Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 8th December 2008, 20:04   #1
BHPian

Default My '62 Herald

hi,

I am new to this site. here are some pics of my '62 herald.

vikas
Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th December 2008 at 13:50. Reason: Post split to new thread. Please repost your message about Subodh's car in his thread if required.
LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 13:44   #2
BHPian

very well maintained car buddy.. yu got a nice convertible there.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 13:45   #3
BHPian

Beautiful, it looks excellent with the roof up too, which is not the case with converted convertibles. Do you have [ics of the before resto? If you do, please post them to appreciate even further the work that has gone into making this Herald a joy forever.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 13:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Herald that I have seen in recent times...so immaculate.Could you post some pics of the speedo,Enginebay etc..
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 15:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I may be wrong, but are the front seats original? They look suspiciously like ones from a 118NE.

Otherwise, brilliantly maintained car. More pics and specs please.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I may be wrong, but are the front seats original? They look suspiciously like ones from a 118NE.

Otherwise, brilliantly maintained car. More pics and specs please.
Beautiful, pristine car. Very well maintained. Hats off to you.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 15:57   #7
BHPian

wow, ur herald is awesome , mine not in as good shape, i recently got the engine rebuilt,new pistons ,rings ,valves etc ,

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like,,,this. Thanks.

Also Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
Attached Thumbnails
My '62 Herald-dsc00025.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2008 at 17:34. Reason: see note in post
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 16:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Beautiful, it looks excellent with the roof up too, which is not the case with converted convertibles. Do you have [ics of the before resto? If you do, please post them to appreciate even further the work that has gone into making this Herald a joy forever.
Suren, this too is a converted convertible.

Only a more professional-looking and close to authentic job!

And yes, we MUST have more on the car's story, with pics. before the resto if taken. Pics. taken during the conversion would also be knowledgeable for some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Uh, they very much look original to me- just padded up a little more at the top. All Heralds (even 4-doorers) came with these kind of seats only.

Last edited by Stanher : 9th December 2008 at 16:08.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 16:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, they very much look original to me- just padded up a little more at the top. All Heralds (even 4-doorers) came with these kind of seats only.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Somehow i thought that they looked like 118NE.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 16:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
All Heralds (even 4-doorers) came with these kind of seats only.
Aren't 4-door Heralds called Gazelles?
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 16:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Aren't 4-door Heralds called Gazelles?
'wonder if this will turn out like the coffee-bite ad (the argument continues! )

To explain my above remark, I've long noticed this common confusion between 4-door Heralds and Gazels among many who are knowledgeable about Heralds, abroad as well as in India.
Surprisingly, it has been found in a few books on Heralds as well.

Anyways, 4-door Heralds are NOT the same as the Gazel (this is actually the spelling although "Gazelle" should've normally been correct)

4-door Heralds (a.k.a Standard Herald Mark 3) were very much Heralds in every aspect, the difference just being the number of doors and minor cosmetics (apart from the consistently deteriorating quality as opposed to the earlier CKD-built 2-door Heralds!)

My '62 Herald-mk302.jpg

My '62 Herald-mk304.jpg

Whereas its successor, the Gazel, was an entirely different car altogether- yes, the engine was the same 948cc (with again minor differences) but the suspension was again different, notably the rear axle. Plus the body itself was designed differently- can be noted especially from the (comparitively unattractive!) rear end, plus point of which was that it was the first attempt of an Indian design to a car.

My '62 Herald-gazel_bang.jpg

My '62 Herald-gazel_bang2.jpg

Thus they are very much 2 different cars, never the same.

This post gives more comprehensive information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/264844-post6.html
Old 9th December 2008, 17:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
'wonder if this will turn out like the coffee-bite ad (the argument continues! )

----

Thus they are very much 2 different cars, never the same.

This post gives more comprehensive information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/264844-post6.html
the gazelle is definitely less good looking , and if i am right the gazelle was india specific ,,, am i right ?
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 18:50   #13
BHPian

Hello to all,

Thanks a ton guys for all your positive feedback on my Herald. Alas! I did not click any pictures during the restoration process. Shyam, I must mention here that you seem to be the most ardent Standard-Triumph lover amongst all of us (and I thought it was me all this while!!). A few answers to your queries:

1) As Shyam rightly pointed out, the front seats are original with a bit of extra padding with the best PU foam I could find and new springs. All of this has modified the original shape of the seats but they are super comfy now.

2) The dash is not the original cardboard fitment as it simply crumbled when the meters were taken out. I have got it fabricated in a different shape and got it padded with thin foam. That too has the same beige faux leather. Will be posting pics after I get hold of a meter that has gone for repair. The engine is the very original 948cc which performs okay. But I am planning to get it overhauled. The dynamo has been replaced by an alternator. The oil seals and brake cylinder kits are a pain to locate and so are the e-oil and fuel filters. Am working out an alternative arrangement for all these issues. Any tips, Shyam?

3) Thanks Suren, for your nice compliment for the look with the roof up. You made my day! All my efforts seem to have paid off. These pics are about three months old. Now I am in the process of rebuilding the hood frame again, this time in Aluminium (the present one that you see is in Iron). The reason- it will be much lighter and easy to operate. Plus, no rust problems that I am facing now.

4) For all of you contemplating soft-top modifications on your Heralds, please note that the first step you need to take is to shorten the rear seat to accomodate the hood frame and carve out a part of the rear to make a well for the soft-top to sit in. Will be posting you tips as and when time permits.

Vikas
LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
the gazelle is definitely less good looking , and if i am right the gazelle was india specific ,,, am i right ?
Yes you're right, the gazel was unique to India, as was the 4-door Herald (although the original prototype of the latter was conceived in the UK. One still survives, recently being rescued by the Triumph Sports Six Club, UK)

BTW sidhartha, how about some more pics. of your herald as well?? And you think your car isn't in good nick just because of the engine rebuild?
You've got to see mine!!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th December 2008 at 19:18.
Old 9th December 2008, 20:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Standard Herald was a fine car till the advent of the four door Mark III in 1967, as my friend Stanher sums it up.The two tone coloured (white and blue/red/green )or even the single coloured (grey, white,black and a few other colours) two-door examples were the best and have been more of a survivor as compared to the later examples. Standard Heralds were famous for their rear axle and suspension problems and rear tyre wear. The quality deteriorated due to import restrictions after 1967. Hence many have been scrapped. The Gazels are even rarer than the Herald, though introduced later in 1974, if I am correct.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote