Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 22:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,681 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
Hi all Seniors
I am posting a few pictures of my 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine this bike still fires however it has been a year now i have not had a chance to visit my native place and talk to it. I will be getting this bike to Mumbai soon because i am not in India at the moment
rawath The engine I believe is Villiers and not Villers- I hope you will let us know the correct spelling.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 00:41   #17
BHPian
 
TuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Tuff Ryder- I think you are quite right when you say the Ensign had a 148 cc engine. it was lighter to look at.The Prince looked a bit more muscular and I am not sure whether it had the 148 cc or 175 cc engine? Let me verify this fact too.
Anjan: The Prince was a 148 cc engine, what I was wondering was if the Ensign I and the Prince shared the same engine.
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 09:03   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

It says Villers on the engine and the clutch cover

Anjan i reckon you had this question in your mind because of the following reason

"In 1962 the Enfield Cycle Company was purchased by E & HP Smith, who also owned Alpha Bearings. By 1967, only one machine was still in production, the Interceptor, but only the engine was manufactured in the Westwood quarry. This was uneconomical, so the large Redditch factory was sold and the complete production system moved to Westwood. At the same time, an agreement between Norton Villiers and E & HP Smith turned over production of the Interceptor to Norton Villers. But, because of certain difficulties, another agreement transferred the marketing rights back to the Enfield company. The third manufacturer involved in the story is Veloce Ltd, who purchased the complete spares and service department.

Cheers !!
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 10:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,681 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
It says Villers on the engine and the clutch cover

Anjan i reckon you had this question in your mind because of the following reason

"In 1962 the Enfield Cycle Company was purchased by E & HP Smith, who also owned Alpha Bearings. By 1967, only one machine was still in production, the Interceptor, but only the engine was manufactured in the Westwood quarry. This was uneconomical, so the large Redditch factory was sold and the complete production system moved to Westwood. At the same time, an agreement between Norton Villiers and E & HP Smith turned over production of the Interceptor to Norton Villers. But, because of certain difficulties, another agreement transferred the marketing rights back to the Enfield company. The third manufacturer involved in the story is Veloce Ltd, who purchased the complete spares and service department.

Cheers !!
Thats a nice and informative update rawath
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 20:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,681 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Anjan: The Prince was a 148 cc engine, what I was wondering was if the Ensign I and the Prince shared the same engine.
British motorcycle manuals, parts, spares and electrics says that the Ensign and the Prince shared the 148 cc engine.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:40   #21
BHPian
 
TuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
British motorcycle manuals, parts, spares and electrics says that the Ensign and the Prince shared the 148 cc engine.
Thanks for the info Anjaan. A few months back I let go of an original condition Prince, still had 50% of its original paint and decals on it, original smith's and amal and various other parts. It was for 7k. I let go of it for lack of Documents. Had problems with two bikes before and did not want to take the chance again.
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 07:29   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

A few crusaders are soaring in the country, dont know where they were till now and suddenly every 10th mistry has it for sale
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 16:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,329
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
A few crusaders are soaring in the country, dont know where they were till now and suddenly every 10th mistry has it for sale
And surely for an obscene price!

BTW, the ones I've noticed have the spelling as 'Villiers'.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 10:55   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Andheri (East), Mumbai 400069.
Posts: 40
Thanked: 2 Times
Default A Crusader's parked in my garage!

Hi guys!
I happen to own an Enfield Crusader of my own. The little punter is still in its original black paint, with badges and the like. The only thing missing is the original carb and for lack of that, I've got the old girl going on a Rajdoot carb for now. I am on the look out for the original carb but I must admit, I have tried quite hard but of no avail. What I also wanted to know is the quantity of engine oil (and which grade) required to be filled into the 175cc Villiers mill. If someone has a workshop manual, I would be grateful if they could mail me a scanned copy to 'kylohere@gmail.com'.
Thanks and regards,
Kyle
kylohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 12:48   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hello dear Crusader owner,

I can help you find one Villiers carb that came with the bike and a manual too however i am not anywhere close to India at the moment, you can wait untill May !!

Do post the pics of your liitle RE if you can it will be a treat to watch one with an original black paint.

Cheers to you for possesing it till now.
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 00:56   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Andheri (East), Mumbai 400069.
Posts: 40
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Hey Rawath!
Thanks for the good news! I can certainly wait till May. As soon as I get hold of a decent camera, and the time to click away, the photos will be here for all to see.
Take care and ride safe.
kylohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 18:19   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 6 Times
Default My Power My Passion My Beat - Royal Enfield Sherpa Villiers 175CC

Hi

I am a proud owner of this little one from the RE Family.

I am posting a few pictures of my Sherpa a.k.a Chotu as a treat for all the Royal Enfield fans. I also have a 1966 and a 1977 Bull however i am not in India at the moment and miss them a lot.

The best sound to my years is Tuk, Tuk, Tuk, Tuk

Ride Safe friends
Attached Thumbnails
My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008001.jpg  

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008002.jpg  

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008003.jpg  

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008004.jpg  

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008005.jpg  

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008006.jpg  

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-19052008.jpg  

82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 19:44   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

82Rawath,

WOW. That is one very beautiful vintage RE man. Take good care of her. Cheers to your Sherpa.
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 19:51   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Cheers JayPrashanth !!

Thank you, she is a 1969 and still fires the same
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:41   #30
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Thumbs up Beautiful Bull!

That's a really beautiful bike you've got there!
How frequently do you ride? And more to the point, which mechanic do you trust with her?
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 BlackPearl Long-Term Ownership Reviews 121 1st November 2017 22:06
Rajdoot 175cc 1969 (Cekop/SHL M11) insaneinsaan Post-War 114 29th July 2013 17:07
Royal Enfield Crusader 175cc Villers trammway Post-War 19 2nd April 2011 15:44
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks