thats something we definitely dont want people to believe after having gone through a painful and extensive resto job.

AND ONE MORE VERY IMPORTANT THING

Since the flat frame is warped and the big side panels sit in the grooves on the flat frame on both sides they may not sit properly on the side of the flat frame. Also the big body side panels are latched at the rear end of the flat frame and since they rear end itself is warped even latching the body side panels will be off balance.

So PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!

Cheers!

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 14th July 2009 at 11:59.
SA7VA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 23:30   #154
BHPian

@ Stanher, see the junction box in Chanu's Lamby 150 posted in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks!
Well, AFAIK, all 60s (Li) Lambrettas had this 5-coil stator plate only as standard? 'never seen one with only 2 coils. Those were there only on the previous LD models. here's a pic. of one taken from an LD:

Attachment 156196

Junction box, its for the electrical circuit, that's where the lead wires (3 seen in the pic.) are connected. Similar to the ones cars have, only smaller.

BTW, could you try and upload a pic. of the junction box on your dad's lambretta? I'm curious to know wht the original shape looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lamby4.jpg  

gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 01:05   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
@ Stanher, see the junction box in Chanu's Lamby 150 posted in another thread.
Yes, that;s the correct one ,thanks! Unfortunately couldnt get it at the local spares shop the day I went- the guy had said he will search and keep aside for me, told me to come later. So meanwhile I bought a Vijai (roundish) junction box that he had, to use temporarily.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 10:27   #156
BHPian

Default Need some accessories

I need side monograms and white wall tyres for my 1960 lambretta urgently, any lead or help is highly appreciated,

Thx

Srisha
srisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 11:10   #157
BHPian

Default hI

the best option is to import both these from UK.

Good quality side monograms are made by Casa.

COntinental K 62 W white wall tires are also available in UK.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2009, 22:49   #158
BHPian

Great to see the progress on Shyam's and Saurabh's scooters! Here's a small update from me...my 1970 Lambretta is close to completion. Painting is going on for some parts, but the skeleton of the scooter is ready, with brand-new rims and tyres fitted. Engine is fitted, electricals to be done.
Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00570.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00571.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00572.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00573.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00574.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00487.jpg  

Last edited by Sidman : 27th July 2009 at 23:02.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 12:22   #159
BHPian

Hey Sidman!

Good show - your scoot is coming up well - why haven't you painted the flat frame on the tubular chassis - the chassis itself seems painted?

when you now paint the flat frame do mask your engine and other components well so that they dont get the overspray.

Cheers mate!

Saurabh
Old 28th July 2009, 12:36   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sidman!

Good show - your scoot is coming up well - why haven't you painted the flat frame on the tubular chassis - the chassis itself seems painted?

when you now paint the flat frame do mask your engine and other components well so that they dont get the overspray.

Cheers mate!

Saurabh
Hi Saurabh,
Thanks for the thumbs-up! We were forced to do painting in stages, due to unpredictable rains here. Mechanic wanted to ensure the newly-tinkered side panels fit perfectly before painting the flat frame and side-shields. As you can see, the side panels are fitting snugly.

Cheers!!!
Sidman
Old 28th July 2009, 12:41   #161
BHPian

So whats the color that you have decided for the side panel and the nose? the other color is white as we can see it!

By the way I still believe that you should fill up that hole next to the petrol filler opening! Looks odd - rest is your call!

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 28th July 2009 at 12:42.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:50   #162
BHPian

Quote:
So whats the color that you have decided for the side panel and the nose? the other color is white as we can see it!

By the way I still believe that you should fill up that hole next to the petrol filler opening! Looks odd - rest is your call!
We've actually done a tri-tone paintjob here. All concealed chassis and engine parts are in light cream, which actually looks very nice under bright lighting.
Fork, rims, hubs, mudguard, legshield, rear floorboards, flat frame, and handle lower casing are in Diamond white.
The side shields, horncast and handle upper casing will be in blue (close to the "Azurro" blue that came on the original S2's).
I plan to get that hole filled with a bolt that does the job of a lock-stopper.

Cheers!!!
Sidman
Old 28th July 2009, 22:39   #163
BHPian

Some more pics of my scooter restoration:
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image013.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image027.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image028.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image029.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-image030.jpg