Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 18th December 2009, 19:37   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehul1100 View Post
Yeah this car is halted for nearly five years and the owner has one fiat elegant, morries minor and many old collection, his problem is that with a such big collection he is not able not maintain even one car in a perfect way.

So all the cars with him are not in runing condition. Neither he willing to sell off then either. He loves is collection, but after hin these beauties march towards junk yard only.
The one whos lucky will get his hands on this car. Its airconditioned station wagon.
Mehul1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 22:07   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one whos lucky will get his hands on this car. Its airconditioned station wagon.
Mehul sir... Can I make a reservation ?!?!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 22:39   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Mehul sir... Can I make a reservation ?!?!
Wait untill I have first impressions of the car. Its not in my town, I had only sent my friend to see the car, he is in bargain for the car, onces the rate is fixed, then only I move to the place.

Because if I go he will think north indian buyer has come to buy, but a local tamilian wont make him feel that.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:50   #724
BANNED

Quote:
Wait untill I have first impressions of the car. Its not in my town, I had only sent my friend to see the car, he is in bargain for the car, onces the rate is fixed, then only I move to the place.

Because if I go he will think north indian buyer has come to buy, but a local tamilian wont make him feel that.
Mehul, Are you seriously looking to buy it? save the car.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 23:18   #725
BHPian

Yes Arun Sir, I am trying my best, pray god that I face sucess in wining that beauty.
Old 20th December 2009, 10:42   #726
Senior - BHPian

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Premier Padmini Standard engines had 7.8 compression ratio engine. Economy carburetors came with 22mm venturi, 102 size main jet, 180 size correction jet and 40 size idle jet while standard carburetors came with 20.5mm venturi with 220 size air correction jet while the main jet remained 102 sized.
Premier Padmini Deluxe engines had 8.1 compression ratio with 24mm venturi, 110 size main jet & 150 size air correction jet with 45 size idle jet.

However there was no documented difference between the carburetors of BU & BE cars.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Adheesh,

Thanks for this. This was what I was looking for. When I had the car in stock condition (trying to tune for milage - as I was on a Petrol Cost Reimbursement from my employer and they had 10 KM/Littere policy for Premiers) I always ended arguing with my mechanic. He would want to put a 102 main arguing that that was standard and I had to show him the hand book always to put 110 in. All Credits to him that with that he could tune to give 10+ KML for the car. He used to experiment with different 110 s with a needle to select the one with smallest hole.

Take Care & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 13:10   #727

Hi Arun !
Can i get Mr Jairam's contact no. Need to get my car modified the same way..(Black one )
Seek help to procure parts and other tech specs
Sharique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:11   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Was it DELUX or DELUXE?

I think in S1, the top end model was called just DELUXE.
the 80's version was called DELUX .in the early '94-95 there were DELUXE-BE and DELUXE-BU and last version was called S1 Executive .Beharmji please give your learned comment on this
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:31   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ajay - My pleasure, please read.

Premier Padmini cars came in following models. Premier Padmini Economy / Premier Padmini Standard / Premier Padmini Special / Premier Padmini Deluxe BE / Premier Padmini Deluxe / Premier Padmini Deluxe BE AC / Premier Padmini Deluxe AC / Premier Padmini 137D / Premier Padmini S1 / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe BE / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe BE AC / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe AC. These are the "exact" nomenclatures. There was never any "Deluxe BU" or "S1 executive".

I have not included Premier Safari in the above list as it was internally called PDA (Premier Drive Away) chassis. The "Safari" tag was put after body building.

Incidentally, inside the company, the car was generically called "PP Car". Nobody spoke "Premier Padmini". It was always "PP Standard" / PP BE / PP Deluxe etc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:44   #730
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There was never any "Deluxe BU" or "S1 executive".
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Sir I vaguely remember seeing Deluxe BU on old padmini cars. Were they after market monograms?

We guys(in B'lore) always thought Deluxe BU means a Padmini with Bucket seats and Deluxe BE means a Padmini with Bench seats. If there was no such model at all then from where did this word "BU" arise from?

One more doubt: Which model of Padmini did not have reverse lights? My 1991 PP Economy has reverse lights.

Last edited by arun1100 : 22nd December 2009 at 18:54.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:39   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir I vaguely remember seeing Deluxe BU on old padmini cars. Were they after market monograms?

We guys(in B'lore) always thought Deluxe BU means a Padmini with Bucket seats and Deluxe BE means a Padmini with Bench seats. If there was no such model at all then from where did this word "BU" arise from?

One more doubt: Which model of Padmini did not have reverse lights? My 1991 PP Economy has reverse lights.
this is subject to correction since I am not a PP researcher,but as far as my info goes, 1987-1992 period the economy version had a painted bumpers(no chrome) , rubber bumper guards, rubber weatherstrips with no chrome garnish, no reverse lights, for that matter only Deluxe versions had reverse lights.it is likely that your 1991 had reverse light fitted as dealer option
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:13   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Arun,

I had a Padmini 1988 Model (bought new from Padmini Show Room, TVS Trivandrum). Bucket Seats, Seat Belt, Floor Shift, Rear Door Ash Tray and Courtesy Lamps on rear doors.

Rear Monogram was - Premier Padmini Deluxe (As far as I remember). The car is still with my cousin. I will check and see if the "deluxe" is with an e or with out. This model engines had 8.1 compression ratio with 24mm venturi, 110 size main jet & 150 size air correction jet with 45 size idle jet.

In 1988 The other model - Monogramm read Premier Padmini Deluxe BE had bench seats, no seat belts and column shift and had standard engines had 7.8 compression ratio engine. Economy carburetors came with 22mm venturi, 102 size main jet, 180 size correction jet and 40 size idle jet while standard carburetors came with 20.5mm venturi with 220 size air correction jet while the main jet remained 102 sized.

The - Monogramm "Deluxe" with out the last "e" is something of a mystrey/myth/urban legend. Or it may even be a case of spotting a car sometime with out the "e" in its mongram.

I think this is supported by the guru himself in his post below.

Quote:
Premier Padmini cars came in following models. Premier Padmini Economy / Premier Padmini Standard / Premier Padmini Special / Premier Padmini Deluxe BE / Premier Padmini Deluxe / Premier Padmini Deluxe BE AC / Premier Padmini Deluxe AC / Premier Padmini 137D / Premier Padmini S1 / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe BE / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe BE AC / Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe AC. These are the "exact" nomenclatures. There was never any "Deluxe BU" or "S1 executive".

I have not included Premier Safari in the above list as it was internally called PDA (Premier Drive Away) chassis. The "Safari" tag was put after body building.

Incidentally, inside the company, the car was generically called "PP Car". Nobody spoke "Premier Padmini". It was always "PP Standard" / PP BE / PP Deluxe etc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Unquote

Thanks, Best Regards & Drive/Ride Carefully

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:28   #733
BHPian

@ Behram Sir,
I & Salil (tbhpian salilpawar1) has seen Padmini with a parabolic shaped black colored EXECUTIVE batch; the word EXECUTIVE is written in golden letters on black background many times in Dadar, near Shivaji Park. Can you please give us some highlights on it ??
I don't know whether that car is S1 or not but looks like a early 2000 car with registration number something MH01CA----.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:24   #734
Senior - BHPian

Really interesting discussion. Its clearing many doubts, and raising a few

I am sure at the end of the day, we all will be on the same page
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:27   #735
BHPian

The 'Executive' badge could simply be one taken of, or intended for, another brand of car too. For eg., the Hyundai Accent has an Executive badge. I maybe wrong but a Photograph of the Executive badge would help dispel the doubt.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote