Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 8th March 2010, 20:44   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Those lights were imported 3 months ago saar. You'll go mad if you see the tail lights. Kindly hold your breath untill tomorrow noon.
Dude after so much ho halla (debate) on the originality and the make you are doing modifications?? And I do see some cheap Side repeators on the hand of mechanic, will those be fitted too?

Also do you mean that you imported the orange lights?? they are available dime a dozen with bus body builders??

Well if the owner wants it than we are no one to comment.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 21:11   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
From which car are those lights from?
I'll end the suspense, those lights are available at J C Road, the orange indicators are from the Bus. and the chrome fog lamps are from the Santro.

And to end further more suspense, i am posting the pic of the rear tail light assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Dude after so much ho halla (debate) on the originality and the make you are doing modifications?? And I do see some cheap Side repeators on the hand of mechanic, will those be fitted too?

Also do you mean that you imported the orange lights?? they are available dime a dozen with bus body builders??

Well if the owner wants it than we are no one to comment.
Manish, From the time this thread started, i have always maintained in many of my replies, that this car will be kept original. But since the car owner needs this to be a show car more than an original Concurs car. I am taking a bit of liberties with his permissions.

The designs are purely mine, but the final approval is from the car owner.

Those side indicators also might not go on the vehicle, i have purchased many such lights from the local market, will be using whichever suits. And some information in advance, this car will get LED indicators on the Centre pillar where the trafficators were supposed to have been.

And no prizes for guessing where this tail light assembly came from.
Attached Images

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:46   #78
BANNED

One more new request from the car owner.

"The car needs to have an airy feel! i need a bigger glass at the rear"

Even inspite of feeling its all DONE, we came across new blunders on the car, even the inside beading channels were rusted and had generous coats of metal paste. New metal replaced.

This was an initial requirement, so the tinkers life was HELL, He sat for nearly 3 weeks to get the actual frame made, and i needed 3 weeks to get a toughned glass made.

We have now cut open the existing frame and added the new frame onto the car, YES INDEED the car is loooking nice and airy after adding the new BIG glass at the rear.

Tomorrow is the last day for tinkering, after which the painter will take over.

Posting some comparison pics of earlier and present.
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2010, 21:34   #79
Team-BHP Support

Wow wow wow! Now i know whom to catch if i need to do some metal work on the Jeep. Thats a hell lot of metal work that you and your team has carried out.

Excellent, keep updating. Rating the thread now
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:09   #80
BHPian

Hi, Here in HYDERABAD is a similiar car and in well restored condition
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:41   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thats a hell lot of metal work that you and your team has carried out.

Excellent, keep updating. Rating the thread now
Thank you very much

This car was looking good when it came in for restoration, i was under the impression this will be a cakewalk, little did i know what i am getting into

The tinkering guy is going through great stress working under my supervision, but the car owners demands needs to be met.

The engine will be started in a couple of days time, though there's nothing wrong with it, we got lot of new spares replaced, its time now to get the engine run for a while, check the brakes and handover the car to the painter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
Hi, Here in HYDERABAD is a similiar car and in well restored condition
Buddy, could you please post some pics, and HYD is sure a great place for cars, no one can know it better than me. lol....
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
And to end further more suspense, i am posting the pic of the rear tail light assembly.
Man this is Crazy, Bus lights, car lamps and now Bike's ones. If it's owners wish then I have nothing to say. Carry on Janni.
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:26   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Man this is Crazy, Bus lights, car lamps and now Bike's ones. If it's owners wish then I have nothing to say. Carry on Janni.
Dont get worked up buddy

This will be one of its kind restoration. As i have maintained all through the process, NOT LOOKING AT ORIGINALITY. This will be more of highlight given on preparing a SHOW CAR. lots of BLING and etc.,

End of it, this car will be an amazing piece in its own.

It took some time for me to understand the thought, but i am getting it as its progressing.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Why not take the roof off entirely ...it wioll be nice and airy then and will surely be a "one of a kind Show Car "
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Why not take the roof off entirely ...it wioll be nice and airy then and will surely be a "one of a kind Show Car "
+1 to that, that should make her really distinctive. But then all is depending on the owners wish.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:00   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Quote:
+1 to that, that should make her really distinctive. But then all is depending on the owners wish.
Nice joke

But only the final outcome will tell all, till then i'll just keep updating
Old 6th April 2010, 19:50   #87
BANNED

Phew.... The tinkering just got COMPLETE today

I've been under tremendous pressure from the owner to finish the painting in the next 20 days.

6 months into such an exhaustive restoration, i doubt, it'll be possible. i am hoping it will somehow.

Have called 4-5 different painters till date, each estimate is ranging between 35K to 50K. My regular painter has his handsfull presently, he needs to finish some pending works at the workshop and also the VW Fastback to finish.

Running against time.
Old 12th April 2010, 23:49   #88
BANNED

Finally, this saturday the MG was towed to a well known paintshop within my vicinity.

Quotation seemed quite good with the Dupont (SUPER) paint. Moreover due to availability of new equipments, Time for delivery also is 15 days. I am now relieved.

BUT....! this is the time most of the other things need to be attended to.

1) Wiring
2) Upholstery
3) Mechanicals
4) Fittings
5) Chrome
6) Dashboard
7) Meters
8) Tyres

Painter has already started, which is good. But my work to organize the above is really daunting. :(
Old 13th April 2010, 00:19   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

I cannot find it, but was there not a thread on customised cars in this vintage & classic section? This thread would fit there.
But by saying this, I do not want to discount Pavan Kadams efforts and creativity, he is doing a great job. I suggest to Pavan not to get egged on, stay cool, finish the job and let pictures do the talking.
This is not about originality, as the initial project was not original, it had an identity crisis, but now there is real creativity, waiting for the final outcome.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 00:24   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I cannot find it, but was there not a thread on customised cars in this vintage & classic section? This thread would fit there.
But by saying this, I do not want to discount Pavan Kadams efforts and creativity, he is doing a great job. I suggest to Pavan not to get egged on, stay cool, finish the job and let pictures do the talking.
This is not about originality, as the initial project was not original, it had an identity crisis, but now there is real creativity, waiting for the final outcome.

Cheers harit

Thank you very much sir.

As Mr Naren is not too keen on originality since this had some mix and match during his initial purchase, he gave me the liberty in using my creativity.

His vision of a SHOW CAR and my CREATIVITY must match up somewhere, only time will tell.

Will update soon with the paint process pics.