Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 20th May 2010, 18:47   #196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
On a positive note, its good the issues showed up before car reached the owner. If not, it might have been embarassing. Good luck on the last few remaining bits Pavan!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
It really doesn't matter sir.Its an old car, these things are bound to happen. There is nothing to be embarassed about.
Yes Indrojit,

I've decided against a loooong journey with this car. No Way.

Also, the gearbox and diffrential thing can be avoided if its only a show car driven within the city.

I understood, under our limited resources, its only better to get the present combination running best.

It will be a major job, if it involves the engine, gearbox and diffrentials

Which at the present situation is ruled out.

Got 140 grade gearbox and transmission oil, will infuse them tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be another set of testing, hope nothing new crops up.

All in all, the car is good to be driven around the city roads, i.e., for any road shows or for some classic and vintage car rally's. I hope thats sufficient.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 00:37   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Yes Indrojit,

I've decided against a loooong journey with this car. No Way.

Also, the gearbox and diffrential thing can be avoided if its only a show car driven within the city.

I understood, under our limited resources, its only better to get the present combination running best.

It will be a major job, if it involves the engine, gearbox and diffrentials

Which at the present situation is ruled out.

Got 140 grade gearbox and transmission oil, will infuse them tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be another set of testing, hope nothing new crops up.

All in all, the car is good to be driven around the city roads, i.e., for any road shows or for some classic and vintage car rally's. I hope thats sufficient.

One this is don't give up and the other is the more you drive it the more reliable the car will get.The problems will keep cropping up and the more you tackel them the finner the car will get.

Best of luck for tomorrow's day
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:43   #198
Senior - BHPian

So what is the Update now ? Is the overheating problem sorted out? What are the results of the road tests conducted now ?
Old 26th May 2010, 10:05   #199
BANNED

Quote:
So what is the Update now ? Is the overheating problem sorted out? What are the results of the road tests conducted now ?
Presently Aaaalll izzzzz well......

What was diagnosed as gear box issue was just drop in the oil level, But the main trouble is with the engine shaft, thats making some grinding noise. Mech says, 3k we can get a good Amby engine and can be transplanted.

Need to work out on the options, With the car owner not in country and my pockets already bleeded too much into this project, work presently is on hold.

Car is running fine, without any issues . But alignment is become a BIG issue at hand, no one has readings for this kind of set-up. I went to get it done manually, but they are not able to find the washers / shims for alignment

Pending work.

1) Engine related issue
2) Firewall to reduce in-cabin noise and heat.
3) Upholstery
4) Rubbing and polishing.
5) Alignment.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:01   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But alignment is become a BIG issue at hand, no one has readings for this kind of set-up. I went to get it done manually, but they are not able to find the washers / shims for alignment

5) Alignment.
Alignment is a real pain in neck. Shims might be available at Industrial stores. The easiest way to diagnose misallignment and or bearing issues is by vibration meter (but i don't think so if any body uses them in cars).

Bye the way does your gearbox mount directly on flywheel housing or do you have some spacer plate to match the mounting holes. In either care if the mating surface is not warped allignment should not be an issue.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 18:26   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Alignment is a real pain in neck. Shims might be available at Industrial stores. The easiest way to diagnose misallignment and or bearing issues is by vibration meter (but i don't think so if any body uses them in cars).

Bye the way does your gearbox mount directly on flywheel housing or do you have some spacer plate to match the mounting holes. In either care if the mating surface is not warped allignment should not be an issue.

Have ordered shims from one guy, might get them by week end.

No spacer, since the amby engine is a BMC engine and the wolsleys had the similar block the engine mates, but the trouble starts with the clutch operation and powerful engine.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:36   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No spacer, since the amby engine is a BMC engine and the wolsleys had the similar block the engine mates, but the trouble starts with the clutch operation and powerful engine.
Then our problem is not that of allignment and that of matching / sizing . I believe Behram Sir will have some advice for us. Basically the characterstic curves of the Engine and that of gearbox should match in order to have a good matching.
Old 28th May 2010, 02:30   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What was diagnosed as gear box issue was just drop in the oil level, But the main trouble is with the engine shaft, thats making some grinding noise. Mech says, 3k we can get a good Amby engine and can be transplanted.

Need to work out on the options, With the car owner not in country and my pockets already bleeded too much into this project, work presently is on hold.

Quote:

My suggestion is since the car has an amby engine why not put in an amby gearbox and then just sort the problem out once and for all.You can then get ridof the tandem master cylinder and have a normal cable operated clutch and also change the master cylinder and put in a new master cylinder with a matching servo? Your brakes , clutch and gear box problems are sorted out and then the car can be a reguler user and that is the ultimate aim isn't it ? Consider what i said.
Old 1st June 2010, 00:27   #204
Senior - BHPian

What's the update ?
Old 1st June 2010, 00:33   #205
BANNED

Quote:
What's the update ?

The car is running fine apart from the grinding noise in the engine.

Getting the rubbing polishing done and now planning to drive it to the owners house.

Will drop it , as its a big risk on my part to keep a neatly painted car.

Will upload some more pics of the car tomorrow.
Old 1st June 2010, 00:35   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is running fine apart from the grinding noise in the engine.

Getting the rubbing polishing done and now planning to drive it to the owners house.

Will drop it , as its a big risk on my part to keep a neatly painted car.

Will upload some more pics of the car tomorrow.

Ok one thing i would say is please check all the engine and Gearbox mounthings once again.Looking forward to the pics.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:38   #207
BANNED

Some updates,

Nothing much, car is running fine, covered and parked.
Attached Images

Old 3rd June 2010, 11:15   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some updates,

Nothing much, car is running fine, covered and parked.
The car is looking awesome and the only sore point is the front windshield, if the chromed insert variety was in abundance, the same would have looked awesome.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The car is looking awesome and the only sore point is the front windshield, if the chromed insert variety was in abundance, the same would have looked awesome.

If we are looking from the originality prospect then it is just right but if you are thinking from the prospect of a show car then i agree with you.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:30   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we are looking from the originality prospect then it is just right but if you are thinking from the prospect of a show car then i agree with you.
yes yes show car, that's how the owner wanted it. With all that chrome in the front, the windscreen rubber looks out of place.