Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 5th May 2010, 12:20   #136
Senior - BHPian

Aahha the gleaming beauty. Looks even better with all those chrome fittings. But the pictures do not justify it . Do upload some clear pics Kadam Sahib. So what about the detailing inside the engine compartment. Will you manage to do so till d'day.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 02:18   #137
Senior - BHPian

Wow this car now looks quite suimiler to my Wolseley but there are a few differences like this car has a 4 cylinder engine and mine has a 6 cylinder.My car has got twin S.U. carbs and has the shifter on the right hand side on the floor. The car is looking really good. Cheers

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 6th May 2010 at 02:38.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 22:38   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Aahha the gleaming beauty. Looks even better with all those chrome fittings. But the pictures do not justify it . Do upload some clear pics Kadam Sahib. So what about the detailing inside the engine compartment. Will you manage to do so till d'day.
Wait for the next 24 hrs, will put better pics. The car is almost complete in all aspects, the master cylinder is giving me a lot of headaches.

About the D-Day, i really dont know. I am more skeptical driving this car over a 375 Kms stretch and a overall 800 km run on a single day.

Even the workshop guys are not happy presently due to the owners paying pattern, every bill and quotation is being discounted by 10-15% by the car owner.

Not able to work in a gloomy atmosphere, these guys respects me a lot, and are not able to tell me they are getting paid little. Its also come to a point that i am parting with my money to get the work happening. I dont want the car to get deprived of its attention, till its finally done.

Just getting a bit irritating presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Wow this car now looks quite suimiler to my Wolseley but there are a few differences like this car has a 4 cylinder engine and mine has a 6 cylinder.My car has got twin S.U. carbs and has the shifter on the right hand side on the floor. The car is looking really good. Cheers
Sir, please do post some pics of your car here, also need help in regards to the Master Cylinder unit. I know your car is a Magnette, same shape, but engine gearbox are entirely different. But the Master cylinder is the same as in this car.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 01:14   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Sir, please do post some pics of your car here, also need help in regards to the Master Cylinder unit. I know your car is a Magnette, same shape, but engine gearbox are entirely different. But the Master cylinder is the same as in this car.
My car is a Wolseley 6/90 and not a Magnette . Could you tell me what is the problem with the master cylinder ?Are you still using the original wheel cylinder ? Have you relined the shoes ?

I am uploading pictures of my car. If you reply asap we can try and tackle the problem soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_4872.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_4873.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_4901.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th May 2010, 09:02   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car is a Wolseley 6/90

I am uploading pictures of my car. If you reply asap we can try and tackle the problem soon.
Wow, nice car! 'looks very complete and restorable. But why have the trims/badges not been taken off during the red-oxide coating??

The wood veneer dash so reminds me of the Herald's! Speaking of which, how bout those Herald spares you got for me?

Last edited by Stanher : 7th May 2010 at 09:05.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:52   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Even the workshop guys are not happy presently due to the owners paying pattern, every bill and quotation is being discounted by 10-15% by the car owner.

Not able to work in a gloomy atmosphere, these guys respects me a lot, and are not able to tell me they are getting paid little. Its also come to a point that i am parting with my money to get the work happening. I dont want the car to get deprived of its attention, till its finally done.

I can fully understand just how you feel
I think the guys doing the renovation are doing a great job,and then, to have there money discounted by up to 15% is disgracefull by the owner.after the work has been done,even yourself paying out your own money should never of have happened.I think without you, the car would
never have got this far.The ownner needs to pay the full agreed price before you release the finished vehicle to him. Its because of people like him that prices of renovations go up,as the workers never earn there full wages and maybe inclined to add various small bits onto the totals. Good luck to the guys and hope you have the strength to keep the car until the full payment has been made to you and the workers.
vw splitscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 16:10   #142
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car is a Wolseley 6/90 and not a Magnette .
I am uploading pictures of my car.
Indojit, are those tail lights modifiied Amby ones or are they original?

Quote:

The owner is a very rich man. I am sure you can reason this out with him as this car would have never reached this state without the work put in by you and your team.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 16:21   #143
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering why the owner is reluctant for the funds. It is not just a headache for Pavan, also some unhappy workers there. I feel the car and owner would feel more satisfied if the restorer and the workers are kept happy.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 18:18   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
I can fully understand just how you feel
I think the guys doing the renovation are doing a great job,and then, to have there money discounted by up to 15% is disgracefull by the owner.after the work has been done,even yourself paying out your own money should never of have happened.I think without you, the car would
never have got this far.The ownner needs to pay the full agreed price before you release the finished vehicle to him. Its because of people like him that prices of renovations go up,as the workers never earn there full wages and maybe inclined to add various small bits onto the totals. Good luck to the guys and hope you have the strength to keep the car until the full payment has been made to you and the workers.
Its a natural human tendency.

What started as a hobby for me has remained so since all these years. The passion to give life to an old car always gives me a high. I volunteer fully with every car i restore. I dont expect any cuts or payments for the same anytime.

I work around a happy environment. Workers happy (" READ NOT GREEDY") and myself happy, car owner happy and most above of all the CAR BEING HAPPY.

Many workshops dont take up vintage/ classic restorations since its a headache, as the car would take up a minimum of 2 car spaces and for quite a long period. And even the mechanics need to use lot of their learnt/ unlearnt mechanical skills in making the car run. But at the end of the day when they receive X minus 1. The passion evaporates.

Hope things go well from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

The owner is a very rich man. I am sure you can reason this out with him as this car would have never reached this state without the work put in by you and your team.
Cheers

KPS

Yes sir, he is. But what happens here is,the whole experience is PASSIVE. When the car owner does not see whats actually happening on the car time to time, he does not know the travails of the person actually restoring it. The pain quotient gets discounted so does the money

The total amount spent on this car is well within a Lac as on date, which as per me is the BEST price for a restoration.

Any workshop would have taken a minimum of 2 years restoring the car to what it is today. But my people have come together and put up a wonderful show and finished everything within 8 months, which as per me is appreciable for the kind of work involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I am wondering why the owner is reluctant for the funds. It is not just a headache for Pavan, also some unhappy workers there. I feel the car and owner would feel more satisfied if the restorer and the workers are kept happy.
No Karthik, i need to keep these guys motivated everytime, they will still work on the car, they will still go out their way to make it better. You saw it yourself last week.

Whoever may be unhappy, i make sure that the Car will get its due. come what may.

Hope everything goes well in the end.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:44   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, nice car! 'looks very complete and restorable. But why have the trims/badges not been taken off during the red-oxide coating??

The wood veneer dash so reminds me of the Herald's! Speaking of which, how bout those Herald spares you got for me?
Thank you sir.The car has everything except a few trims on the door frames.The badges and trims were not removed for because we don't know when we will start work on this car so didn't want stuff to get lost like the Studebaker.

I will send you a pm regarding the spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

These seem to be original to me.I am uploading a pic of another 6/90, you could compare.

Name:  Daveseven_Wolseley_690_Wolseley__00022468.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  190.4 KB

Quote:

Whoever may be unhappy, i make sure that the Car will get its due. come what may.

Yes that is what matters at the end of the day.By the way you didn't say what's the problem with the master cylinder.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:28   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Karthik, i need to keep these guys motivated everytime, they will still work on the car, they will still go out their way to make it better. You saw it yourself last week.

I agree with you every bit Pavan! By the way you were speaking to the people working on the car, I could make out how much respect they have for you. What I meant was, if the workers are kept happy all the time (without monetory niggles throughout restoration or any other things), then the workers will feel more elated. You anyways will get it done without compromising on the quality aspect. May be the car (inspired by Herbie ) and owner too will feel too good after restoration.

Nevertheless, a job very well done by you (both restoration and managing the resources)

Last edited by funkykar : 7th May 2010 at 20:30.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 21:38   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Yes that is what matters at the end of the day.By the way you didn't say what's the problem with the master cylinder.
Sir, Need your serious intervention here. We have run the car many a times, the braking is really feeble, when we try to bleed and lock the brakes, the pedal gets stuck and wont release. This also affects the clutch since ONE MASTER CYLIDER DOUBLES UP AS BRAKE SERVO AND ALSO CLUTCH SERVO CONTROL.

My mech says the master cylinder kits need to be changed.

I tried many UK websites, spares not available.

Could you suggest any other suitable repair kits that match this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I agree with you every bit Pavan! By the way you were speaking to the people working on the car, I could make out how much respect they have for you. What I meant was, if the workers are kept happy all the time (without monetory niggles throughout restoration or any other things), then the workers will feel more elated. You anyways will get it done without compromising on the quality aspect. May be the car (inspired by Herbie ) and owner too will feel too good after restoration.

Nevertheless, a job very well done by you (both restoration and managing the resources)
I am only hoping, by the end of the day, Aaal iiiizzzzz wellll
Old 8th May 2010, 13:01   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, Need your serious intervention here. We have run the car many a times, the braking is really feeble, when we try to bleed and lock the brakes, the pedal gets stuck and wont release. This also affects the clutch since ONE MASTER CYLIDER DOUBLES UP AS BRAKE SERVO AND ALSO CLUTCH SERVO CONTROL.

My mech says the master cylinder kits need to be changed.

I tried many UK websites, spares not available.

Could you suggest any other suitable repair kits that match this car.
Hi

The car has a Tandem Master cylinder in it.Now there shouldn't be any servo, because servo's never came at that time on any car.So now what you have to do is ask your mechanic to check if there is a servo. If he finds it then ask him to remove the servo and then operate the brakes directly without the servo.

Do check on this and get back and if there is no servo then we will take it from there.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 8th May 2010 at 13:12.
Old 8th May 2010, 19:50   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Hi

The car has a Tandem Master cylinder in it.Now there shouldn't be any servo, because servo's never came at that time on any car.So now what you have to do is ask your mechanic to check if there is a servo. If he finds it then ask him to remove the servo and then operate the brakes directly without the servo.

Do check on this and get back and if there is no servo then we will take it from there.

Tandem Master Cylinder == That was what i meant sir.

Any replacement kits you suggest.

We need to drive this car on a 800 km round trip the coming week.

I desperately need the brakes working for this.

For a normal city driving, car behaves well. But on a straight strecth , OMG, it feels like 0% brakes.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:31   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tandem Master Cylinder == That was what i meant sir.

Any replacement kits you suggest.

We need to drive this car on a 800 km round trip the coming week.

I desperately need the brakes working for this.

For a normal city driving, car behaves well. But on a straight strecth , OMG, it feels like 0% brakes.
Have sent you a PM with the solution.