Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 23rd May 2009, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Default Can a 1969 Series 11a SWB Landrover be considered a classic with diesel conversion?

hi
i was planning to buy a certain classic vehicle
but the engine has been changed , checked the chassis number, originally had come in petrol,but presently having
a diesel
the diesel is also genuine for that particular model and year
would this alteration be acceptable

thanks in advance

eyedoc
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
hi
but the engine has been changed , checked the chassis number, originally had come in petrol,but presently having
a diesel

thanks in advance

eyedoc
Sorry but No When the engine is gone, you must replace it with an identical engine, by that i mean an engine which was made for that particular car and not an equivavlent period engine. But ofcourse thats purely technical you can still enjoy dieselized cars but if your investing money into a classic one should try and stay away from cars without original engines. Unless they are super rare and someday you you think you will find one.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi
a diesel

thanks in advance
eyedoc
Maybe such altered "Classics" with major engine changes are more practical to own, but these are disqualified at Vintage and Classic car rallies. Also their resale prices and demand vary, depending upon the buyer. usually connoisseurs don't prefer such alterations, for ownership.
Please consider these points before you arrive at a decision.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:52   #4
BANNED

Quote:
hi
a diesel

thanks in advance

eyedoc
Buddy, may we have one look at the classic you are eyeing,

Who knows if this might be a rare car, forget the engine, you can still source the original engine, somewhere...someday.....somehow

We are waiting for a pic of that classic of yours......
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:34   #5
BHPian

, but these are disqualified at Vintage and Classic car rallies..[/quote]

I would suggest you check with any clubs holding rallies in your area as I am sure they would welcome your attendance and sharing in this great hobby.

Most of our cars are in the process of being brought back to factory specifications and are considered "works in progress".

The other consideration is, if your car is to be used as a daily driver, then perhaps at this time the economy and reliability of the diesel justifies keeping it for the time being. By all means work on the rest of the cars and leave the engine till last.

Certainly the value of the car depends on things being as original as possible.

Looking forward to seeing photos,
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi
Can we have a picture of this calssic car of yours please ?
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:53   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
, but these are disqualified at Vintage and Classic car rallies Certainly the value of the car depends on things being as original as possible.

Looking forward to seeing photos,

I beg to differ here, a person like me would love to get hold of a good classic or a vintage for my personal satisfaction.

I would never bother about any club or as a matter of fact others.

"Eyedoc buy the car for yourself"

Getting hold of a classic is itself a big high for some of us, getting them back to period is what we need to work on.

Car's need to be owned for personal satisfaction ,and of-course after its back to originality, its open for the world to see and enjoy.

Ya, still looking forward for the photos, and you are better than me in building up the suspense

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd May 2009 at 23:55.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 16:31   #8
BHPian

its a 1969 series 11a swb landrover
the seller is harping about its classic value and all
otherwise the 11a is in pretty good condition
but isn't only upto 1965 considered
here is a snap
sorry for building up suspense
sir alec if you are veiwing an idea of how much is a reasonable value would be a great help
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 22:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to say this but you will certainly find a better one, there are tons around. Its not worth the effort the engine would set you back by atleast 50K-100K. They are fairly easy to find.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 00:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont recollect any where a Landrover of the by gone eras classified as an antique or a vintage.Its just a British Pride.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 05:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A few comments, just cannot get sleep tonight.

This Land Rover can be a fun car, buy it, put in a powerful engine, have a blast. Apart from that, keep a lookout for an original engine so that you can revert in future and protect the value of your 'classic'.
As folks have mentioned, it will never be an antique car, but by now 1St Series Landies are collectable.
You should not bother about clubs, just do your thing. As regards rally's. in smaller events where there are not many cars they would tend to accept an entry for participation, in larger events they are unlikely to accept an entry.
Now you have to decide! All the best.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 23:11   #12
BANNED

I second Harit on this. Even in the FCCCI, everyone always harps about originality, whereas what you should really be doing is have FUN!! Isnt that what cars are all about?
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 10:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

One question about these early Landys. The spare was actually carried behind the front seats with a depression in the floor to take the bottom of the tyre.

So what are those mounts visible on teh bonnet actually there for. I almost bought one from a scrap guy in Hyderabda but the price was high as the body was aluminium and they were going to make more selling it as metal than as a car.

Very sad an end for many of these cars.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 09:06   #14
BHPian

Default Land Rover Engine

Hi Guys,

I had a quick question for all of you...

Does anyone know what engine will be suitable for using in these Land Rovers? I am looking at a Series 3 Land Rover (only body & chassis), so it will help to figure out the engie / gear box option.

It will help if one can recommend a suitable engine, its probable price & availability (which city, which market)... needless to say, it should be compatible with a 4x4 gear box.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
One question about these early Landys. The spare was actually carried behind the front seats with a depression in the floor to take the bottom of the tyre.

So what are those mounts visible on teh bonnet actually there for. I almost bought one from a scrap guy in Hyderabda but the price was high as the body was aluminium and they were going to make more selling it as metal than as a car.

Very sad an end for many of these cars.
abhishek_d_zulu is offline   Reply With Quote