Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 20:31   #181
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Few more pics, with a better camera. Could not get pics of the bigger parts, they were safely locked up, and mech was not around. And now starts work on the finer details. This is a resto / mod job we're doing here, a bit like updating a Lambretta for the year 2009, without ruining its classic beauty. Just make it more functional and enjoyable to ride by taking advantage of technological advances in the last 30 - 35 years in the automobile sector.
Originality was not a strict concern during this resto, the idea was to slightly better the original stock scooter. We get better paints, tyres, batteries, bulbs, spark plugs, etc now, over what was available in the 60's/70's. All these have been used to upgrade MEB 1222. Yes, thats an Amaron 12V dry battery you see in the pics! The scooter was painted with Dupont, the tyres are CEAT Secura Neo, NGK spark plug fitted, Halogen headlight bulb, Lumax bulbs, just to name some of the parts used.
In addition to the original horn, a pair of Bosch 12V DC horns have been fitted under the scooter, to blast cattle out of my path
A two-way switch turns the extra horns on.
A Minda brand 4-way ignition switch was used, as seen in the pics...a highly reliable brand, but sadly Minda parts are not available.
As for indicators, I really don't like them on a classic scooter...I'd much rather use hand signals! So no indicators on my scoot...
We have avoided structural mods to the scooter. For example, to fit the battery, we mounted a tray behind the air filter box. The tray is removable with just one screw! Basically, bike can be easily returned to stock condition, without any ugly remanants.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00687.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00688.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00689.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00690.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00691.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00692.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00693.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00696.jpg  

Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 20:39   #182
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Is this Flaminia Blue? If so what is the code. I am planning to paint my scooter Flaminia blue too, like the one in the attached photo.
Amol, was this question directed at me? No, I have not gone for exact original paint shades, I just looked at the Dupont shades for 20 mins., and decided what I wanted. It is pretty close to the "Azzuro" Blues used on S2 Lambrettas. The white is called "Diamond White". I think Maruti Suzuki uses this on the M800.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 21:38   #183
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,196
Thanked: 1,309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Few more pics, with a better camera.
Originality was not a strict concern during this resto, the idea was to slightly better the original stock scooter. We get better paints, tyres, batteries, bulbs, spark plugs, etc now, over what was available in the 60's/70's. All these have been used to upgrade MEB 1222.

A Minda brand 4-way ignition switch was used, as seen in the pics...a highly reliable brand, but sadly Minda parts are not available.
Nice! Good to see that you're updating your scoot without ruining the stock structure. 'looks like you plan to use it daily!

But why the Vijai type ignition switch, instead of the original cut-off button? Is it part of the upgrade too?

Also what tyres are you going to use?

Also could you try and get a replica of your rear numberplate base made for me

I badly need one for my s2!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th August 2009 at 21:41.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 23:06   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,360
Thanked: 524 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
In addition to the original horn, a pair of Bosch 12V DC horns have been fitted under the scooter, to blast cattle out of my path
What will happen if you encounter a nasty bangalore speed braker, will the horne scrape off?? but then one might not use on those roads.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 09:43   #185
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
What will happen if you encounter a nasty bangalore speed braker, will the horne scrape off?? but then one might not use on those roads.
I have never had a speedbreaker scrape the underside of my bikes, as I don't ride like a maniac, and always slow down for them. Speedbreakers are meant to ruin a maniac's day only! There is no reason for the horns to "scrape off", the ground clearance is pretty good. I plan to use this scooter regularly...only if I know that my destination has protected parking area that is closed to general public. Like my office parking...so I will travel daily to office on my bike. I will not park it in public parking, where retarded individuals think it is their right to meddle with bikes like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice! Good to see that you're updating your scoot without ruining the stock structure. 'looks like you plan to use it daily!

But why the Vijai type ignition switch, instead of the original cut-off button? Is it part of the upgrade too?

Also what tyres are you going to use?

Also could you try and get a replica of your rear numberplate base made for me

I badly need one for my s2!
We have a battery now, so it makes sense to put in the ignition switch...it is part of the upgrade. I mentioned the tyres...already on the bike: CEAT Secura Neo. I am looking into the numberplate base...will let you know.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 10:10   #186
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 884
Thanked: 517 Times
Default

Hi Sid,
Nice upgrade & restoration. BTW I like the additional horns, but have you used a horn relay? If not, better re-wire with a relay so that the horn switch doesn't get over loaded. And where have you found the place for mounting the toggle switch and how do you route the wires into the head?

"taking advantage of technological advances in the last 30 - 35 years in the automobile sector" - Any idea of a Cat-Con or a HID? Your statement reminds me of my dad's Vijai Super M-II, where I have incorporated a "Pass - button" like you have in motor cycles these days. The scooter had a provision to accomodate a switch on the gear actuation side too. I filled that space with another headlamp dipper switch and the horn botton does the PASS job. It has an indicator too. The indicator switch had been mounted on a small bracket fastened with the rear view mirror clamp.

From a autospare shop in our neighbourhood I was able to locate parts like rear brake cams, floor strip caps, a peculier screw nut which you can see in Saurabh's number plate, Brake and clutch actuation arms (engine side), cotters for accelerator & gear rotor, 1 Vijai Super exhaust muffler, Handle bar bushes, to name a few. If some one would need any such components I would be glad to help you procure and parcel them for you. Literally those components are lying as dead stock which that guy will happily sell them off than scrapping them.

-Ilango
ilangop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 10:38   #187
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Sid,
Nice upgrade & restoration. BTW I like the additional horns, but have you used a horn relay? If not, better re-wire with a relay so that the horn switch doesn't get over loaded. And where have you found the place for mounting the toggle switch and how do you route the wires into the head?

"taking advantage of technological advances in the last 30 - 35 years in the automobile sector" - Any idea of a Cat-Con or a HID? Your statement reminds me of my dad's Vijai Super M-II, where I have incorporated a "Pass - button" like you have in motor cycles these days. The scooter had a provision to accomodate a switch on the gear actuation side too. I filled that space with another headlamp dipper switch and the horn botton does the PASS job. It has an indicator too. The indicator switch had been mounted on a small bracket fastened with the rear view mirror clamp.

From a autospare shop in our neighbourhood I was able to locate parts like rear brake cams, floor strip caps, a peculier screw nut which you can see in Saurabh's number plate, Brake and clutch actuation arms (engine side), cotters for accelerator & gear rotor, 1 Vijai Super exhaust muffler, Handle bar bushes, to name a few. If some one would need any such components I would be glad to help you procure and parcel them for you. Literally those components are lying as dead stock which that guy will happily sell them off than scrapping them.

-Ilango
Thanks Ilango! My mech seems to think of every small thing, but I'll ask him about the relay. I'm not yet sure where exactly the toggle switch will be mounted, somewhere close to the headlight/horn switches would be ideal. The wires are routed through one of those holes at the bottom of the headset. I haven't considered a cat con...that would involve cutting open the silencer, right? HID!!!!! I knew there was something that slipped my mind! I'll go with the halogen for now, later will see if it's feasible to fit a HID kit. My mech says he can do a CDI conversion too, for around 3K, but right now, I'm not going for it. Maybe later...
Forgot to mention, the braking system on the scooter has been upgraded to the Vijai's braking system, as that has more "bite".
About the parts...all for Vijais, right? Any Lambretta parts? Don't need any now, but will let you know. Are they of good quality? Most locally available mufflers are terrible, fit for scrap only. They make your scoot sound like an autorickshaw!
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 13:49   #188
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 884
Thanked: 517 Times
Default

Hi Sid,
Nice that you got a good mechanic for the restoration. The HID and Cat-Con were a sarcastic remark, neither would I go for such mods. About the CDI system, I had a idea of contacting the SIL dealer for the flywheel & stator plate. Haven't been there as I have to travel far from my home. But I need some advice from experts.

The SIL Vikram 410 CNG has got a 200 CC engine. So the flywheel is supposed to be heavier than the 150CC scooter's. Is there any way one could suggest to remove off some meat out the 200CC flywheel at make it adaptable for the 150CC machine? Has anyone tried such a modification?

Just as you had used a ign key set from Vijai, how do you ensure that the battery circuit is cut-off while at key-off. Actually the MAX-100 R Ign switch will be able to do a better job at this place because, the ignition and the battery circuit both get closed at the first quarter turn of the key, and the second quarter can be used for Headlamp. I had once used a Max-100Rs ign switch in my Vijai Super until I procured a Vijai Ign switch during a visit to B'lore. Only the dia of the MAX-100 ign switch is little lesser than the Vijai's.

Using the MAX-100 switch in Vijai, I had to spare the option of separately switching the tail-lamp & Headlamp. In Vijai the second 1/3 turn is for tail-lamp (Including the speedo bulb and the pilot lamp), and the last 1/3 turn is for the HL. Since you still have the option to separately turning on the tail lamps through the combi switch, the MAX-100 ign switch is more suitable here. Above all I am not campaigning for this modification, please consider it as a sharing of information.
ilangop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 21:50   #189
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

And here we are, in the last chapter of the "Restoration of MEB 1222" book...I will be taking delivery of my restored 1970 API Lambretta over this weekend. We have some electrical issues to be sorted out. The NGK spark plug gave up, so we used a Bosch SP. Then, the stator plate had not been wired properly, and was not delivering enough current. Luckily, I had a spare 12V stator plate, and the mech chose to use that instead. Am also waiting for a silencer chamber to arrive from Delhi, the old one has been welded one too many times.
In the pics, you can see the chrome shock absorber, and a lot of the electrical mods are visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00698.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00699.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00700.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00701.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00702.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00703.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00704.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00705.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00706.jpg  

Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:09   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

WOW thing of Beauty Sidharth, I love the look you get with the chrome stadium style mirrors, are those local?
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 23:34   #191
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
WOW thing of Beauty Sidharth, I love the look you get with the chrome stadium style mirrors, are those local?
Hi Amol! The mirrors are locally available, and cost Rs. 450/- a pair.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:19   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 381
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Excellent job done Sidman. Congrats.
Only one thing is missing - the green plastic head light indicator in the handlebar (indicated in the image). You know what I did in my dad's 1960 Lambretta - I first got a pair of childrens goggles with green plastic glass generally found in the road side hawkers. Removed the green plastic glass cut the same with a pair of sharp scissors, filed that to the shape of original one and fixed the same with Quick Fix.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp lamby.bmp (467.7 KB, 349 views)
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:31   #193
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Excellent job done Sidman. Congrats.
Only one thing is missing - the green plastic head light indicator in the handlebar (indicated in the image). You know what I did in my dad's 1960 Lambretta - I first got a pair of childrens goggles with green plastic glass generally found in the road side hawkers. Removed the green plastic glass cut the same with a pair of sharp scissors, filed that to the shape of original one and fixed the same with Quick Fix.
Oh, I absolutely loved that magical green light; still remember it clearly, as a three-year old, standing on the footboard in front, the magic light illuminating my face with its brilliance and smelling the acrid two-stroke exhaust in the cold of the early winter evenings, as my father took me for a spin in the hills. Was similarly enchanted by the green light on the old Fiat's dashboard as well (although that was a slightly lighter green I think). Aah, those first sights and sounds - ethereal!

Edit: Nice-looking scoot coming up there, Sidman. Cheers.

Last edited by Prabal : 29th August 2009 at 00:33.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 08:22   #194
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,196
Thanked: 1,309 Times
Default

Hey sid, wow!!! Awesome!!

Congrats, your hard work has paid off at last!! 'love the new hues of your scoot! I guess this is close to your dad's scoot?

How I wish (yeah, again!) that I could get to show off my scoot too like this!!

BTW, one question though- I noticed the front frame or wheel/forks seem to be crooked to the right (mine), atleast in this pic.:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-dsc00704.jpg

Or is it just the angle the pic. was taken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Hi Amol! The mirrors are locally available, and cost Rs. 450/- a pair.
I'm definitely in for one! Are they made of chrome or S.steel btw?? And do the fixing clamps/brackets come with them?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 12:06   #195
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Excellent job done Sidman. Congrats.
Only one thing is missing - the green plastic head light indicator in the handlebar (indicated in the image).
Thanks for the good words! The headlight indicator glass is there, in green, red, or blue. I told the mech to try the blue one first, else we'll use green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Edit: Nice-looking scoot coming up there, Sidman. Cheers.
Thanks, Prabal! I have similar memories of riding with my dad, standing in front, on the Lambretta!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey sid, wow!!! Awesome!!

Congrats, your hard work has paid off at last!! 'love the new hues of your scoot! I guess this is close to your dad's scoot?

How I wish (yeah, again!) that I could get to show off my scoot too like this!!

BTW, one question though- I noticed the front frame or wheel/forks seem to be crooked to the right (mine), atleast in this pic.:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-dsc00704.jpg

Or is it just the angle the pic. was taken?

I'm definitely in for one! Are they made of chrome or S.steel btw?? And do the fixing clamps/brackets come with them?
Shyam, aapka number aayegaa! Yup, pretty close to my dad's scoot, just more glossy! It does look like there's a bend at the front, but there is none. There seems to be a problem with just the rim, as I discussed with you. I will replace all the rims shortly. We call these mirrors as "steel mirrors" locally. I guess it's steel that's chrome plated. So you int'd in one mirror, or a pair? Yes, all clamps, screws, etc come with the mirror.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contemporary Scooters / Super Scooters A Photologue r_nairtvm Motorbikes 17 9th June 2015 16:08
My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project SA7VA5 Post-War 25 25th March 2013 11:28
3 recent acquisitions - A Lambretta & 2 Vespas. Update: restoration of 1973 Lambretta wbd8779 Post-War 44 8th January 2012 07:33
Restoration of my 1968 Lambretta girishpv Post-War 6 6th May 2011 16:53
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project SA7VA5 Post-War 167 25th April 2011 17:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks