Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 11:08   #181
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 411
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Hi Mr. Pavan, your dedication and hard work to restore this beauty is great. In today's time even after spending money people will not get such quality and dedicated job. The owner must be grateful to you and should realize the hard work undertaken by you to reach this stage.

Hats off to you, I wish you all the best.
vintagepoint5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:43   #182
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Mr. Pavan, your dedication and hard work to restore this beauty is great. In today's time even after spending money people will not get such quality and dedicated job. The owner must be grateful to you and should realize the hard work undertaken by you to reach this stage.

Hats off to you, I wish you all the best.
150 kms , State Highway 59. With low networkgood GPRS signal just to update this small tweet.

The car breaks down. Gearbox heating issues, Un-bearable heat inside the cabin. No upholstry, roof hot. Steering packed up, Rendering car without steering controls, car is oven, can bake cake. Journey cancelled, tow truck on the way.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2010 at 12:47. Reason: As requested
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:46   #183
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Oh Saar! So are you coming back now?! Its still 9 30 and imagine the heat after an hour!

Tow the car? You mean it will be loaded in a truck right?

Last edited by arun1100 : 18th May 2010 at 09:47.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:26   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
150 kms , State Highway 59. With low networkgood GPRS signal just to update this small tweet.

The car breaks down. Gearbox heating issues, UNbearable heat inside the cabin. No upholstry, roof hot. Steering packed up, Rendering car without steering controls car is oven .can bake cakejourney cancelled tow truck on the way

Pavan.

Hate to say this but its a good idea to sort out the mechanicals on any car before you move on to the cosmetics.

Ideally this should be driven for 200 to 300 KM to iron out all the glitches. Once satisfied then the rest of the restoration should go ahead.

Now you will mess up the paint job and such when the transmission and the steering are looked at
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:27   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
150 kms , State Highway 59. With low networkgood GPRS signal just to update this small tweet.

The car breaks down. Gearbox heating issues, UNbearable heat inside the cabin. No upholstry, roof hot. Steering packed up, Rendering car without steering controls car is oven .can bake cakejourney cancelled tow truck on the way
Oh no! Have a safe journey back. It can get much more hotter in next few hours.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:55   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,309
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Unhappy



Oh no - Pavan - sent you a SMS. Just get the car back safe and slow, there is always another chance to make it mechanically right and go to chennai again.

PS - Dont curse me now, this is why I offered to drive along with you in my jeep just in case...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:56   #187
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Oh Saar! So are you coming back now?! Its still 9 30 and imagine the heat after an hour!

Tow the car? You mean it will be loaded in a truck right?
Front wheels lifted and towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Pavan.

Hate to say this but its a good idea to sort out the mechanicals on any car before you move on to the cosmetics.

Ideally this should be driven for 200 to 300 KM to iron out all the glitches. Once satisfied then the rest of the restoration should go ahead.

Now you will mess up the paint job and such when the transmission and the steering are looked at
We had infact run the car before the paint job, the car had run on its own power from its initial resting place, to the mechanic, after the mechanicals was started , again driven to the tinkers place, and even after tinkering, the same car was driven effortlessly to the painter. All in all a 100 km run. And during testing, i drove the car for over 350 kms in 3 days time. I had a little niggling but very minor issues. We had sorted out all the issues before the D-Day.

The car also drove effortlessly for over 150 kms, we were 175 kms away from SriPerumbadur before the Steering packed up, almost no steering control. And the gearbox started to over heat, making the inside cabin heat unbearable.

We got back to the workshop in Bangalore now, and steering is being worked on. This car i suspect is a RHD to LHD conversion. Even the mechanics say so.

Forget the rest, This engine is a BMC amby engine (has 1500 script on the block) the RC book says engine changed in 1992 from 1098 cc to 1489 cc.

Chances of engine gearbox mating gone wrong.

Steering box will now be given to the lathe to work on. the transmission will be downed by evening.

PAINTJOB WILL REMAIN UNTOUCHED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Oh no! Have a safe journey back. It can get much more hotter in next few hours.
Aiyooooo... dont tell me sir. Happy to be back home.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:29   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

You have a point there. These Wolsleys were never made in LHD.

BTW why would anyone actually go to the trouble to convert it to LHD beats me.

If the engine is from an Amby then maybe you could get the Amby gearbox and it might work well.

Hope to see your project up and running soon.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:14   #189
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
You have a point there. These Wolsleys were never made in LHD.

BTW why would anyone actually go to the trouble to convert it to LHD beats me.

If the engine is from an Amby then maybe you could get the Amby gearbox and it might work well.

Hope to see your project up and running soon.
Regarding the RHD to LHD, its baffling me.

Maybe those days, to increase the car value the mechanic would have done this folly, anyways, this was a rather crude modification that gave way.

I feel, using the amby gearbox would make sense now, once in for all getting rid of the tandem master cylinder for good.

Got a nice Pacco carb today meant for the amby engine. this one was running rich.

Tomorrow again i am starting the second round of testing. Needs to see how well it performs.

Need some suggestions to cut down the unbearable in-cabin heat.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:51   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

You could stick heat insulation between over the transmission tunnel and the firewall to cut down on the heat.

By cabin heat what exactly are you experiencing ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 23:52   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I feel, using the amby gearbox would make sense now, once in for all getting rid of the tandem master cylinder for good.
And then we need to look in to differential gear ratio too?
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 20:49   #192
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
You could stick heat insulation between over the transmission tunnel and the firewall to cut down on the heat.

By cabin heat what exactly are you experiencing ?
Now that is the most important thing i need to do before making the next journey in this car. Provided the car owner agrees further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And then we need to look in to differential gear ratio too?
No Manish. there is a bit of disconnect that i have seen in the RC book. The original 1018 cc engine was replaced by a 1489cc BMC engine way back few years ago, The problem is "Wrong mating" The old gearbox is not able to take the brunt of the present engine.

The steering box is overhauled and fitted on the car, while i still have the kingpin noise, and a light bearing noise at the wheels.

Will work on it tomorrow.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 21:25   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

The car also drove effortlessly for over 150 kms, we were 175 kms away from SriPerumbadur before the Steering packed up, almost no steering control. And the gearbox started to over heat, making the inside cabin heat unbearable.
I really didn't expect this to happen. What do you mean that the steering packed up? What about the over heating ? What was happening actually?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

We got back to the workshop in Bangalore now, and steering is being worked on. This car i suspect is a RHD to LHD conversion. Even the mechanics say so.
Sir could you post a pic of the complete dash board and also if you could remove the carpets on both sides and see if there are and holes that have been closed up . That could give us an idea about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Forget the rest, This engine is a BMC amby engine (has 1500 script on the block) the RC book says engine changed in 1992 from 1098 cc to 1489 cc.

Chances of engine gearbox mating gone wrong.

Steering box will now be given to the lathe to work on. the transmission will be downed by evening.
Sir that is sad that the engine has been changed. Apart from that i would like to say that is the engine and gearbox wouldn't have mated well then you have some really strange problem like - for example in first your car would go too fast etc etc. So i personally can't say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
You could stick heat insulation between over the transmission tunnel and the firewall to cut down on the heat.

By cabin heat what exactly are you experiencing ?
I would like to know what is the material you are reffering to for heat insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

No Manish. there is a bit of disconnect that i have seen in the RC book. The original 1018 cc engine was replaced by a 1489cc BMC engine way back few years ago, The problem is "Wrong mating" The old gearbox is not able to take the brunt of the present engine.

The steering box is overhauled and fitted on the car, while i still have the kingpin noise, and a light bearing noise at the wheels.

Will work on it tomorrow.
If you think its the gear box problem then why not get an amby gearbox for it ? I can help you find one.

Were the bearings replaced during the restoration ?


Hope you didn't mind asking you these questions.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 19th May 2010 at 21:27.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 22:28   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default

On a positive note, its good the issues showed up before car reached the owner. If not, it might have been embarassing. Good luck on the last few remaining bits Pavan!
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 13:00   #195
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
On a positive note, its good the issues showed up before car reached the owner. If not, it might have been embarassing. Good luck on the last few remaining bits Pavan!

It really doesn't matter sir.Its an old car, these things are bound to happen. There is nothing to be embarassed about.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blog on Terrible accidental repair experience at VW Bhopal sridhu Indian Car Dealerships 53 19th May 2014 13:54
Blog on terrible dealership experience at Pinnacle Nissan, Thrissur Gannu_1 Indian Car Dealerships 10 11th January 2014 16:27
Driving a British car on British roads - The Mini Cooper S! raj_5004 The International Automotive Scene 9 14th August 2013 09:47
Terrible experience of booking a Dzire vdi from Modern Automobiles, Ambala natthu Indian Car Dealerships 6 22nd May 2011 19:05
Terrible experience with i-Phone, dealer and service; advice needed Guna Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 21st October 2009 12:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks