Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 12th February 2010, 08:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree to what you say Arun, I will not agree to modify the originality on any of my vehicle and my premier as being Amma's favourite I will take atmost care to get it done to the best however the car needs some body work as circled in the picture, she needs a fresh coat of paint either metallic or back to the original shade. I guess suspension also needs a overhaul and I am not sure if i will get the genuine spares for it. I am also worried as painting involves removing windows, glasses etc I might loose the original glass beedings, steel beedings etc how to deal with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-p120210_08.17_01.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-p120210_08.17.jpg  

Attached Images

chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 09:14   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I am also worried as painting involves removing windows, glasses etc I might loose the original glass beedings, steel beedings etc how to deal with them.
All those patches will have to be changed, no other go..

Even my car is pending for restoration. I too am worried with the original beading and stuff as once they are removed i fear the same ones cannot be fixed back..
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 10:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
All those patches will have to be changed, no other go..

Even my car is pending for restoration. I too am worried with the original beading and stuff as once they are removed i fear the same ones cannot be fixed back..

Also, depends on the condition it is in. If the tinker/painter is careful, most of them can be put back. If not, you may need to replace some of them.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 12:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

If I go for the same shade then I need not remove the entire stuff anyways side beedings (aluminium) can be re fixed as they have clamps, now about the glass beeding I feel we can tape it and get the painting done. As it would be the same shade the effort and the cost will come down. Is this alright as I have never tried this.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:26   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
If I go for the same shade then I need not remove the entire stuff anyways side beedings (aluminium) can be re fixed as they have clamps, now about the glass beeding I feel we can tape it and get the painting done.
This is what happens after few more years when you "tape it and get the painting done".
Attached Images

Old 13th February 2010, 01:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Ya this is also possible, let me discuss with the denter today as I am intending to do the body work first and then the suspesion followed by the paint if everythings goes well.

The picture below scares me man! I guess this must have been discovered only when the glass is broken or when painting process took place, but this can be avoided if glass rubber beading is of good quality and the body around even.

I have a question to experts which is the good option to have in regards to seat does the individual seats do good or the original seat.
Old 13th February 2010, 17:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Default DELIGHTful FIATtitude

Freinds..Finally the time has come to unveil the Delight in its fresh AVATAR..I call it a Green Revolution.
It has been a patient journey from acquisition to completion and Fiatians support from T-BHP has been abundant.
This delight is completly done from Engine,Gearbox,Brakes,carburatter performence excellence,to a maticulous paint job,ultra fine art leather upholstry.
Fiat 1100 Club-Hyderabad will soon be a reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00004.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00005.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00006.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00008.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00009.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00010.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00011.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00012.jpg  

Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight-dsc00013.jpg  

hillram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 18:23   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Freinds..Finally the time has come to unveil the Delight in its fresh AVATAR..I call it a Green Revolution.

Fiat 1100 Club-Hyderabad will soon be a reality.
Congratulations Ram, you have given the car a new lease on life. The originality in terms of fittings is really outstanding. All the best for the Hyderabad club.

PS - would like to point out something unique in your car - the dashboard mounted ashtray is an imported item (fitted to imported cars). Indian cars would have had full chrome or full painted units, while the imported ones were chrome with painted lids. I asked an old timer why only the lid would be painted, and he told me that is helped reduce the reflection/glare of the sun bouncing off the ashtray while driving.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 19:01   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Hillram - everything is very good except engine compartment. It is not difficult to do the engine compartment. I suggest please go ahead and do it. You don't have to remove the engine but you must remove the steering gear. The carpet is scuffed below the clutch pedal. A good carpetwallah should deliver excellent results. For one car, it is possible. The front number plate should go below the bumper. Also, please don't keep the oil filter packing on the brake oil reservoir. I can see a blue plastic fan lurking. Please replace it. It is not original. It will consume more power, spoil the water pump bearings and make unnecessary noise. Please remove the tailpipe chrome piece. It looks aftermarket. Fix bonnet rests on the sides of the engine compartment. Attach the grille by using 5 nos M6*1.0 bolts instead of self tapping screws. It will look good and prevent theft. All my car grills are fixed this way. It takes time to assemble but it is worth it. The original cluster has a temperature guage. You must remove the ammeter and fit the temperature gusge in its place. There should not be any sticker on any glass. Give it an understated elegance. You will love it. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 13th February 2010 at 19:07.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 20:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Karl for your wishes.Its a joyous day in my life to restore this Delight and bring it to this stage.

@Behram..your valuable inputs are much sought and I shall work on them.Now my quest is to own a 56 Elegant that should complete my hatrick.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 20:32   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Congrats ram! The car does look smashing! Well-done. What type of paint has been used btw?
And in addition to your calling it a Green Revolution, on the lighter side, you can tell the RTO that this car being a 'green' car, doesn't call for Green tax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
PS - would like to point out something unique in your car - the dashboard mounted ashtray is an imported item (fitted to imported cars). Indian cars would have had full chrome or full painted units, while the imported ones were chrome with painted lids. I asked an old timer why only the lid would be painted, and he told me that is helped reduce the reflection/glare of the sun bouncing off the ashtray while driving.
Yeah, karl is right- wow, I didnt notice that the first time I saw the pics.! You sure are lucky, ram! 'wonder how the imported ashtray got there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The front number plate should go below the bumper.
I might add that for this, all you have to do is take off the numberplate, then the bumper entirely, just turn it upside-down and fit it back normally. And voila, the numberplate can be fitted below the bumper. I guess many people did the 'ulta' fitting of the bumper to protect the numberplate from damage/dirt etc, it hanging rather low.

Last edited by Stanher : 13th February 2010 at 20:35.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 20:42   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I might add that for this, all you have to do is take off the numberplate, then the bumper entirely, just turn it upside-down and fit it back normally. And voila, the numberplate can be fitted below the bumper. I guess many people did the 'ulta' fitting of the bumper to protect the numberplate from damage/dirt etc, it hanging rather low.
Incidentally the earliest Millecentos had the numberplates fitted in this fashion, but from 56-57 they switched to the conventional position.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 21:45   #73
BANNED

Congrats Ram garu.

Your car looks fab now.
Old 13th February 2010, 21:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a colour! nicely executed two tone colour scheme. Cant take eyes off your car! Just curious why a 56 Elegant and not a 57 Elegant
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 22:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your wishes.
@Amole..I used to own a 56 Elegant till 2007 and sold it foolishly.Today the car is proudly owned by Cyberdoctorind and he is restoring it,patiently.
Hence I want to own one more Elegant.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote