Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 17:24   #46
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiNath View Post
hi KPS

I too am looking for the hood ornament for the 54 dodge and also for the steering wheel. please suggest where did you find it. Also if any websites where i can find all the rubber parts for the 54 convertible. Also the Dodge badging for the Boot is missing in my car.

Thanks
Hood ornament I got on ebay.

For the other parts please check http://www.oldmoparts.com/

All the very best


Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:51   #47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 94 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Hi everyone. Could anyone help me with the location of the Engine Number and the Chassis Number and if any other identification on the Car for the same. Also were Dodges ever supplied by H M ltd. Or was it alsways supplied by Premier Automobiles.
Please correct me if Im wrong as I ready somewhere that even Plymouths in 54 were rebadged as Dodge for Indian markets. So should the serial numbers be matching Plymouth?
Also, what are the technical specification of the 54 Kingway. I believe Amal Tanna's car is a Kingsway Custom or Deluxe as the Trims are different. Also, Doest the engine capacity differ. Does anyone have a service manual for this Car.
I'm doing a complete ground up restoration for this car.

Thanks
Attached Images
   
AbhiNath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 12:23   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 792
Thanked: 881 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Hi Abhishek,
The Dodge pictured seems neat, what ground up restoration are you talking about? Or is it another dodge??
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 12:53   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiNath View Post
Hi everyone. Could anyone help me with the location of the Engine Number and the Chassis Number and if any other identification on the Car for the same. Also were Dodges ever supplied by H M ltd. Or was it alsways supplied by Premier Automobiles.
Please correct me if Im wrong as I ready somewhere that even Plymouths in 54 were rebadged as Dodge for Indian markets. So should the serial numbers be matching Plymouth?
Also, what are the technical specification of the 54 Kingway. I believe Amal Tanna's car is a Kingsway Custom or Deluxe as the Trims are different. Also, Doest the engine capacity differ. Does anyone have a service manual for this Car.
I'm doing a complete ground up restoration for this car.

Thanks
I'm quite sure that in 54 Premier Auto sold the cars as Dodge, DeSoto and Plymouth - all with different trims. I assume they were mechanically identical. I'm told that the 55 fintail Kingsways had different power output from the 56 (bigger fins). I also think the Dodges were rebadged Plymouths, and existed only for export markets. Bulldogji can you maybe confirm these points?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 13:13   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 792
Thanked: 881 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm quite sure that in 54 Premier Auto sold the cars as Dodge, DeSoto and Plymouth - all with different trims. I assume they were mechanically identical. I'm told that the 55 fintail Kingsways had different power output from the 56 (bigger fins). I also think the Dodges were rebadged Plymouths, and existed only for export markets. Bulldogji can you maybe confirm these points?
Hi Karl,

Walchand Hirachand sold these cars, Premier auto came later. Mechanicals were the same on the 54 Dodge Desoto and Plymouth.The 55 models came with an engine not built in India although the cars were assembled here. From 56, the larger Indian built engines prevailed as these models began assembly in Kurla( if I am not mistaken)

As long as these were imported, the right hand drive examples being made in Canada, they were basically plymouth badged Dodges.

I do not think Hindustan Motors ever sold Chrysler corporation cars, they were agents for General motors.

Team CSA has on their website a 54 Dodge convertible restored by them, maybe Abhishek Nath can contact them for help.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 13:23   #51
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm quite sure that in 54 Premier Auto sold the cars as Dodge, DeSoto and Plymouth - all with different trims. I assume they were mechanically identical. I'm told that the 55 fintail Kingsways had different power output from the 56 (bigger fins). I also think the Dodges were rebadged Plymouths, and existed only for export markets. Bulldogji can you maybe confirm these points?
The 54 Dodge Convertibles were basically 54 Plymouth Belvedere (Model P25). The Kingsway is the export model of Dodge

If you see the engine number, it will start with D P-25 (basically P25), indicating re-badged Plymouth

Here is a picture from my car
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img2011111900138.jpg

On the Chassis, I had noted P24 being stamped. I cannot recollect where but my guess now it that this the front engine mount.
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img2011111900136.jpg

The chassis number can be clearly seen below the left fender. Please turn the wheel fully one side (to the right, I think) and you will find it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 4th April 2014 at 13:24.
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 13:41   #52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 94 Times
Default

The car has come back from paint and assembly started.
Attached Thumbnails
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929823825.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929853322.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929867176.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929883282.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929898233.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929916192.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929937342.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405929979308.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930016224.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930033512.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930055772.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930078452.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930098712.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930133691.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930152502.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1405930230898.jpg  

AbhiNath is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 18:15   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: patiala
Posts: 110
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

What a beauty.excellent job. Who did the restoration in Jaipur.
hps aulakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 19:51   #54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 94 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Finally the Car is done. All Body work, new electricals, new upholstery, Engine overhauled. New tyres wheel caps. Only the Steering Emblem and the Hood monogram are not in good condition. Also the Side trims are in a little bad shape.
Attached Thumbnails
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img_20140816_162502902_hdr.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img_20140816_161459756_hdr.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img_20140816_161508734.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img_20140816_161518463.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img_20140816_161648661.jpg  

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img_20140816_161639095_hdr.jpg  

AbhiNath is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 21:11   #55
BHPian
 
Twinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coorg
Posts: 339
Thanked: 278 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiNath View Post
Finally the Car is done. All Body work, new electricals, new upholstery, Engine overhauled. New tyres wheel caps. Only the Steering Emblem and the Hood monogram are not in good condition. Also the Side trims are in a little bad shape.
Nice Car, good restoration.

Please get some better pics for us, it really deserves a magazine photo shoot!!

Out of curiosity, shouldnt the backend be a bit lower? It looks raised and not symmetrical with the front end.
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 21:34   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 792
Thanked: 881 Times
Default re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Nice Car, good restoration.

Please get some better pics for us, it really deserves a magazine photo shoot!!

Out of curiosity, shouldnt the backend be a bit lower? It looks raised and not symmetrical with the front end.
You are correct. The rear Springs are the most likely cause. Hopefully they will be re cambered to correct specifications.

A decent effort with room for improvement. The seat finish , the inside frame of the front windscreen fitment, the courtesy light fitted on the driver side seat lower frame would surely foul efforts to adjust the seat , the carpet fitting, incorrect rear view mirror, missing trims on both rear fenders, absence of the step plate embellisher, etc.

A good effort nonetheless ! Hope you enjoy many hours of pleasure with this delightful car
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 09:50   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,096 Times
Default A 1954 DeSoto Convertible

R. Bhoopathy shares the following pictures of his '54 DeSoto Convertible. He states that it was used by ex-prime minister Indira Gandhi during her election campaign at Madurai in 1979.

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-1.jpg

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  120.1 KB

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-3.jpg

Name:  4a.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  87.3 KB

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-4b.jpg

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-4c.jpg

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  76.3 KB

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-6.jpg

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-7.jpg

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-8.jpg

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-9.jpg

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-10.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 11:50   #58
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: A 1954 DeSoto Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
R. Bhoopathy shares the following pictures of his '54 DeSoto Convertible. He states that it was used by ex-prime minister Indira Gandhi during her election campaign at Madurai in 1979.
Thanks GTO. If Mr. Bhoopathy still owns the car and if you think fit, perhaps you could tell him the following: There is a support visible on the carb side of the engine which I have circled in red. Chances are that that support is to be attached to the air filter housing to keep it rigid. Since it's already there and if it actually a support for the air filter like I think it is, he could attach it back to the air filter housing. Pic attached with support highlighted.

1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-8.jpg

Regards
mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 13:02   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 792
Thanked: 881 Times
Default Re: A 1954 DeSoto Convertible

Hi mbz180,

The reason the air cleaner supporting bracket is not attached is because the air cleaner housing is incorrect. This housing is perhaps that which came with later model Ambassadors fitted with the solex carbs.

Several things, mechanical and cosmetic are incorrect on the car and can be pointed out if the owner wishes to have our inputs.

But lets just agree that it is nice to see these cars kept running in whatever manner.
Bulldogji is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 17:48   #60
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,658 Times
Default Re: A 1954 DeSoto Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Thanks GTO. If Mr. Bhoopathy still owns the car and if you think fit, perhaps you could tell him the following: There is a support visible on the carb side of the engine which I have circled in red. Chances are that that support is to be attached to the air filter housing to keep it rigid. Since it's already there and if it actually a support for the air filter like I think it is, he could attach it back to the air filter housing. Pic attached with support highlighted. Regards mbz180
Dear mbz180 - as Bulldogji has mentioned (sahebji Hormusji saaheb, and thanks ), the air cleaner and carburettor are of Premier Padmini. This Padmini carburettor specification is MCS1049, which is with external vent, with provision for vacuum advance with the combination metal pipe, with a lowered venturi locator but without the accelerating pump. The original venturi size of this carburettor is 22mm which will not work optimally with the 6 cylinder engine, this car will require 25mm venturi. Also, original main jet size of this carburettor is 97.5, this car will require minimum 140 size main jet. Both these parts were used in Jeep with the F4-134 petrol engine so they should be procureable. Normally, starting from this initial setting, optimization is done on the engine dynamometer but for one car this can be done by observing acceleration performance and evaluation of "pinging under gentle gradient" on the road. Pinging should start @ 45 kmph and disappear at around 55 kmph in top gear 9this must be 3 speed gearbox). For this, static ignition timing should come to around 5 degrees BTDC or thereabouts with a 30 degree dwell angle. Bigger air cleaner will also be required to handle the additional mass flow. This can be calculated from linear piston speed in m/s.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible KPS Post-War 174 7th August 2017 03:43
Pics : Chevrolet Impala's+ Dodge Kingsway + Dodge Dart v12 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 50 17th October 2015 18:58
DeSoto Diplomat Deluxe 1954 kurundwad Post-War 18 7th February 2014 20:50
(Pics)DeSoto Custom sedan in Pune. sajo Post-War 4 13th February 2007 11:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks