Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 19:10   #2596
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^This is one hell of a killer response Shyam.

You are seeing this from an angle we missed. Yes, these classics are available for dirt cheap (you may not get a good bike for this price), consider Shyam's advice and possibly get both.
Good enough to help kill 2 birds with one stone?

*ahem* Disclaimer: All the same, I'm not in any way insinuating that the padmini can be maintained like this (should he go for one) even as a regular use car:

Name:  poorpad1.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  65.7 KB


Last edited by Stanher : 11th May 2011 at 19:11.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 19:24   #2597
BHPian
 
vinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore/Udupi
Posts: 69
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

EARTHed, funkykar, Stanher, Adheesh, Karthik1100, Manishalive: I want to buy a Fiat/PP not for daily use but to have fun ride that I can take out on weekends.

After reading the advice, I feel I am veering towards the PP. I am a novice when it comes to old cars and I do not even know a good garage in Bangalore who would be able to do all the repairs etc. More over my worry is that will I be able to sustain my interest for a long restoration period. Other than the scrap yard spare shop are there any regular spares shops?

The Fiat 1100, which I had posted here, seems like less cared for as the owner of the car had brought it for a wash and not returned to pick it back for the last 5-6 days!!

There is also this PP 118NE in a abandoned condition! am I really confused
vinboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 19:50   #2598
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 1,709 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Vinboy, if your weekend drives are limited within Bangalore, a pre-PP wouldnt be a issue. Moreover, its a style statement and more and more people would be looking at your car.

118NE is not PP, its just 'P', I mean Premier. This is all together a different ball game. If you get used to its comfort, it would no longer stay as a weekend car

Shyam: CNA is a classic example of how much abuse our oldies still can manage.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 20:13   #2599
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Shyam: CNA is a classic example of how much abuse our oldies still can manage.
Indeed...but for how long is the question. And not that they deserve it all the same. :sigh: :(
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 20:21   #2600
BHPian
 
vinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore/Udupi
Posts: 69
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Vinboy, if your weekend drives are limited within Bangalore, a pre-PP wouldnt be a issue. Moreover, its a style statement and more and more people would be looking at your car.

118NE is not PP, its just 'P', I mean Premier. This is all together a different ball game. If you get used to its comfort, it would no longer stay as a weekend car
Would you be able to guide me to a good workshop in Bangalore which can repair a PP/Fiat/118 NE?
vinboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 20:26   #2601
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 1,709 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Indeed...but for how long is the question. And not that they deserve it all the same. :sigh: :(
No one knows how long. I have seen 10's of PP's used as mini goods carriers and have been in service for years and years. The bodies of these cars would be screwed, engine still keeps chugging well. No newer gen cars except for likes of OMNI can replace these cars in this field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
Would you be able to guide me to a good workshop in Bangalore which can repair a PP/Fiat/118 NE?
This is a difficult question to answer. Well, to be frank there is no ONE STOP garage that you could find easily.

If you got lot of bucks to spare, Premier Land in Jayanagar is good. If you got lot of time to spare in waiting, LCK Autogarage on Lalbagh road is good. He takes a hell of a time to accept a car.

Since you are familiar with old cars and knowlegeable, find a local mechanic near to your home/office and guide him through any service/repairs. This is the best option
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 14:09   #2602
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Greater Bangalore
Posts: 421
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

I heard some of the FCB Club members are going to Hyd tomorrow to finalize the route map and plans for the next month FCB-AP trip. All the best guys. Looking forward for the Trip pics.
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 19:56   #2603
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 175 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Hello,
I was wondering if any of you know whether Indian Fiats came with this chrome strip at the top of the C-pillar as in the photo (please see the photo).

Found this on the net, found it interesting. Any idea anybody has about it and is it available here??

Cheers
Attached Images
 
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 21:04   #2604
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 219 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you know whether Indian Fiats came with this chrome strip at the top of the C-pillar as in the photo (please see the photo).
Hey car love, this is most likely an after market accessory, though it seems of high quality. I have seen similar add ons on many cars/ taxies in Mumbai, but the quality is dodgy, and so it doesn't look nice. I'm sure it's available here !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 12:23   #2605
BHPian
 
Lucas_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GUWAHATI
Posts: 67
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you know whether Indian Fiats came with this chrome strip at the top of the C-pillar as in the photo (please see the photo).

Found this on the net, found it interesting. Any idea anybody has about it and is it available here??

Cheers
Those were available in the markets few years back. In Mumbai you may still get these. Quality is a big issue. I tried them once. Very rust prone. So removed them. Apart from Chrome these were available in plastic too (black in colour)at that time.
Lucas_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 10:49   #2606
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 175 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey car love, this is most likely an after market accessory, though it seems of high quality. I have seen similar add ons on many cars/ taxies in Mumbai, but the quality is dodgy, and so it doesn't look nice. I'm sure it's available here !!
Yes probably its laserjet or hydrojet cut and then chrome plated. I guess we dont have such facilities in India. What a pity. Also i was wondering if you have details about how electroplating is done. Many of our old generation cars rust right through the chrome. I had an old bicycle handle chromed some years ago. It got rusted like crazy through the chrome...I have seldom seen a Merc star or front grill for that matter rust (is it because it is high grade stainless steel or the chrome plating process is done differently?)
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:14   #2607
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 817
Thanked: 499 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Yes probably its laserjet or hydrojet cut and then chrome plated. I guess we dont have such facilities in India. What a pity. Also i was wondering if you have details about how electroplating is done. Many of our old generation cars rust right through the chrome. I had an old bicycle handle chromed some years ago. It got rusted like crazy through the chrome...I have seldom seen a Merc star or front grill for that matter rust (is it because it is high grade stainless steel or the chrome plating process is done differently?)
Yes most of the Mercedes chrome plating was of very high quality, the star however was made of antimony (pot metal). The grille will hardly ever rust, because (atleast on the Ponton and Fintail models) it was made of brass, to which chrome sticks very well.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:41   #2608
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 175 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Thanks a lot, good info, never knew it was made of brass and antimony. I was just doing some research, it seems correct electroplating involves first brass coating and then nickel plating onto which chromium plating is done.Hence rust cant reach the bare metal.... Nobody bothers to do such things here i guess, sadly.
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 12:16   #2609
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,408
Thanked: 615 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Thanks a lot, good info, never knew it was made of brass and antimony. I was just doing some research, it seems correct electroplating involves first brass coating and then nickel plating onto which chromium plating is done.Hence rust cant reach the bare metal.... Nobody bothers to do such things here i guess, sadly.
I think it is copper -nickel - chrome plating. brass is not used in plating. And this is the right process. Also there is specification on thickness of each of the coating. Secondly good cleaning / pre treatment of the part is equally important. Once you follow these, you will have a lasting finish.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 14:58   #2610
BHPian
 
beetle_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]

@Vinboy the reality is its very difficult to get the parts for these old cars now a days. Think before you buy if you really need a collector's piece or a fun piece. If fun piece just go pick up a PP as suggested by our fiat gurus and enjoy fiat.

For restoring an old fiat car will take you months togeather and not assured you will the right part at the right time. I own a millicento 56 model sourcing for parts and under restoration. Please have a look and do let me know if your need any more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...storation.html (My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration)
Not necessary having money, will get the parts.

Regards,
Saleem
beetle_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat 1100 Club of Lucknow samsag12 Post-War 149 26th June 2016 14:14
Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President arun1100 Post-War 49 21st January 2015 19:15
1978 - Fiat 1100 || 2010 - Fiat Grande Punto Emotion MJD! Sujith1100 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 146 25th October 2011 21:53
Fiat goes Off The Road - FCB drives to forests of Chikmagalur! FiatMyLife Travelogues 86 11th January 2011 23:49
Wanted: Fiat 1100: Bangalore khan_sultan Shifting gears 4 22nd June 2009 23:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks