Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:00   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
Thank you all for appreciating my Sherpa

I will be restoring this bike with the original parts which i have collected so far like, Original Taillight and the Number plate, Silencer, Villers Carb, Handle bar with a button like horn on it and the choke lever

I will start working on my classic bikes when i return to India during the monsoons

If you all have noticed, the silencer is on the left side as comapred to Crusader which is on the right side.

Thankyou Anjan, Tuff Ryder, Steeroid and Stanher for mentioning the sagaa of the RE. I am not an expert on these but what i know is i do have a passion and liking towards the classic's

As far as i know first one in this light segment was Prince 1950's, Sherpa 1965 and begining of the 70's, Crusader 1972 and end of 80's, Mini Bullet 1980 and late 80's

I have a 1966 RE 350CC Military bullet also which is being restored at the moment in my absence

Keep up the good work guys !!
@ 82 raw : Your willingness to bring your Sherpa to its stock glory must be appreciated.
Few facts about sherpa :
* Both Sherpa & Crusader have the Exhausts on the Left side only.
** Both share the same chassis( there was lot of changes in the cycle parts though !!)
*** Sherpha came in two guises one with Villiers 173cc engine ( Kick start) & other with a " SIBA- Dyna start" (self start), this SDS came in very few numbers I presume!! ( I have a unrestored one with me)
**** This SDS bikes had the " TRICON" switches mounted on the left side of the handle bar the other one as yours had the round "Horn cum dip swith".
***** Regarding tank badge ( Tuffryder to note!!) the tank badge was a Aluminuim sheet embossed " Royal Enfeild with the same steel Arsenal
Sherpa"
as back ground as in all our regular Bullets ( will try to post pics of the original Badge Or atleast the pic from the maual.
***** It also has a choke lever ( Amal) fixed on to the right near the Twist grip, to enhance the villiers carb cold start.

ps; All the above content is from my memory will come after going through the manual & my 30% Sherpa
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th September 2009, 20:29   #47
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
@ 82 raw : Your willingness to bring your Sherpa to its stock glory must be appreciated.
Few facts about sherpa :
* Both Sherpa & Crusader have the Exhausts on the Left side only.
** Both share the same chassis( there was lot of changes in the cycle parts though !!)
*** Sherpha came in two guises one with Villiers 173cc engine ( Kick start) & other with a " SIBA- Dyna start" (self start), this SDS came in very few numbers I presume!! ( I have a unrestored one with me)
**** This SDS bikes had the " TRICON" switches mounted on the left side of the handle bar the other one as yours had the round "Horn cum dip swith".
***** Regarding tank badge ( Tuffryder to note!!) the tank badge was a Aluminuim sheet embossed " Royal Enfeild with the same steel Arsenal
Sherpa"
as back ground as in all our regular Bullets ( will try to post pics of the original Badge Or atleast the pic from the maual.
***** It also has a choke lever ( Amal) fixed on to the right near the Twist grip, to enhance the villiers carb cold start.

ps; All the above content is from my memory will come after going through the manual & my 30% Sherpa
Things went " long time No post" in this Royal Enfeild SHERPA thread:
any way lam posting few pics from the manual.
@ Tuffryder; note the tank badge (monogram)
@ 82 raw : Note the Silencer at Left side
also Handle bar controls ( a Wipa TRICON switch for both guises,wether kick start or Siba-dyna start)
Attached Thumbnails
My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-sherpa.jpg  

powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

it looks more like a rajdoot. was this made to compete with the rajdoot??
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 21:18   #49
BHPian

As far as I know about Sherpa, since my father had it and later moved to Rajdoot, Sherpa was a better performer than Rajdoot in terms of higher speed and overall performance. According to my father, Sherpa lacked mileage, which was around 16 KMPL, and the spareparts were not easy to procure. It had 4 gears, where Rajdoot had 3.
glomus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 21:29   #50
BHPian

I think you can read the badge in this photo. It is Sherpa India. My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-1.jpg
glomus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 20:20   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Crusader was replaced by the Enfield 200 (available in a two tone coloured petrol tank) sometime in 1978,that was later in the early 1980's called the Mini-Bullet only to prop up sales.
Here's a 200 I saw driven in/used by a mechanic at a local garage recently. First time I'm seeing one of these I guess.

PS: Sorry if cross-posting in this thread.

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-img_3881.jpg

My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine-img_3880.jpg
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 16:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine

Can anyone say the difference between the Sherpa and the Crusader. I remember that the Crusader was fondly called as the mini bullet in good old days.Any history of these two versions available anywhere?

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th November 2011 at 16:21.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 09:56   #53
BHPian

Default Re: My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Can anyone say the difference between the Sherpa and the Crusader. I remember that the Crusader was fondly called as the mini bullet in good old days.Any history of these two versions available anywhere?
Mini-bullet was the Enfield 200, the photo given in the below post. AFAIK Sherpa and Crusader shared a lot of parts, and the difference was mostly cosmetic, I think. Experts can give more information.

Edit: I have a complete Instruction manual and spares catalog of Sherpa back at home, hope to scan and post it in the next visit by early next year.

With thanks and regards

Last edited by glomus123 : 21st November 2011 at 09:58.
glomus123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote