Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 17th May 2010, 11:08   #181
BHPian

Hi Mr. Pavan, your dedication and hard work to restore this beauty is great. In today's time even after spending money people will not get such quality and dedicated job. The owner must be grateful to you and should realize the hard work undertaken by you to reach this stage.

Hats off to you, I wish you all the best.
vintagepoint5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:43   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Mr. Pavan, your dedication and hard work to restore this beauty is great. In today's time even after spending money people will not get such quality and dedicated job. The owner must be grateful to you and should realize the hard work undertaken by you to reach this stage.

Hats off to you, I wish you all the best.
150 kms , State Highway 59. With low networkgood GPRS signal just to update this small tweet.

The car breaks down. Gearbox heating issues, Un-bearable heat inside the cabin. No upholstry, roof hot. Steering packed up, Rendering car without steering controls, car is oven, can bake cake. Journey cancelled, tow truck on the way.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2010 at 12:47. Reason: As requested
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:46   #183
BANNED

Oh Saar! So are you coming back now?! Its still 9 30 and imagine the heat after an hour!

Tow the car? You mean it will be loaded in a truck right?

Last edited by arun1100 : 18th May 2010 at 09:47.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:26   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
150 kms , State Highway 59. With low networkgood GPRS signal just to update this small tweet.

The car breaks down. Gearbox heating issues, UNbearable heat inside the cabin. No upholstry, roof hot. Steering packed up, Rendering car without steering controls car is oven .can bake cakejourney cancelled tow truck on the way

Pavan.

Hate to say this but its a good idea to sort out the mechanicals on any car before you move on to the cosmetics.

Ideally this should be driven for 200 to 300 KM to iron out all the glitches. Once satisfied then the rest of the restoration should go ahead.

Now you will mess up the paint job and such when the transmission and the steering are looked at
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:27   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car breaks down. Gearbox heating issues, UNbearable heat inside the cabin. No upholstry, roof hot. Steering packed up, Rendering car without steering controls car is oven .can bake cakejourney cancelled tow truck on the way
Oh no! Have a safe journey back. It can get much more hotter in next few hours.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:55   #186
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Oh no - Pavan - sent you a SMS. Just get the car back safe and slow, there is always another chance to make it mechanically right and go to chennai again.

PS - Dont curse me now, this is why I offered to drive along with you in my jeep just in case...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:56   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Oh Saar! So are you coming back now?! Its still 9 30 and imagine the heat after an hour!

Tow the car? You mean it will be loaded in a truck right?
Front wheels lifted and towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Pavan.

Hate to say this but its a good idea to sort out the mechanicals on any car before you move on to the cosmetics.

Ideally this should be driven for 200 to 300 KM to iron out all the glitches. Once satisfied then the rest of the restoration should go ahead.

Now you will mess up the paint job and such when the transmission and the steering are looked at
We had infact run the car before the paint job, the car had run on its own power from its initial resting place, to the mechanic, after the mechanicals was started , again driven to the tinkers place, and even after tinkering, the same car was driven effortlessly to the painter. All in all a 100 km run. And during testing, i drove the car for over 350 kms in 3 days time. I had a little niggling but very minor issues. We had sorted out all the issues before the D-Day.

The car also drove effortlessly for over 150 kms, we were 175 kms away from SriPerumbadur before the Steering packed up, almost no steering control. And the gearbox started to over heat, making the inside cabin heat unbearable.

We got back to the workshop in Bangalore now, and steering is being worked on. This car i suspect is a RHD to LHD conversion. Even the mechanics say so.

Forget the rest, This engine is a BMC amby engine (has 1500 script on the block) the RC book says engine changed in 1992 from 1098 cc to 1489 cc.

Chances of engine gearbox mating gone wrong.

Steering box will now be given to the lathe to work on. the transmission will be downed by evening.

PAINTJOB WILL REMAIN UNTOUCHED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Oh no! Have a safe journey back. It can get much more hotter in next few hours.
Aiyooooo... dont tell me sir. Happy to be back home.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:29   #188
Senior - BHPian

You have a point there. These Wolsleys were never made in LHD.

BTW why would anyone actually go to the trouble to convert it to LHD beats me.

If the engine is from an Amby then maybe you could get the Amby gearbox and it might work well.

Hope to see your project up and running soon.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:14   #189
BANNED

Quote:
You have a point there. These Wolsleys were never made in LHD.

BTW why would anyone actually go to the trouble to convert it to LHD beats me.

If the engine is from an Amby then maybe you could get the Amby gearbox and it might work well.

Hope to see your project up and running soon.
Regarding the RHD to LHD, its baffling me.

Maybe those days, to increase the car value the mechanic would have done this folly, anyways, this was a rather crude modification that gave way.

I feel, using the amby gearbox would make sense now, once in for all getting rid of the tandem master cylinder for good.

Got a nice Pacco carb today meant for the amby engine. this one was running rich.

Tomorrow again i am starting the second round of testing. Needs to see how well it performs.

Need some suggestions to cut down the unbearable in-cabin heat.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:51   #190
Senior - BHPian

You could stick heat insulation between over the transmission tunnel and the firewall to cut down on the heat.

By cabin heat what exactly are you experiencing ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 23:52   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel, using the amby gearbox would make sense now, once in for all getting rid of the tandem master cylinder for good.
And then we need to look in to differential gear ratio too?
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 20:49   #192
BANNED

Quote:
You could stick heat insulation between over the transmission tunnel and the firewall to cut down on the heat.

Now that is the most important thing i need to do before making the next journey in this car. Provided the car owner agrees further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And then we need to look in to differential gear ratio too?
No Manish. there is a bit of disconnect that i have seen in the RC book. The original 1018 cc engine was replaced by a 1489cc BMC engine way back few years ago, The problem is "Wrong mating" The old gearbox is not able to take the brunt of the present engine.

The steering box is overhauled and fitted on the car, while i still have the kingpin noise, and a light bearing noise at the wheels.

Will work on it tomorrow.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:25   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car also drove effortlessly for over 150 kms, we were 175 kms away from SriPerumbadur before the Steering packed up, almost no steering control. And the gearbox started to over heat, making the inside cabin heat unbearable.
I really didn't expect this to happen. What do you mean that the steering packed up? What about the over heating ? What was happening actually?

Quote:

We got back to the workshop in Bangalore now, and steering is being worked on. This car i suspect is a RHD to LHD conversion. Even the mechanics say so.
Sir could you post a pic of the complete dash board and also if you could remove the carpets on both sides and see if there are and holes that have been closed up . That could give us an idea about it.

Quote:

Forget the rest, This engine is a BMC amby engine (has 1500 script on the block) the RC book says engine changed in 1992 from 1098 cc to 1489 cc.

Chances of engine gearbox mating gone wrong.

Steering box will now be given to the lathe to work on. the transmission will be downed by evening.
Sir that is sad that the engine has been changed. Apart from that i would like to say that is the engine and gearbox wouldn't have mated well then you have some really strange problem like - for example in first your car would go too fast etc etc. So i personally can't say for sure.

Quote:

I would like to know what is the material you are reffering to for heat insulation?

Quote:

No Manish. there is a bit of disconnect that i have seen in the RC book. The original 1018 cc engine was replaced by a 1489cc BMC engine way back few years ago, The problem is "Wrong mating" The old gearbox is not able to take the brunt of the present engine.

The steering box is overhauled and fitted on the car, while i still have the kingpin noise, and a light bearing noise at the wheels.

Will work on it tomorrow.
If you think its the gear box problem then why not get an amby gearbox for it ? I can help you find one.

Were the bearings replaced during the restoration ?

Hope you didn't mind asking you these questions.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 19th May 2010 at 21:27.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 22:28   #194
Senior - BHPian

On a positive note, its good the issues showed up before car reached the owner. If not, it might have been embarassing. Good luck on the last few remaining bits Pavan!
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 13:00   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
On a positive note, its good the issues showed up before car reached the owner. If not, it might have been embarassing. Good luck on the last few remaining bits Pavan!

It really doesn't matter sir.Its an old car, these things are bound to happen. There is nothing to be embarassed about.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote