Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 20th July 2010, 00:13   #2041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The tail lights are not original to your car. They should have reflector in the middle and should be aluminium, since your's a superselect. The number plate lights should also be aluminium.

By clean I meant original and that was relative to some other car, In no way I meant to offend any one.

And you said you have a 58 also, I would definitely love to see her to increase my database.
As far as i know super selects did not come with centre reflectors and i am open to suggestions of others in this regard. Ofcourse i have to search for aluminuium units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
@manish. i have seen many speeding padminis, S1s and delights. but this is the only select i saw speeding over 120kmph
I would like to thank both you and arun 1100 for the compliments and i will try to keep the vehicle in best condition as far as possible.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th July 2010 at 00:30. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
ARUN.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:28   #2042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post
As far as i know super selects did not come with centre reflectors and i am open to suggestions of others in this regard. Ofcourse i have to search for aluminuium units.
They very much did come with reflectors. In fact they were the first fin-tail fiats to have them incorporated within the tail-lamp lens. Only the tail-lens on SELECTS came sans reflector.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 14:50   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post

I would like to thank both you and arun 1100 for the compliments and i will try to keep the vehicle in best condition as far as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
They very much did come with reflectors. In fact they were the first fin-tail fiats to have them incorporated within the tail-lamp lens. Only the tail-lens on SELECTS came sans reflector.
Hope Arun your query is resolved. If you still further have any queries I will be please to help you. Also when can I come and see your 1958 .
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 18:25   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Myself and Arun spotted this starlined President at an alignment center. It is running on the original engine. Its a daily runner and is used a minimum 40kms EVERY day ever since 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Apart from the rust on the doors, the car looks like in ship-shape.
This is a nice car for an interesting project - with a good tin guy / denter, and a lot of patience, one can make this look very close to the original Fiat 1100 D estate - complete with monograms and all - what say ??

A practical question for Gurus: In this car, the C pillar has been moved to the end, and in place of the original C pillar, there's a very very thin pillar. Does this compromise on rigidity ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^^ Yes I agree. I spoke to the driver the other day. He said the owner is very passionate about the car and a restoration is around the corner. He is not just finding the time as of now.

By the way, this is a P. President for sure, even the number says the same thing. However, making it a Fiat 1100 D estate would be too good.
Hello Guys,

The above post brought back a lot of memories from 1974 to 79 in an around Bangalore! I never thought I will see MEO 4410 again ever

If I am not mistaken totally the owner of that will be really passionate about that Car. If any of you had a chance to look up the original registered owner of the car you will know what I mean. It was the utility car of one of the "God Men" in South India and has some of his bases in Karnataka

It is a 1973 President brought to Bangalore in April 1974. I was part of the team of 3 that ferried the car from Bombay to Bangalore. The strict instructions were that the rear seat is to be inaugurted by the God Man and hence all three of us had to sit in the front seat only

The car must be with one of the deciples of the God man and no doubt he is passionate about it.

It was taken care of very well between 1974 and 1979, I am happy to see it alive and kicking even today.

Thanks fynkykar and Arun

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 20:08   #2045
BANNED

hello FCBians,

FCB's stickers will be ready by Wednesday, 21st July. We will be having an small meet on 30th July to welcome all the new members of Namma FIAT club. Also deliver the stickers to the members who have order them.

regards
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 20:58   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello Guys,

The above post brought back a lot of memories from 1974 to 79 in an around Bangalore! I never thought I will see MEO 4410 again ever

It was taken care of very well between 1974 and 1979, I am happy to see it alive and kicking even today.

Thanks fynkykar and Arun
Its very very heartening to know the history of this car. For a daily runner like this, its been maintained excellently, however, it would be far better if restored. The care taker who had got it to the alignment center did confirm that it is to undergo a restoration (tin and paint) shortly. How good was the engine? When he drove away, the exhaust note told all the story. Super duper it sounded!
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:55   #2047
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arun / Karthik / R Nairtvm - today I want to share something with you which I have not told on the forum. You all know that I worked in the R&D department of The Premier Automobiles Ltd from April 1984 to February 1985. Before that, I worked as a college trainee in The Premier Automobiles Ltd from December 1976 to May 1977.

What I want to share today bears resemblance to MEO4410. If you see the number 4410 and add 4+4+1+0, you get the total as 9. You will appreciate that the addition of the digits of any number will finally add upto a number between 1 and 9. e.g.4919 means 4+9+1+9=23 and 2+3=5, which is a number between 1 and 9 (both included).

The beauty is this - The MD of PAL was Mr.J.M.Vakil. His lucky number was 9. Therefore, there were numerous cars in PAL whose registration number added upto 9. He also preferred a repititive number. Some of the cars were MMD2979 (Mr.P.N.Venkatesan's blue / white top 1976 Padmini, the first car with AC, having reciprocating compressor), MMY2772, Mr.Vakil's 1977 golden Padmini and MMY4545, Mr.Vakil's dark green Padmini. In R&D when I joined in 1984, I saw MMY4248 which was VP Engineering Mr.C.V.Gopalarao's car, MMY4824 an R&D prototype, MMY4833, MMY4842 the Padmini Deluxe with 7.8:1 compression ratio engine, MMY4851, MMY6093, the first brown Nissan Sunny imported from Japan, MZM7245, the first prototype 118NE car used by GM (R&D) Mr.G.Y.Bhatt, MMY8055, the first light blue Nissan Sunny Station Wagon, imported from Japan and MAM5139, the first white Nissan Sunny economy model car. Seeing all this, I also started liking the number 9. Therefore, when my father bought our Padmini Deluxe fromthe showroom of Maha Auto on 25 November 1977, I went to the Mumbai RTO and got the number MMF1845. Our first 1984 white Maruti 800 was MAS720. My 1984 original Japanese blue Ind Suzuki bike which I still have and which I will never sell is MAV1494. Even my Luna which my father bought for me in 1983 was MMM936.

So, what is so special about the number 9? My teacher in PAL, Anil Patel used to show me and prove to me that there would be something special in a 9 number car. Either the upholstery would be good, the paint would be nice, the engine would be great, but something would be there. Even now when I see a number 9 car, I subconciously look for something different and mostly I find it.

Now you only see, MEO4410 has survived all these years, that itself is testimony that there is something in the number 9.

Nowadays it has become quite costly to get a number of your choice so finally I gave up. I amhappy with whatever number i get. That's why my left hand drive Padmini is MH01YA3238, which adds upto 7 and not 9.

Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 00:32   #2048
BANNED

Hi all,

Nice info Mr. Dhabhar. Even my Padmini's registration number adds-up to as well as ends with "9" [CAP 6579]. According to me my car is really special, 32years old, even god won't know how many previous owners, etc etc, Its still one of the Best Padmini's to drive, feel, look
Greatest aspect of my car: It was destined to come to me !

Last edited by Sujith1100 : 21st July 2010 at 00:34.
Old 21st July 2010, 00:41   #2049
BANNED

Default 1st August Meet

Hi all and Dear FCBians,

Sorry for posting the wrong date for the casual meet, viz actually on 1st August, Sunday.

Agenda: Welcoming of all the new members, & distributions of the stickers

Venue of Meet will be informed shortly.
Time will be 10am [0010Hrs]

Regards
Old 21st July 2010, 11:28   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Arun / Karthik / R Nairtvm -
Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behramji,

If you had joined PAL 3 years earlier, you would have known more about MEO 4410. It was a VVIP Car. The Car was a gift from Walchand Family to the "God Man". The body build at Starline was also carried out under the supervision from PAL engineers (I think even the body build cost was paid for by PAL/Walchands).

May be that explains the longivity of this car

We took delivery of the car at Starline and drove it over to Bangalore.

As I mentioned the rear seat was inaugurate by the God Man with Drive in Bangalore along with some one from Walcahnd family (I don't remember the name and Mr. Java of Joy Ice Creams, Bombay).

Yes, this God Man was also very fixated on having number plates totalling to 9. MEE 999, MEO 4329 were some of the numbers I remember him having.

Trivia

# 9 is one of the Prime Numbers according to even modern numerologists. In Hindu and Indian mythology # 9 is referred to as the Brahma Sanghya and lots of rituals are in repeted in number of 9.

Did you know that the total of any number multiplied by # 9 and then reduced to single digit as per the method you have shown will be # 9.

435 x 9 = 3915 = 3+9+1+5 = 18 = 1+8 = 9
676895 x 9 = 6092055 = 6+0+9+2+0+5+5= 27 = 2+7 = 9

Thanks for your observations

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st July 2010 at 11:34.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:48   #2051
BHPian

The information by Dhabhar sir and nairtvm is simply superb. Good memory recall and shows their diehard spirit about fiats. Long live FIATs and yes Number 9 mythology.
Fiat&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:22   #2052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello Guys,

If I am not mistaken totally the owner of that will be really passionate about that Car. If any of you had a chance to look up the original registered owner of the car you will know what I mean. It was the utility car of one of the "God Men" in South India and has some of his bases in Karnataka

Ram
Karthik and me just could not believe that you know about MEO 4410.
When we casually asked the driver about the owner, he said that it belongs to fleet of cars of Swamiji. So this means that its still owned by the Godman. Thanks for sharing the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]
So, what is so special about the number 9? My teacher in PAL, Anil Patel used to show me and prove to me that there would be something special in a 9 number car. Either the upholstery would be good, the paint would be nice, the engine would be great, but something would be there.

Behram Dhabhar
How true! My dad's PP Economy adds to 9 - 2+9+7 = 18 = 1+8 = 9
How lucky this PP 297 was for me? Well, it served very well for all my three sisters' wedding, this car introduced me to this crazy world of FIATians, partly responsible for formation of FCB too etc etc!

My Economy's upholstery is just like new as my dad had always covered it with seat covers. First time I saw the original black upholstery was few months back when I removed the seat covers as I was tempted to see the net behind the seat!

You were lucky to have such a teacher in PAL

Last edited by arun1100 : 22nd July 2010 at 06:37.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:05   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Just after reading this I ran to see my father new car and the total is "9".
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:53   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Just after reading this I ran to see my father new car and the total is "9".
Manish,

Good to hear that.

But remember in any given series of numbers (eg KL 01 A 1-9999) every 9th number would be totaling to 9 and hence, not rare as such

I believe, it is the repititive numbers in any number and totalling to 9 that makes a '9' plate more fancier. Behramji had poited out few numbers which demonstrates this - "Some of the cars were MMD2979, MMY2772, MMY4545, MMY4248, MMY4824, MMY4833, MMY4842, MMY8055", 333, 666, 99, 999, 252, 6336, 6366, 2952, 9522, 171, 3600, 3006, 3033, etc etc

Best Regards & Ride/Drive Safe

Ram
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:59   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Karthik and me just could not believe that you know about MEO 4410.
When we casually asked the driver about the owner, he said that it belongs to fleet of cars of Swamiji. So this means that its still owned by the Godman. Thanks for sharing the history.
Karthik,

I just remembered. This Car was given off for the use of one of Swamijis deciples, and who was incharge of running of the printing press in swamijis campus. This happend in 1977.

I am glad to know that the car has survived for last 33 years inspite of at least one monthly trip from the Ashram to Bangalore GPO to post almost 2 Lakhs odd copies of the Swamijis's monthly news letter.

May be registration is still in the Swamijis name.

Ram