Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 17th February 2009, 12:48   #16
Senior - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One Rover Motego was owned by KidsKemp owner. I used to see it a lot. Been a while I saw it.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 17:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Of course I remember the D1; we'd actually gone by to the showroom as potential customers. One look and the payee name (on the cheque) was changed to "Maruti". Damn, that car was one heck of a shoddy build. Everything was so badly put together that we were left wondering if the local cobbler was in charge of final assembly . My family took a small test-drive too......Dad used to drive a Tempo in the 70's and found the drive identical!

A car that could be maintained without going back to the manufacturer since it shared a common parts bin with several other more popular vehicles.
I bet. Even the wheel caps were lifted from a Padmini.

CAN we talk about the Rover Montego in this thread please?????? Also a model called Montana xxxxx something?
Thread Linky
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 17:40   #18

A friend of mine had bought this car some time in 1994-95 & he used to drive it like a maniac. He wanted to drive it like a sports car & had even removed the rear seats to make it light. Because of this we could sit as many as 5 ppl in the back. I even remember getting that car painted by a local painter just below our building. That was really funny!!!
However 1 incident that I will never forget was the time when the car had rammed into a Premier Padmini. The Padmini's running board was damaged quite badly, but there was not even a single scratch on the car. The Padmini driver was badly shaken but my friend was totally nonchalant about the whole incident.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 07:28   #19
Default Re: Sipani D1

Greetings BHPians,

My tryst with the Sipani D-1 dates back to 1990 when it wheeled in as our 'first car'. We had to place a plastic bucket below its fuel tank as it was leaking on the very first day. The power plant was an 'Autoland' 1.5 litre diesel engine and it was definitely a fine motor. Frequent travels to Mangalore and Udupi involved a prior visit to the mechanic and the preperation was very close to a NASA shuttle launch. Reaching our destination, we used to find our faces and palms blackened with soot (possibly a ruptured exhaust pipe).
But all these misgivings do not match the immense pleasure and pure joy that our family had experienced with this car. Fond memories!!!!!!!!!!

Ajith Anand Shetty
ajithshetty is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote