Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 11:02   #541
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,323
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

Sujith took my car to his garage and got it diagnosed. Both Sujith and his mechanic think that this is caused by some play in Differencial and is normal. They suggested that I adjust the clutch to make it work when released half instead of the present setting where it works almost towards the end of the pedal. This way it would take a tad longer to push the clutch. I also may need to apply the clutch a bit slower from now. As far as I think, I am just driving the same way I drive my other cars (118 NE, M800 and 74 President) and did not notice this issue with them.

Also, from my mechanic I found that the Propellor shaft on S1 is unique. Its a single propellor shaft and isnt double like in 118 NE. Both the regular Fiat propellor shaft nor the 118 NE propellor shaft dont fit in directly and needs modification if its to be put on to a S1.

Since we believe, the issue could be with the propellor shaft, I would need a loaner from any S1 to see if it fixes.

Since its a heads up from Sujith and his mechanic, I feel a lot better.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 17:19   #542
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Sujith took my car to his garage and got it diagnosed. Both Sujith and his mechanic think that this is caused by some play in Differencial and is normal. They suggested that I adjust the clutch to make it work when released half instead of the present setting where it works almost towards the end of the pedal. This way it would take a tad longer to push the clutch. I also may need to apply the clutch a bit slower from now. As far as I think, I am just driving the same way I drive my other cars (118 NE, M800 and 74 President) and did not notice this issue with them.

Also, from my mechanic I found that the Propellor shaft on S1 is unique. Its a single propellor shaft and isnt double like in 118 NE. Both the regular Fiat propellor shaft nor the 118 NE propellor shaft dont fit in directly and needs modification if its to be put on to a S1.

Since we believe, the issue could be with the propellor shaft, I would need a loaner from any S1 to see if it fixes.

Since its a heads up from Sujith and his mechanic, I feel a lot better.
You can't hear those sounds from your MEO 2121 and 118 because the engines are louder in them right But your is very smooth and silent from the engine aspect but please get your suspension work done immediatly
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:00   #543
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,323
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
You can't hear those sounds from your MEO 2121 and 118 because the engines are louder in them right But your is very smooth and silent from the engine aspect but please get your suspension work done immediatly
Yeah right. MEO engine is generally louder and my NE engine has headers and free flow. May be due to this, I never noticed. I will work the suspension once I can manage to allocate some budget in the coming days.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:43   #544
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

People, The FIAT 1100 CLUB BANGALORE is meeting this Sunday, 8th November 2009. Venue will be Cubbon Park(Road from UB city juction to Central Library)
Time will be 4pm in the evening .
Hope to see all the new members
Thanks

Last edited by Sujith1100 : 5th November 2009 at 18:53.
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 19:22   #545
BHPian
 
Karthik1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 574
Thanked: 358 Times
Default

Mr. Funkykar.u do the swapping for ur satisfaction. as it is free of cost and nothing to lose. but i feel, the noise is due to the movement of prop shaft, but problem is not with the prop shaft, it might be common in all S1. coupling is to help reducing the noise and vibrations. that coupling is not there in ur S1.
ya i agree with sujith, if the clutch adjustment is so sensitive also can create this issues.and ur mechanic is too intelligent, without analyzing the problem, he made u to spend money on it. The very next thing u have to do is adjust clutch.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Post edited. Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Slang and SMS Language are also STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th November 2009 at 15:33. Reason: See note in post
Karthik1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 20:14   #546
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Karthik, Sujith and Kedar take the responsibility of calling up the members. I too will call all of them on Saturday.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 21:01   #547
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 19 Times
Default All are welcome

All Fiat Lovers or just car lovers in general are welcome to the club meet.

I see some non Fiat owning tbhpians hesitating to come to the meet as they dont own a Fiat 1100 car.

Note:
People coming to the meet, in cars other than Fiats are requested to park their cars in the parking lot next to the library.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 11:15   #548
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,484 Times
Default

Dear Karthik and all - Premier Padmini S1 with floor shift gears has single piece propeller shaft, whereas the one with the column shift has two piece propeller shaft. This is because the S1 floor shift has the Nissan transmission adapted from the 118NE (although the housing is different to adapt to the fiat engine and the clutch actuating fork angle is also different to provide clearence with the steering linkages), whereas the S1 column shift as the same basic Nissan transmission but adapted from the Nissan Vanette load carrier forward control van (I did the adaptation in 1990). As the rear extension housing of the vanette is small in length, the propeller shaft becomes longer and it had to be made in 2 pieces to confirm to the Euler's theory of long columns which calls for providing at least a 30% factor of safety as regards whirling speed, which is the speed at which maximum vibrations can occur, which can break the shaft.

Coming to the centre bearing, it is adapted exactly from the 118NE. Although the design is perfect (it is original fiat design with drawings of 1965), the quality of parts used is pathetic, so this always gives problems. Therefore - PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE S1 WITH 2 PIECE PROPELLER SHAFT FOR ANY RESTORATION PURPOSE BECAUSE THIS SILLY ISSUE WILL NEVER GET SOLVED.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 12:30   #549
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik and all - Premier Padmini S1 with floor shift gears has single piece propeller shaft, whereas the one with the column shift has two piece propeller shaft. This is because the S1 floor shift has the Nissan transmission adapted from the 118NE (although the housing is different to adapt to the fiat engine and the clutch actuating fork angle is also different to provide clearence with the steering linkages), whereas the S1 column shift as the same basic Nissan transmission but adapted from the Nissan Vanette load carrier forward control van (I did the adaptation in 1990). As the rear extension housing of the vanette is small in length, the propeller shaft becomes longer and it had to be made in 2 pieces to confirm to the Euler's theory of long columns which calls for providing at least a 30% factor of safety as regards whirling speed, which is the speed at which maximum vibrations can occur, which can break the shaft.

Coming to the centre bearing, it is adapted exactly from the 118NE. Although the design is perfect (it is original fiat design with drawings of 1965), the quality of parts used is pathetic, so this always gives problems. Therefore - PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE S1 WITH 2 PIECE PROPELLER SHAFT FOR ANY RESTORATION PURPOSE BECAUSE THIS SILLY ISSUE WILL NEVER GET SOLVED.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks a lot for the information you have provided Sir, I guess Karthik can feel better now.

Sir please let us know on your next visit to Bangalore, We all are very eager to meet you in person. Also you can have a look at our cars and club proceedings.
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 12:31   #550
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,323
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik and all - Premier Padmini S1 with floor shift gears has single piece propeller shaft, whereas the one with the column shift has two piece propeller shaft. This is because the S1 floor shift has the Nissan transmission adapted from the 118NE (although the housing is different to adapt to the fiat engine and the clutch actuating fork angle is also different to provide clearence with the steering linkages), whereas the S1 column shift as the same basic Nissan transmission but adapted from the Nissan Vanette load carrier forward control van (I did the adaptation in 1990). As the rear extension housing of the vanette is small in length, the propeller shaft becomes longer and it had to be made in 2 pieces to confirm to the Euler's theory of long columns which calls for providing at least a 30% factor of safety as regards whirling speed, which is the speed at which maximum vibrations can occur, which can break the shaft.

Coming to the centre bearing, it is adapted exactly from the 118NE. Although the design is perfect (it is original fiat design with drawings of 1965), the quality of parts used is pathetic, so this always gives problems. Therefore - PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE S1 WITH 2 PIECE PROPELLER SHAFT FOR ANY RESTORATION PURPOSE BECAUSE THIS SILLY ISSUE WILL NEVER GET SOLVED.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Thanks Behram sir for the detailed explaination. So it it okay to get that sound on a S1 when the clutch is applied quickly? Does changing the propellor shaft help (I can get one from scrap)?
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 12:42   #551
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default M Angry and Bored

INVITATION TO ALL MEMBERS OF BCSC

FIAT 1100 CLUB BANGALORE, will be having its MEET/RALLY on SUNDAY, 8th November 2009 at Cubbon Park, at 4pm.

Detail:
FIAT 1100 CLUB, Bangalore - In the News
DATE: 8th November 2009, SUNDAY
TIME: 4pm
VENUE: Cubbon Park(On the road connecting UB-City junction to Central Library)

Last edited by Dippy : 6th November 2009 at 13:42. Reason: Post edited: Please post scooter related info in the scooter thread. Thanks. Moved your Fiat rally post here.
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 12:49   #552
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thanks Behram sir for the detailed explaination. So it it okay to get that sound on a S1 when the clutch is applied quickly? Does changing the propellor shaft help (I can get one from scrap)?
Your car is running smooth like Metal on ICE or Metal on BUTTER,
Only get you suspension done, and change the door beedings as soon as possible
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 13:14   #553
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,323
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Your car is running smooth like Metal on ICE or Metal on BUTTER,
Only get you suspension done, and change the door beedings as soon as possible
Sure. I am only curious to get to the bottom of this issue.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 13:30   #554
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,323
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
and ur mechanic is too intelligent, without analyzing the problem, he made u to spend money on it......the very next thing u have to do is adjust clutch.
I agree my mechanic is illeterate and does things only by his past experience. By himself did not suggest anything except for changing of the Star. My mechanic has always maintained that its pretty normal and there is no issues and I have to apply clutch slowly. I was the one who was thinking this to be a big probelm and pestered him to open up the differencial once and then change the clutch plates. I gave him the idea of clutch plates since I thought no harm in changing them anyways.

Moreover, my mechanic never ever suggests a replacement until some part is really bad and the car cannot be used with out it.

Last edited by funkykar : 6th November 2009 at 13:36.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 21:30   #555
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,372
Thanked: 550 Times
Default

Karthick,

1. For the Clutch Setting, what have been done now is recomended with 3mm free play.

2. for the noise it think there could be other possibility of play in the spline of the shaft at the differential end, wild guess. Have seen a similar phenomenin in lot of ST Busses and Ambassadors, Just a wild guess.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat 1100 Club of Lucknow samsag12 Post-War 149 26th June 2016 14:14
Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President arun1100 Post-War 49 21st January 2015 19:15
1978 - Fiat 1100 || 2010 - Fiat Grande Punto Emotion MJD! Sujith1100 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 146 25th October 2011 21:53
Fiat goes Off The Road - FCB drives to forests of Chikmagalur! FiatMyLife Travelogues 86 11th January 2011 23:49
Wanted: Fiat 1100: Bangalore khan_sultan Shifting gears 4 22nd June 2009 23:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks