Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 00:37   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Harit uncle the car you talk off has come to our place for restoration.
I am aware, my post was before that event.
So good luck to your restoration and the owner.
Remember that the task is not easy, the black car was also lying at your place and moved on to Chennai. I understand that finally she was done over there. It is really a tough task, the black car was earlier in United Motors and they also did not get the car up.
So, good luck. Will you take us for a drive when she is restored?
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:56   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am aware, my post was before that event.
So good luck to your restoration and the owner.
Remember that the task is not easy, the black car was also lying at your place and moved on to Chennai. I understand that finally she was done over there. It is really a tough task, the black car was earlier in United Motors and they also did not get the car up.
So, good luck. Will you take us for a drive when she is restored?
I just mentioned it, as it was coincidence that you mentioned of this car and it had come to our place. I do not think there would be another 600 with the same issue. I was in no way trying to test your knowledge or awareness of where cars go in India. Nothing gets hidden from you. Sorry if i offended you by mentioning of this 600.
I am not aware of another 600 if that is what you are talking off at our place. This is the first one. The other black car (250/280) i think with air suspension was only to be parked not worked upon by us. I agree it is tough but not immpossible uncle,5 yrs standing at one place and getting eaten away by water does take its toll on a car.
You would have to ask the owner to take you or anyone else for a drive as i am not in liberty to do so .

Last edited by speedy : 18th August 2009 at 12:04.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 14:22   #78
BHPian
 
wartikars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 168
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Apart from governments and the Pope, famous owners of the 600 include celebrities such as Coco Chanel, Hugh Hefner, Elizabeth Taylor, John Lennon, George Harrison, Jay Kay, Aristotle Onassis, Jack Nicholson, Simon Spies, Bob Jane, Frank Packer, Elvis Presley, Rowan Atkinson and Jeremy Clarkson, Communist leaders include Nicolae Ceauşescu, Josip Broz-Tito, Fidel Castro, Pol Pot, Enver Hoxha, Leonid Brezhnev,, Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong-Il also owns landauet (as seen on a parade in Pyongyang with Chinese prime minister, Oct. 2009) and religious leader Guru Maharaj Ji. African revolutionaries Idi Amin Dada, Jomo Kenyatta and the former Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos had four 600s including a Landaulet, a 1981 bulletproof and a six-door version.[citation needed]
Iran royal court and Iran's Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi owned multiple 600 models that were used for official and personal use of the late Shah and his court. Some of them were sold after the 1978 islamic revolution and about a dozen of them are in the National Car Museum of Iran in Karaj
Other notable owners include Saddam Hussein, F W Klerk.
Mao Zedong in fact never owned a 600, but rather the Russian made ZIS-110 (as gifts given by Joseph Stalin) and latter the Chinese made FAW Hongqi CA72 and armored CA722. However, former Foreign Minister Chen Yi, Deng Xiaoping, wife of the first Chinese Primier Zhou Enlai - Deng Yingchao, and the former King of Cambodia Norodom Sihanouk when he fled to Beijing after Cambodian coup of 1970 all used 600.


The model came in two main variants:
  • Short wheelbase
    4-door sedan, similar to a modern S600 sedan in layout.
    4-door sedan, but with a power divider window separating the front seats from the rear bench seat.
  • Long wheelbase chassis Pullman
    4-door limousine, featuring additional two rear-facing seats behind the driver compartment which was separated by a power divider window (in all but three built)
    6-door limousine, with two forward facing jump seats stationed at the additional middle two doors and a rear bench seat.
Source: Wikipedia

If I am able to buy one I will surely have it in my collection.
wartikars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:07   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
Iran royal court and Iran's Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi owned multiple 600 models that were used for official and personal use of the late Shah and his court. Some of them were sold after the 1978 islamic revolution and about a dozen of them are in the National Car Museum of Iran in Karaj
Other notable owners include Saddam Hussein, F W Klerk.
Mao Zedong in fact never owned a 600, but rather the Russian made ZIS-110 (as gifts given by Joseph Stalin) and latter the Chinese made FAW Hongqi CA72 and armored CA722. However, former Foreign Minister Chen Yi, Deng Xiaoping, wife of the first Chinese Primier Zhou Enlai - Deng Yingchao, and the former King of Cambodia Norodom Sihanouk when he fled to Beijing after Cambodian coup of 1970 all used 600.
The second 600 in India is a short wheel base which belonged to the Shah of Iran. The Iranians had sent that car to India as an Embassy car and sold her to STC. From STC she went to a collector who kept her in a garage for repairs, then she moved to another collector who is having her worked on in Mumbai. Wonder how far she has reached.
The Chinese had 6 or so Mercedes 600's, one ended up in an automobile factory to see if they could copy some features. It was too complicated, when china started opening up a German found this car in that factory and managed to take her home.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 20:28   #80
BHPian
 
GordonGekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The second 600 in India is a short wheel base which belonged to the Shah of Iran. The Iranians had sent that car to India as an Embassy car and sold her to STC. From STC she went to a collector who kept her in a garage for repairs, then she moved to another collector who is having her worked on in Mumbai. Wonder how far she has reached.
The Chinese had 6 or so Mercedes 600's, one ended up in an automobile factory to see if they could copy some features. It was too complicated, when china started opening up a German found this car in that factory and managed to take her home.

Cheers harit
That's just so typical. Haha.

Btw, what is "STC"?
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 14:42   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

State Trading Corporation
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mercedes benz s 600 stretch. Cyrus43 Super-Cars & Imports in India 7 7th August 2007 14:30
Honda CBR 600 spotted in borivali tazz_rules Superbikes & Imports 11 10th August 2006 03:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks